COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
we'd just talked a couple of pages ago about the importance of coming together, as a nation, in the face of a pandemic like this.

I just posted this a couple of hours ago:

but, you know, this is how it *should* be

a freaking pandemic that's killing Americans should be something we can all rally around

Well, that was short lived.

That press conference moves the country in the exact opposite direction. That doesn't help inform people. It doesn't put anyone at ease. It alienates entire states.

This should be a time of unity and we just can't seem to do it. Congress couldn't, really. And the WH certainly didn't today. I agree with the earlier comment about how this dynamic is one of the ugliest parts of this crisis, when it should be something that we can all rally around.

Looks like we had the right idea starting the humor thread
=================

BOSTON (AP) — Neil Diamond posts a fireside rendition of “Sweet Caroline” with its familiar lyrics tweaked to say, “Hands ... washing hands.” A news anchor asks when social distancing will end because “my husband keeps trying to get into the house.”

And a sign outside a neighborhood church reads: “Had not planned on giving up quite this much for Lent.”

Are we allowed to chuckle yet? We’d better, psychologists and humorists say. Laughter can be the best medicine, they argue, so long as it’s within the bounds of good taste.

And in a crisis, it can be a powerful coping mechanism.

“It’s more than just medicine. It’s survival,” said Erica Rhodes, a Los Angeles comedian.

“Even during the Holocaust, people told jokes,” Rhodes said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

“Laughter is a symbol of hope, and it becomes one of our greatest needs of life, right up there with toilet paper.

It’s a physical need people have. You can’t underestimate how it heals people and gives them hope.”...........

I think you misunderstood
You have people who are blaming all inaction or wrong action that has occurred on the president

My point is that for that to be true people would have to be unable to think for themselves, have empathy for others, or sense of responsibility

How many Congressmen were sounding an early warning? They have access to the same info.
Agreed... Not sure why it has to be "all or nothing" with some people... I didn't say the thread wasn't informative... I didn't say this thread wasn't ahead of the game...

I said there is too much Hindsight discussion going on in an otherwise great thread I read daily, and we'll have plenty of time to bicker and judge "what should have been".... once this is over.... In the current setting... It's pointless.

I expressed my feelings on that... No need to keep up the game. It's not a "theory"... It was an observation and point of contention for me... I said my peace.
Not to pick on you, but I recall you on the MAP board in late February questioning why we should treat this any different from the normal flu, and saying you "knew" the reason - i.e., it was all media hype (to hurt the President, according to some).

So my question is: Why did you feel that way then?

Perhaps not having the benefit of "hindsight" was because you were buying into the narrative of your President and preferred news sources during February.

Not to pick on you, but I recall you on the MAP board in late February questioning why we should treat this any different from the normal flu, and saying you "knew" the reason - i.e., it was all media hype (to hurt the President, according to some).

So my question is: Why did you feel that way then?

Perhaps not having the benefit of "hindsight" was because you were buying into the narrative of your President and preferred news sources during February.

No problem at all but you are mistaken. I do not post on the MAP board. I just did a search and nobody is even using my username

Florida looking like it's pretty well under control. May 14th looking like Peak hospital bed resources, and we have about 4 times the beds needed, or double for the worst case predictions. The question is how long people are in those beds, and how that stacks up. NY looking like it's going to get overwhelmed.

Good thing Florida has a ton of hospitals due to the elderly.

Laugh all you want, but we're handling it better in Florida and we're way more populous than Louisiana..

It would be better if he could force it.

One of my younger coworkers has a close friend who just came from NY, and all of their friends here told that girl that they'd see her arse in 14 days and she better stay home. She's self quarantined herself. I like seeing that level of "doing the right thing" in the 20 somethings of today. Gives me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom