COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on my toddler. His fever has been gone a day now. He is back to normal activity wise and no other issues. We went to pediatrician today. He said he has been saying cases of kids getting Fever for two days and their fine. He said the universe is messing with us. He’s confident it was just a virus. He did not test my son with the more accurate test because he doesn’t think he needs it since fever only lasted two days.

He also said that their office has tested over 50 kids and test has come back negative. He is cleared to go back to daycare.

Just wanted to share for those on the fence about sending your kids to daycare. They probably will get a little virus since they have been in the house so long.

Have we talked about positives getting counted again for the same person who gets tested every two weeks in order to be cleared? I think we have, but I couldn't remember. I know a guy who had been in the hospital with the rona, he improved and went home. This was about a month ago. He's had to go for testing to be cleared to go back to work, but he's still tested positive. I know he's been tested at least once or twice since then. Those numbers are adding to case counts, but technically it's the same person with the same infection. I wonder how many other cases are like this and contributing to the numbers?
We have a guy at work in the same boat. He can't get released either.

I thought you had a Catholic education, or maybe I misremembered. Our faith is incarnational because our God is incarnational and chooses to meet us where we are as human beings made of flesh. We receive grace in physical signs that efficaciously convey the reality they represent. We call these sacraments of which there are seven. Baptism, reconciliation, Eucharist, confirmation, marriage, holy orders, anointing of the sick. The source and summit of the Christian life is the Eucharist, given to us in the sacrifice of the mass.

It's like this. Imagine being married but only being able to see your wife through video chat. That's not going to hold up for very long. It's not a viable way of being as marriage demands a physical encounter by its nature. So it is with Christ and his Bride, the Church.

The Sacraments aren't a suicide pact.

God is not bound by the Sacraments, that is also something the Church teaches.

Last edited:
The Amish in Lancaster County are rocking on. I believe they only missed 2 weeks of church in the very beginning. They started with eliminating the meal after church, but that has been phased back. No masks and no distancing. I expected a huge outbreak, but have not heard of any from my Amish friends. Maybe they have stronger immune systems?
It could be because they're a bit more isolated than the rest of us.

For those wondering about Sweden and their herd immunity plan:

oops.

If you're wondering about what it would take for us to get herd immunity here in the states, we'd need roughly 90% of the populace to have the antibodies through a vaccine or by contracting the virus. There is no vaccine, so we'd need to make sure about 297,000,000 people got it. Of course, that means about 3,000,000 people would die. That's why the idea is nonsense. Unless you're willing to accept 3,000,000 people dead from this?

For those wondering about Sweden and their herd immunity plan:

oops.

If you're wondering about what it would take for us to get herd immunity here in the states, we'd need roughly 90% of the populace to have the antibodies through a vaccine or by contracting the virus. There is no vaccine, so we'd need to make sure about 297,000,000 people got it. Of course, that means about 3,000,000 people would die. That's why the idea is nonsense. Unless you're willing to accept 3,000,000 people dead from this?
I'm not up on South America right now but isn't Brazil headed that way too?

If 10 people are in a hot tub and 2 of them decide to pee in the hot tub, ALL 10 get exposed to urine. I am not sure this is the best analogy but this feels about right to me. Even with 80% of the people social distancing, everyone can get exposed by the 20% not. But in this case, the number of those NOT social distancing might be higher than 20%.

Is the world THIS full of fools or am I on the wrong side of this thing? When this is all said and done, one side of this will be compared to "Flat-earthers" and I don't THINK it will be the people advocating for caution but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:

Bishops.jpeg

Exactly.
From a Catholic perspective, this should not be cause to close churches or restrict access to the sacraments. Reasonable accommodation can be made to reduce risks.

My father, who is every bit as devout a Catholic as you disagrees.

I think you phrased this statement incorrectly and perhaps you should have said "From this Catholic's perspective" rather than presuming to speak for the Church. In fact, I think the Pope disagrees with you, as well.

It's like this. Imagine being married but only being able to see your wife through video chat. That's not going to hold up for very long. It's not a viable way of being as marriage demands a physical encounter by its nature. So it is with Christ and his Bride, the Church.

And, you would think Christ demands you to leave your wife if she was somehow confined in some place where you could not physically be with her? Prison, an isolation chamber for some sort of immunity issue or say as an astronaut?

I don't get what you're saying.

And, you would think Christ demands you to leave your wife if she was somehow confined in some place where you could not physically be with her? Prison, an isolation chamber for some sort of immunity issue or say as an astronaut?

He's expressed the theology correctly but incompletely.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Not only is it not essential....it is truly disturbing that so many so-called Christians think this is a good idea....I mean if you believe in the Christian God, do you think he/she would actually want you to put your fellow Christians in danger just so you could worship him/her?

1. The history of Christianity is full of people risking their lives for the faith. But that is not necessarily relevant as...

2. No one is talking about taking unnecessary or disproportionate risks without reasonable precautions.

3. No one is forced or obliged to take risks. In fact, those at higher risk or whose personalities incline them to be risk averse are discouraged from doing so.

We should avoid propping 'opponents' as an exponent of the most unreasonable extremes possible.

Did I say that the sacraments are a suicide pact? No. Did I say that they are irreplaceable and that reasonable accommodations should be made where possible? Yes. Those are different sentiments altogether and I suspect you know that.

I also suspect you know that desiring my daughter to reasonably use the slide at the playground is not the same thing as being willfully complicit in the deaths of 100k human beings.

And sure, God is not bound by the sacraments. But we are, as that is the normative path to specific graces as instituted by Christ our Lord. Your statement is not license to dispense with the Eucharist altogether. As your helpful article illustrates, we should prioritize access to them rather than simply shutting them down, even when there is a plague.

1. The history of Christianity is full of people risking their lives for the faith. But that is not necessarily relevant as...

2. No one is talking about taking unnecessary or disproportionate risks without reasonable precautions.

3. No one is forced or obliged to take risks. In fact, those at higher risk or whose personalities incline them to be risk averse are discouraged from doing so.

We should avoid propping 'opponents' as an exponent of the most unreasonable extremes possible.

Did I say that the sacraments are a suicide pact? No. Did I say that they are irreplaceable and that reasonable accommodations should be made where possible? Yes. Those are different sentiments altogether and I suspect you know that.

I also suspect you know that desiring my daughter to reasonably use the slide at the playground is not the same thing as being willfully complicit in the deaths of 100k human beings.

And sure, God is not bound by the sacraments. But we are, as that is the normative path to specific graces as instituted by Christ our Lord. Your statement is not license to dispense with the Eucharist altogether. As your helpful article illustrates, we should prioritize access to them rather than simply shutting them down, even when there is a plague.
Normative, yes, but these are not normal times.
Frequent reception of the Eucharist is a recent development in the history of the Church. It is reasonable to suggest limiting public Masses during a pandemic for which there is neither vaccine nor curative treatment.

I was replying to a specific comment in which guido said he did not understand what it was about a church 'service' that could not be accomplished 'virtually'. So I offered the analogy of marriage, which is given to us by Christ himself. I'm not really understanding your questions though, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom