COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.8M cases and 131,118 deaths in US) (36 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They'll live and end up killing others. That's the problem.
Right. If this was something like a person wanting to ride out a Cat 5 hurricane, or chasing a tornado, or experiencing a tsunami, then go for it. As long as they are the only person affected, then personal freedoms and all that. But it's not the same and sadly they likely know that and don't care.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The thing about all these mask wearing campaigns is they aren't going to help. The lines have been drawn: you are either a reasonable person who understands why you should be doing it, or an ignorant and selfish moron that thinks your perceived "freedoms" are more important than public health and safety. And there are too many of the latter to stop the spread. Short of new stay at home orders or strictly enforced mask mandates we are 100% screwed.
There is a legitimate case about folks who just dont watch the news, don't use Facebook, who need constant messaging to get through to.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It really started before that. This stuff is rooted in things like the antivax movement, or Obama era conspiracy theories or any number of other things related to aggressive skepticism of science or authority. He's a symptom of the disease and not the disease itself, but the symptom is unquestionably making things worse.
This is another dimension, or symptom, to the sickness - I've linked it before. It's the work that Arlie Hochschild that led to Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right which I've also referenced before.

The work was done in my hometown backyard - 5 years she spent in Southwest Louisiana, mostly in/around Lake Charles. Some time spent in SELA, too.

In addition to the skepticism of science and authority, it speaks to the skepticism that many had in Obama, specifically, and the perception of preferential treatment of non-whites and the resulting oppression that was being legislated against whites.

The podcast is about 20 minutes but speaks to a compelling sense of what she calls the "Deep Story"

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
They'll live and end up killing others. That's the problem.
I know. And it really pisses me off. It's what I hate the most about this virus. The people wearing PPE and doing what they're supposed to are the ones who get sick while the Karens and other "muh freedoms!!!" morons get spared.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
This is another dimension, or symptom, to the sickness - I've linked it before. It's the work that Arlie Hochschild that led to Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right which I've also referenced before.

The work was done in my hometown backyard - 5 years she spent in Southwest Louisiana, mostly in/around Lake Charles. Some time spent in SELA, too.

In addition to the skepticism of science and authority, it speaks to the skepticism that many had in Obama, specifically, and the perception of preferential treatment of non-whites and the resulting oppression that was being legislated against whites.

The podcast is about 20 minutes but speaks to a compelling sense of what she calls the "Deep Story"

As exiled Palestinian commentator Iyad al-Baghdadi (hell of a Twitter follow, if you're interested) has often said, "When one's privilege is not recognized, equality feels like oppression."

Or, as I have told my sons (20 & 18), "If you can't make it in America in 2020 with the running head start that white males get, I can't help you."

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As exiled Palestinian commentator Iyad al-Baghdadi (hell of a Twitter follow, if you're interested) has often said, "When one's privilege is not recognized, equality feels like oppression."

Or, as I have told my sons (20 & 18), "If you can't make it in America in 2020 with the running head start that white males get, I can't help you."
Your point is well-taken.

But that topic is a whole different thread.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The thing about all these mask wearing campaigns is they aren't going to help. The lines have been drawn: you are either a reasonable person who understands why you should be doing it, or an ignorant and selfish moron that thinks your perceived "freedoms" are more important than public health and safety. And there are too many of the latter to stop the spread. Short of new stay at home orders or strictly enforced mask mandates we are 100% screwed.
The large majority are misinformed and not wearing masks belligerently
But I do think there is a smaller UNinformed segment- they’re just kind of blithely walking through life only getting snippets of info and are just not plugged into the day to day
And it’s for them that PSAs could help

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
A large percentage of folks have just resigned themselves that "everyone is gonna git it."
That's how the flu works. The numbers of deaths has been inflated by the gov't and by the boogeyman.
Plus, the majority of the dead are old, frail nursing home people who were gonna die in a year of 2 anyway.
Why fight it? The economy is way more important.

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
Looks like Navarre and Gulf Breeze will see an uptick in cases in the next few weeks.
Gulf Breeze graduation in the Pensacola Civic Center with little to no masking has already seen a few HS kids test positive.
Navarre had some HS kid throw a kegger (at least 3 have tested positive as a result) and Juana's Bar on Navarre Beach had 4 employees test positive.
I have been told that multiple kids who were in direct contact for extended periods with other kids who tested positive have not self-quarantined.
They are still at work and their employers know that they were in direct contact with other kids who have tested positive. The parents aren't concerned either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 20)

Headlines

Top Bottom