COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 70 people getting sick at the Wisconsin rally is concerning. My hope has always been that you're fairly safe outdoors, even around other people. That notion would open up quite a few family activities during all of this. But alas..

It's quite possible that the virus will actually become more benign (as they often do) through mutation, while at the same time, antibodies build in the host population (people).

SARS effectively disappeared in a manner that could be described as "miraculous" to someone that lacks a command of virology and viral infection of humans.

Chuck...have you ever considered switching jobs. You have a knack for this medical stuff and we could use folks like you on our side!!!!

Covid or no Covid, that's nasty.

I'm curious to see what the numbers look like for Texas this week. Speaking anecdotally from what I've seen on Facebook and heard from friends, the "soft" re-opening from the government had the effect if giving people cover to stop being as cautious as everyone had been. I think a lot of people are "over" all of the precautions, and depending on the person they see it as a green light to get back to doing what they normally do. Bars and restaurants were packed this weekend, and there are a bunch of bars, particularly outdoor type places in exurbs/rural areas that are not taking the 25% capacity thing seriously at all. In those places, there's really nobody that is going to enforce it. I'm withholding judgement until I see what happens to the numbers over the next week or two.

I think you have to give it two weeks at minimum - but three to four will be more revealing. Another element of it is that it will be more difficult to go back to enhanced mitigation . . . as public willingness will be reduced and, thus, political risk will be increased.

Alabama is opening up more and more. Below is what opened today. It is time. Beaches, hotels, businesses were opened a week ago.

"Gov. Kay Ivey announced the loosening of restrictions last week. Businesses including restaurants, hair salons, bars, breweries and gymnasiums can reopen Monday with rules including crowd limits and cleaning requirements."

Church advisory board update. As I mentioned previously, I was asked to be a part of a church advisory board regarding re-opening the the setting of COVID-19. Our job was to give recommendations to the church that ultimately will be considered by church leadership.

The board consists of 10 members...2 physicians, a number of ICU/ED nurses, and two healthcare administrators.

7 out of 10 showed significant concern about the virus and the possibility of reopening. Many of the common themes were challenges with childcare, limited PPE, and a high elderly population. 1 of the 10, one of the healthcare administrators shows zero concern for the virus, stating our our region was minimally affected by the virus and for that reason he chooses to live his life without fear. 2 of the 10, both physicians, noted that as soon local and federal recommendations are made to open churches, that it should be allowable but with phases.

I think you have to give it two weeks at minimum - but three to four will be more revealing. Another element of it is that it will be more difficult to go back to enhanced mitigation . . . as public willingness will be reduced and, thus, political risk will be increased.

I'm not sure it would be possible to go back to tighter restrictions, at least in Texas. The cities might do it, but the rural areas won't. I think we're pot-committed at this point, for better or worse.

Alabama is opening up more and more. Below is what opened today. It is time. Beaches, hotels, businesses were opened a week ago.

"Gov. Kay Ivey announced the loosening of restrictions last week. Businesses including restaurants, hair salons, bars, breweries and gymnasiums can reopen Monday with rules including crowd limits and cleaning requirements."

Here's Alabama's new case chart (you have to toggle it to the right twice). With 7-day average being the most often cited metric, Alabama's trajectory is still very upward. It would be truly puzzling if that trajectory wasn't significantly steeper in three weeks.

Chuck...have you ever considered switching jobs. You have a knack for this medical stuff and we could use folks like you on our side!!!!

Thanks, I don't think I have much interest in actual medicine. But I do think the virology and epidemiology are fascinating. I think in another life I might have enjoyed that work (on the academic or research side).

Last edited:
My sister-in-law is a nurse practitioner specializing in dialysis, but she isn't on the clinical side anymore, she works with a renal medicine NGO in Washington (DC).

In their weekly conference calls, their medical executives talk regularly about how Covid-19 likely damages organs outside of the primary respiratory system disease . . . and that there's still so much unknown about the pathology of this infection. All the more reason to avoid getting infected by it.

Same idea:

“We don’t know why there are so many disease presentations,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. “Bottom line, this is just so new that there’s a lot we don’t know.”

More than four months of clinical experience across Asia, Europe and North America has shown the pathogen does much more than invade the lungs. “No one was expecting a disease that would not fit the pattern of pneumonia and respiratory illness,” said David Reich, a cardiac anesthesiologist and president of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

It attacks the heart, weakening its muscles and disrupting its critical rhythm. It savages kidneys so badly some hospitals have run short of dialysis equipment. It crawls along the nervous system, destroying taste and smell and occasionally reaching the brain. It creates blood clots that can kill with sudden efficiency and inflames blood vessels throughout the body.

Dr Mike does a fact check on the Plandemic video.

More research evidence that pangolins remain the strongest candidate for intermediate host:

Nonsense. We all know that Bill Gates stole the virus from the Wuhan lab, deposited some of it on 5G cell towers, and then brought it to Seattle, where the first Covid 19 cases occurred. Microsoft's headquarters is in Seattle, right? See, it all makes sense.

Wow, I just made up my own conspiracy theory! And it's only slightly more idiotic than some of the demented ones I have heard about.
Feel free to add your own ridiculous conspiracy theory here: ______________________

The 70 people getting sick at the Wisconsin rally is concerning. My hope has always been that you're fairly safe outdoors, even around other people. That notion would open up quite a few family activities during all of this. But alas..
Out of curiosity, why would you think being outside would have you safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom