COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck. I haven't read these but I did see some older work on SARS that stated the timing of administration made a large difference. It only appeared to have a benefit when given very early on. Are these new studies stratified for the timing of when the drug is given in terms of early or late?

Edit: After a quick scan of this one it doesn't appear they looked at the timing of drug administration. This can have a large effect on outcomes. It might not be time to dismiss it yet as it may still be beneficial for some people.

Yeah perhaps - I was just saying it's another study finding no meaningful effect on outcome across a set of patients in the study. This one in JAMA.

Yeah perhaps - I was just saying it's another study finding no meaningful effect on outcome across a set of patients in the study. This one in JAMA.

There seems to be plenty of them lately. I haven't seen any yet looking at timing of delivery being a factor though. At least not yet. It may not make a difference but might be worth investigating.

I wonder how the vaccine trials are doing up in Washington (was it there?) that they started a while back. I know it'll probably be a while before we get some meaningful results, but I sure am curious.

If they want to do that, let them. I'll take the precautions I need to protect myself and family. Let Darwin decide the rest. :scratch:

Not really serious, but sorta. I'm just hoping enough people take it seriously that the knuckleheads will sort of knock themselves out while the rest of us watch.

According to Opentable, in the states that have reopened, restaurants are still only getting about 10% of the traffic that they did this time last year. It gives me some confidence that we can trust people to not be complete idiots about re-opening. At the same time you have to feel for the employees that are more or less forced to be guinea pigs as their employers open up.

I’m an adult, you’re and adult. If you want to go out and play, go, but if you get sick and die due to your own stupidity, well thems the breaks. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Need to add a covid verse

Underneath all of the social/political debate, the balance of public health versus economic health, the rights of the individual versus the safety of the collective . . . under all of that, some really amazing science is being done on a scale that humankind has never mustered in all of history.

Although the genome of the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been available since January, how the virus transcribes and uses its genome was not known. As an RNA virus, SARS-CoV-2 produces many smaller RNAs called subgenomic RNAs once it enters the host cell. These subgenomic RNAs might be good targets for stopping the progression of COVID-19, the disease called by SARS-CoV-2.

In the present study, Kim and her team have successfully combined two different RNA sequencing methods to dissect the architecture of the SARS-CoV-2 genome. The researchers not only confirmed the predicted the subgenomic RNAs that are translated into viral proteins but also revealed exactly where the genes are located on the genomic RNA.

“Apart from detailing the structure of SARS-CoV-2, we also discovered numerous new RNAs and multiple unknown chemical modification on the viral RNAs. Our work provides a high-resolution map of SARS-CoV-2. This map will help understand how the virus replicates and how it escapes the human defense system,” said Kim, who is the director of the IBS Center for RNA Research.

In addition to confirming that only nine out of the ten previously known subgenomic RNAs exist, the researchers also found that there are dozens of unknown subgenomic RNAs, owing to RNA fusion and deletion events.

Media story:

Original report:

If it was up to many of my doctor friends I’m convinced that we’d NEVER reopen. Many are convinced that we must uphold strict social distancing at its current level until COVID is eradicated. Seeing people starve in the streets from hunger be damned. It’s not based on science...it’s based on fear, wishful thinking, inability to accept difficult truths, and their own personal bias. God love them...they do care about people...but in a short-sighted, narrow focused type of way.
There is nothing rational or logical about resorting to hyperbole to make a point. Hyperbole is an emotion and personal bias driven appeal to the emotions and biases of others. There's nothing logical or rational about it.

Where can people be seen starving in the streets from hunger as a direct and exclusive result of physical distancing, staying at home as much as possible and wearing a mask when leaving the home?

Maybe some people need to accept the possibility that a difficult truth is that we will have to make some financial sacrifices and change some of our habits to prevent avoidable suffering and dying?

We do what we can to prevent all suffering and death from all causes. Show me one thing that people suffer and die from that we don't do what we can to save as many people as we can from that suffering and dying. I would think any health care professional would know this.

By what logical and rational reasons should our response to COVD-19 be any different from our response to all other causes of suffering and death?

There is nothing rational or logical about resorting to hyperbole to make a point. Hyperbole is an emotion and personal bias driven appeal to the emotions and biases of others. There's nothing logical or rational about it.

Where can people be seen starving in the streets from hunger as a direct and exclusive result of physical distancing, staying at home as much as possible and wearing a mask when leaving the home?

Maybe some people need to accept the possibility that a difficult truth is that we will have to make some financial sacrifices and change some of our habits to prevent avoidable suffering and dying?

We do what we can to prevent all suffering and death from all causes. Show me one thing that people suffer and die from that we don't do what we can to save as many people as we can from that suffering and dying. I would think any health care professional would know this.

By what logical and rational reasons should our response to COVD-19 be any different from our response to all other causes of suffering and death?

Good question.Death and suffering are, from what I understand, part of life. This is by far the most attention a single disease process has been paid in decades, easily. The response has been unprecedented. So the answer to your last question is pretty simple in my opinion...our response hasn’t been consistent with our prior response to past sufferings from disease, it’s been much greater.

What’s your plan? What time table are you looking at? Are you waiting for the vaccine to save us a year from now? The vaccine that may or may not actually hit?

You have the means to ride this thing out until it’s eradicated 2 to million years from now? Good for you I suppose. Other people in this world need to be able to support their families...something that is a big challenge when business are closing their doors and you’re competing with the millions of already unemployed. The curve has been flattened...now we just need to keep it flat. Yes sacrifices will still need to be made, but I’m personally interested in seeing how much we can get away with while keeping the curve flattened. That’s the entire strategy of reopening in phases.

I posted earlier that after watching the White House briefing‘s on the coronavirus in the way this particular man child of the leader that we had acted was totally uncalled for and not what we expect out of our leaders, my post was deleted and I’m not sure by who or why but I stand by my comment which was ,we have a petulant man child trying to pretend That he knows better than to professionals. Let me Say it again, November 3 can’t get here fast enough

For more discussion on the political tip, check out the sister-site: https://madaboutpolitics.com/thread...coronavirus-edition.54020/page-119#post-92312

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom