COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
August seems like it's an eternity away so November feels like it may never come. I'm terrified to see what the cases look like nationwide when it gets cold outside and cold and flu season start raging - as will COVID, even though it hasn't even stopped. We did that entire shutdown for nothing. It's going to take another one to contain this thing and that's going to require leadership from the top, something we've really been lacking throughout this whole thing. Louisiana postponing their phase three opening isn't enough, IMO. We should at least be rolling back to phase one. Edwards catch phrase of "People are saying they're done with the virus. Well, the virus isn't done with us," isn't enough to get people to take this seriously. You see it everywhere you go. Nobody (a majority of people really) is taking this thing seriously as the cases continue to skyrocket all around us.
So I'm thinking that WHEN we get shut down again in the fall / winter, shouldn't the number of cold and flu cases be lower than they normally would be in any other year? If we're not around each other as much so that we don't spread the Rona, then that should also make the other nasties harder to spread.

So I'm thinking that WHEN we get shut down again in the fall / winter, shouldn't the number of cold and flu cases be lower than they normally would be in any other year? If we're not around each other as much so that we don't spread the Rona, then that should also make the other nasties harder to spread.
That would surely be a welcomed side effect. All virus transmissions should go down even if they don't do a lockdown and people just wear a mask but we've seen how that's worked out. I'd hope that if there isn't a lockdown they at the very least make wearing a mask mandatory and punishable by law. Not only would it help slow the infection rate but it'd be a big money maker.

Wait up....am I reading this right? You can get Gilead's version of remdesivir for $2,300 or you can get Cipla's or Hetero Lab's version for about $66? Same basic drug, yes?

August seems like it's an eternity away so November feels like it may never come. I'm terrified to see what the cases look like nationwide when it gets cold outside and cold and flu season start raging - as will COVID, even though it hasn't even stopped. We did that entire shutdown for nothing. It's going to take another one to contain this thing and that's going to require leadership from the top, something we've really been lacking throughout this whole thing. Louisiana postponing their phase three opening isn't enough, IMO. We should at least be rolling back to phase one. Edwards catch phrase of "People are saying they're done with the virus. Well, the virus isn't done with us," isn't enough to get people to take this seriously. You see it everywhere you go. Nobody (a majority of people really) is taking this thing seriously as the cases continue to skyrocket all around us.

Edwards has been pretty ineffectual since the resurgence started. Refusing to mandate masks while doing little more than tepidly encouraging people to wear them, Relying on catch phrases and folksy sayings instead of being firm and direct in his messaging ("people need to do a gut check" on masks is about as impotent as it gets). Pretending schools/universities will reopen in five weeks as if everything is OK. Acting like not going to Phase 3 is sufficient when every restaurant, bar, business, etc. has been utterly ignoring phasing guidelines for weeks. Weirdness with the LDH and their number totals. His second act with this has been incredibly disappointing thus far.

I think you're giving too much credit to people. The only thing I haven't seen so far is someone actively licking door handles but I imagine it's just a matter of time before I do.

Edwards has been pretty ineffectual since the resurgence started. Refusing to mandate masks while doing little more than tepidly encouraging people to wear them, Relying on catch phrases and folksy sayings instead of being firm and direct in his messaging ("people need to do a gut check" on masks is about as impotent as it gets). Pretending schools/universities will reopen in five weeks as if everything is OK. Acting like not going to Phase 3 is sufficient when every restaurant, bar, business, etc. has been utterly ignoring phasing guidelines for weeks. Weirdness with the LDH and their number totals. His second act with this has been incredibly disappointing thus far.
I could not agree more. When he shut things down I thought he was doing a good job with his messaging and the whole shabang, but ever since the grand reopening of the state (which I think he did way too soon) he's really been ineffective in actual leadership by not mandating anything that actually prevents the spread of the virus.

In totally unrelated news: https://wwl.radio.com/articles/repo...ger Stadium should remain closed for the fall

Let me say this about wearing a mask. It's strange. Very surreal - I'm still not used to it. And I'm not going out much - it's usually to the store or for something "essential" so I guess I'm slower getting used to it, but it's so odd going to the grocery on a beautiful day and everyone (pretty much 95% at Rouse's these days) is in a mask. You can't see or feel the virus so there is a real temptation to just take it off niggling at the back of your mind.

I'm certainly not arguing against mask wearing and am all - in, but it really is kind of an unnatural thing. I guess I can understand why some succumb to not wearing them (although it doesn't make me any less mad).
It was a lot easier to get over the feeling when I had to start wearing one at work all day. Only exception is when I'm sitting at my desk. Even then, I tend to wear it unless I'm drinking water or coffee.

I could not agree more. When he shut things down I thought he was doing a good job with his messaging and the whole shabang, but ever since the grand reopening of the state (which I think he did way too soon) he's really been ineffective in actual leadership by not mandating anything that actually prevents the spread of the virus.

In totally unrelated news: https://wwl.radio.com/articles/report-lsu-tiger-stadium-should-remain-closed-for-the-fall?utm_source=WWL-AM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WWL Breaking News&utm_content=Report: Tiger Stadium should remain closed for the fall
I think a lot of Governors and local politicians are trying to walk the tightrope. They want everyone in masks when it's an appropriate setting. But some know, if they force it, they might actually get less compliance, or force a 'police state' and that will cause a back lash.

I think the mask issue would get much better if more people would just shut up and wear them. It's easier to drag the few into it if the many are already doing it. I know, for me, it's an uncomfortable feeling walking into a place and I'm the only one wearing it. Wouldn't be nearly as uncomfortable for me if everyone had a mask on. My son said it makes him feel stupid....I told him to remember in those cases not only is he not stupid but he's actually the smartest person in the store.

I've noticed my guard dropping a few times. Not sure why I've done it but I keep forgetting to use sanitizer when I get in my truck. Twice yesterday I caught myself not using it until after I had gotten in the truck and was well down the road. Once was after pumping fuel and the other was after picking up subway. Not sure why I started doing that but I have to do better.

I've noticed my guard dropping a few times. Not sure why I've done it but I keep forgetting to use sanitizer when I get in my truck. Twice yesterday I caught myself not using it until after I had gotten in the truck and was well down the road. Once was after pumping fuel and the other was after picking up subway. Not sure why I started doing that but I have to do better.

Very normal..........like any new habit, it's easy to slip back into what you always used to do.

As far as the mask............I find it easier to wear it because others are simply more at peace when I walk by them in a store, or wherever, with it on.............rather than relying solely on "I'm protecting myself" for motivation. That way I'm not causing anyone else additional anxiety in an already-anxious time.

And if it is protecting me, then even better.

I've done that as well. It's just habit since doing that was never part of life except for the past few months. For some of us it's trying to adjust to decades of not having to do it. :)

Same. Mine is mostly hand sanitizer and being careful what comes into my car/house (IE spraying things down). I'm not super concerned about it because there's a lot of evidence that people don't really catch it via contact spread, but it still sort of reaffirms the need to stay vigilant.

Just squirt a little gas on your hands if you forget.

Looks like Navarre and Gulf Breeze will see an uptick in cases in the next few weeks.
Gulf Breeze graduation in the Pensacola Civic Center with little to no masking has already seen a few HS kids test positive.
Navarre had some HS kid throw a kegger (at least 3 have tested positive as a result) and Juana's Bar on Navarre Beach had 4 employees test positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom