COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDC st least floating the idea out there that shutdown measures may need to be implemented again if things get too bad.

Seeing more and more people and news outlets slowly start talking Covid again.

So a tale of two cities:

Tonight we ordered carry-out from this Mexican place we like. This was their first weekend doing dine-in on the inside of the restaurant (two weeks ago they opened for outdoor dining).

We're not interested in indoor dining, but called in a to-go order. When I arrived, first I noticed that the entire staff had masks - okay cool. I then noticed that the restaurant was nearly a full capacity as far as tables went . . . though every other table was taped off as unavailable. I then observed that not a single customer - not one! - was wearing a face covering of any kind. I looked outside and saw the same - not a single customer in a mask of any kind.

Then, however, as I waited for our food to be brought out, two more customers came in wearing masks (as I was). They each were there to pick up carry-out orders.

This was the most striking demonstration to me so far of two separate communities living together. One, taking precautions, not ready to socialize, especially indoors, and wearing masks. That's why the three customers in the whole place with masks on were only there to pick up a take-out order. The other community, however, were basically acting entirely as if there was no outbreak whatsoever.

South Carolina blew up to another record number of new cases today . . . that's five new record highs in the last seven days. And the last two days have been even steeper by percentage gains.

So a tale of two cities:

Tonight we ordered carry-out from this Mexican place we like. This was their first weekend doing dine-in on the inside of the restaurant (two weeks ago they opened for outdoor dining).

We're not interested in indoor dining, but called in a to-go order. When I arrived, first I noticed that the entire staff had masks - okay cool. I then noticed that the restaurant was nearly a full capacity as far as tables went . . . though every other table was taped off as unavailable. I then observed that not a single customer - not one! - was wearing a face covering of any kind. I looked outside and saw the same - not a single customer in a mask of any kind.

Then, however, as I waited for our food to be brought out, two more customers came in wearing masks (as I was). They each were there to pick up carry-out orders.

This was the most striking demonstration to me so far of two separate communities living together. One, taking precautions, not ready to socialize, especially indoors, and wearing masks. That's why the three customers in the whole place with masks on were only there to pick up a take-out order. The other community, however, were basically acting entirely as if there was no outbreak whatsoever.

South Carolina blew up to another record number of new cases today . . . that's five new record highs in the last seven days. And the last two days have been even steeper by percentage gains.
They probably haven't figured out how to eat with a mask over their mouths. I'm avoiding all of it.

They probably haven't figured out how to eat with a mask over their mouths. I'm avoiding all of it.

That would be a fair assessment except they weren't all at that phase of the meal - they just weren't interested at all in wearing a mask. I saw multiple tables sat while I waited . . . not a single mask.

Well if you’re going out to eat, ultimately you can’t wear a mask. Otherwise, I agree on all counts. I’m not eating indoors at a restaurant indoors anytime soon.

So a tale of two cities:

Unfortunately mask wearing hasn't been a thing in many states of late.

So a tale of two cities:

There is such a dichotomy.....

While out walking the pup, I see entire families, including the kids, all wearing a mask.

I see plenty of peeps alone in their car or their truck, with their mask covering their nose & mouth????!!!!

Our favorite Mexican restaurant has take out only, and you have to pick up your food on a table outside. Everyone (staff & customers) has to have a mask on. Hand sanitizer is on the table as you pick up your food, outside.

IMHO, from what I have observed locally, the peeps with a brain, are still terrified of the virus, & they want to live & not bring any virus to their loved ones.

I also see lots of families out on their bikes, & the kids ALWAYS have masks on. I see runners, all by themselves, with NO ONE around, running with their mask intact.

Some Americans want to survive & live & others are willing to take any & all risks.

So a tale of two cities:

It's all your level of risk tolerance I guess. If you have decided to eat indoors at a restaurant, you are assuming the risk that goes with that choice. To "mask up" and take all the proper precautions for the socializing part prior to the meal does you no good when you take your mask off to eat your meal. If you are still very concerned about the virus, you will get take out and wear a mask rather than sit indoors and take a chance....

Wearing a mask for only a portion of the meal will do you very little good. That's all I'm saying.

It's all your level of risk tolerance I guess. If you have decided to eat indoors at a restaurant, you are assuming the risk that goes with that choice. To "mask up" and take all the proper precautions for the socializing part prior to the meal does you no good when you take your mask off to eat your meal. If you are still very concerned about the virus, you will get take out and wear a mask rather than sit indoors and take a chance....

Wearing a mask for only a portion of the meal will do you very little good. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah I totally agree it’s a risk tolerance thing - at least to the individuals involved. The real story is that you’re not only making a risk decision for yourself in not wearing a mask, you’re also making it for those around you (as evidence shows that rates of transmission are most effectively reduced when the viral shedder is wearing a mask). But people don’t think that way - probably because they’re pretty confident they don’t have the virus.

Yeah I totally agree it’s a risk tolerance thing - at least to the individuals involved. The real story is that you’re not only making a risk decision for yourself in not wearing a mask, you’re also making it for those around you (as evidence shows that rates of transmission are most effectively reduced when the viral shedder is wearing a mask). But people don’t think that way - probably because they’re pretty confident they don’t have the virus.

Its selfishness with a sprinkling of “sticking it to the man” as well.

I had my moment when I took my mask off in a Home Depot after seeing no employees and very little customer masked, and a guy walking towards me against the arrows. But I wear the mask when going into places and have mostly gotten over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom