COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.8M cases and 131,118 deaths in US) (23 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I have been told that multiple kids who were in direct contact for extended periods with other kids who tested positive have not self-quarantined.
They are still at work and their employers know that they were in direct contact with other kids who have tested positive. The parents aren't concerned either.
:covri:

We were talking about whether to head over to the (FL) coast for a couple days, but no way am I going right now.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have been told that multiple kids who were in direct contact for extended periods with other kids who tested positive have not self-quarantined.
They are still at work and their employers know that they were in direct contact with other kids who have tested positive. The parents aren't concerned either.
Sometimes I wonder if, as a species, humans should’ve been extinct by now and we‘re living on borrowed time which is about to expire.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know of a small two-doctor Dental office that was not requiring masks except when actually in the patient room with the patient. So meetings in small rooms with 10+ people; no mask. Before and after patients, no mask. They had one assistant test positive, didn't tell the rest of the employees, and threatened to fire the Covid+ person if they told anyone. 2nd employee tested positive, same exact thing). A 3rd employee started feeling sick and was told not to get tested (and to come to work).

Don't know what happened after that because the person I know quit the practice at that point (everyone in the office knew what was up). We looked for ways to report them or get them in trouble somehow. Apparently there is no recourse whatsoever for this via the city, county, or dental regulatory authority, except to doxx them which she didn't want to do. Absolutely shocking. Although this particular city is mostly known for systemic enablement and covering up of rape, system enablement and covering up of a mass murder by the police, and systemic enablement and covering up of a mass murder by the FBI. So transparency and ethics might not be their thing.

Last edited:

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Considering how that practice gives a double middle finger to morality, I bet they’re also committing insurance fraud by recommending unneeded procedures.

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if, as a species, humans should’ve been extinct by now and we‘re living on borrowed time which is about to expire.
For each of the last 10 years, my brother-in-law and I have sat on a Florida beach and discussed this same thing (well, Mother Nature cleaning house not total extinction). It will be a more pointed conversation this year.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if the increased vitamin D due to sun exposure in the summer is reducing the severity of the disease. Some studies have proven that vitamin D has a pretty big impact with SARS in correlation with the severity of the case. The fall/winter months will likely give us this answer. It could just be the younger age, still a lag between tests/deaths and better treatment options but even with steroids and remdesevir the death rate should only change a little. My concern with this wave will get going in about another 10 days. That's when the transmission between the young and older populations are likely to start happening.
I’ve seen average time to death around 18 days. That’s a broad average but it shows that the disease takes a while. The current spike began in earnest in mid-June. We’re really only two weeks in, so it’s too early to be making calls about severity as some are.

But maybe there are factors in it being less severe. Perhaps seasonality. Perhaps ‘mutation to the benign’ as they say. Too early to call.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha. There's no question too large a segment of the population are naive and ignorant and will believe anything.
If it reinforces their preexisting biases.

Conversely, they won't believe anything that contradicts them. Even when it hits them upside the head.

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know of a small two-doctor Dental office that was not requiring masks except when actually in the patient room with the patient. So meetings in small rooms with 10+ people; no mask. Before and after patients, no mask. They had one assistant test positive, didn't tell the rest of the employees, and threatened to fire the Covid+ person if they told anyone. 2nd employee tested positive, same exact thing). A 3rd employee started feeling sick and was told not to get tested (and to come to work).

Don't know what happened after that because the person I know quit the practice at that point (everyone in the office knew what was up). We looked for ways to report them or get them in trouble somehow. Apparently there is no recourse whatsoever for this via the city, county, or dental regulatory authority, except to doxx them which she didn't want to do. Absolutely shocking. Although this particular city is mostly known for systemic enablement and covering up of rape, system enablement and covering up of a mass murder by the police, and systemic enablement and covering up of a mass murder by the FBI. So transparency and ethics might not be their thing.
This really pisses me off

Last edited:

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It should have never been "political" but maybe the tide is finally turning?

If this is based on polling or whatever, that is fine. Just wear the damn masks and try to do something, anything, to slow the spread. I want my kids to go to school. I want to buy $3 beers at Tulane football games. Wear a mask.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 8)

Headlines

Top Bottom