COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So .66% is the death rate based on this research that contains a lot of conjecture. Either way, a virus that is spreading this easily and quickly killing .66% of the people that get it is still a HUGE deal. I don't see how anyone doesn't get that.

That said, if you put your analytical cap on and really dig into the premise of this article, for them to say that only .66% is the true death rate while the 4% death rate are merely known cases, that assumes that there are 3.34% more cases of the virus throughout the whole population and it is not included in the total numbers, which seems like an absurdly high number on a global scale. It also assumes that every single one of the undocumented cases around the globe did not result in a death.

I need to analyze my math more, because I actually think my number in this analysis should be higher than 3.34%. It may be a number closer to 76% more unknown cases that did not result in a death, but my brain is too fried at this point of the day.

That said, regardless of any of this, there are 42,000 people that have died from this around the globe and counting, and we are merely at the beginning stages of this. The U.S. numbers will also start to skyrocket once the hospitals reach capacity and we run out of available ventilators, just as they have everywhere else.

What, at this point makes anyone think the United States' fate will be any different than any other country's? If anything, the stats show we are in store to be the worst out of everybody.
We will never know.........North Korea, Russia, China & Iran could end up far worse.....but they will never tell the world the truth about their numbers.

Did you read about the dad, who had a son down there with the spring breakers?

After his son flew back home, the dad refused to allow him to be in the house. The dad told his son, “grandma & grandpa live in this house & I am not going to let you infect them with whatever you have been exposed to while on spring break.”
So they put a bunch of food in the kid’s car & he was not allowed in the house.

The kid eventually just returned to his off campus apartment at whatever college he was attending.

That was a smart dad. ?

“If I catch the Corona then I catch the Corona man”.

This just shows that they are testing more. It's a "good news" graph in the sense that it's another piece of anecdotal evidence that there are a lot of cases out there that we don't know about due to lack of testing and people with low-end symptoms not bothering with treatment. But it's not really shocking either way.

yep. For example - LA won’t even test you unless you are symptomatic.

after SARS, Ontario stockpiled a ton of masks, but the issue was the elasticized bands, apparently - as CB noted above. The masks, themselves, most people seemed to think were okay but agreed that these things could/should be inventoried better (they couldn't find all of them... whaaaa?) and rotated as stock. These supplies are always needed, so a couple of years before the extras expire, just release those to hospitals to use and don't order new ones.

It doesn't seem that difficult.

But reading about how states are bidding against one another for PPE is ridiculous.

I read where some states were trying to order them because the Fed told them to order it themselves, only to have the Fed bidding against them or seizing the ones that they'd ordered.

Every state needs them - why can't there be a central body or regional bodies to oversee the distribution of these things?
Because, without bidding the manufacturers don't make as much money.

They should really just use the reusable masks with the replaceable filters.
I was thinking this, too, but then realized that they probably don’t want to bring the ”dirty” part of the mask into other areas. We use n100 half face respirators with filters that screw into sockets on them for our welders at work. Better protection than n95 but if you don’t disinfect it properly after each patient interaction, you could carry the virus from room to room on the elastic band or mask part of the respirator. The user would be safe but could expose a lot of others.

Do we have actual global laws? Like Murder? Is that a global law?

Or eating a friggin bat, or monkey steaks, or canine tenders?

No unfortunately. China made the practice legal for their country I believe in the 60s or 70s due to poverty.

Sorry again

giphy.gif

Interesting, and @Brennan77 this veers into some of what you and I were talking about. When I saw that one family where 4 or 5 of them died from COVID at relatively young age and they were all very very obese, that stuck out to me as a yellow flag. I don't mean to be insensitive to the family or to anyone who struggles with weight. I just mean from an observational standpoint, that set off some alarms in my head. You have 4 or 5 people in the same family who all fall into age brackets with like a one half of one percent fatality rate. The chances of that happening in a vacuum are around 1 in 1.6 billion. It wasn't coincidence.

We talked about that family about 1000 pages back.

Large Italian family that enjoyed decades of delicious Italian dinners & pastries at grandma’s house every Sunday.

The sad part is, they were all high functioning, productive members of their community & of their beloved church.

Just a sad tragedy for the remaining members of the family.

Last edited:

...only 865 Americans died from this today, no big deal guys.

There was a very vocal "it's just the flu" crowd on my Facebook two weeks ago. I would usually derive some satisfaction from being so comprehensively proven right, save for this is tragic and quite frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom