COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably about as effective as running through a rainstorm with a newspaper over your head. But yes, better than absolutely nothing.

Depends on the concentration of contamination in the area. A single infected person with a fairly light viral load might not put out that kind of 'rainstorm', particularly if it's been a few minutes since the person expelled the droplets.

Getting a systemic infection via the eye was in legitimate question, last time I looked. The respiratory tract remains the most suspect infection pathway for airborne virus.

Depends on the concentration of contamination in the area. A single infected person with a fairly light viral load might not put out that kind of 'rainstorm', particularly if it's been a few minutes since the person expelled the droplets.

Getting a systemic infection via the eye was in legitimate question, last time I looked. The respiratory tract remains the most suspect infection pathway for airborne virus.
The eyes have ACE-2 cells that can be infected and start the replication of the virus as it passes through the sinuses. It's no longer in question, it's a legitimate pathway.

Maybe in some modern restaurants. But I worked in several back in the 90s and they were hot nasty places with little ventilation.

Well, any that I worked in back in the day would be the same, but new ones are engineered to specifically remove hot, greasy and foul air.

Probably about as effective as running through a rainstorm with a newspaper over your head. But yes, better than absolutely nothing.

Are you being the Devil's advocate or are you really arguing that reducing the amount of contagion by 2 or 90% is somehow not worth it?

From a statistical standpoint, if you have a 3% chance of catching it from breathing a certain bit of air for 5 minutes and a mask reduced that by half it would be worth it. If you had a 30% chance and it reduced it by half, it would also be worth it.

Even if the mask is only helpful to a rate of 10% you're talking about orders fewer deaths.

A piece of plywood isn't much of a hurricane shutter when you have a cat 5, but in a cat 3 it can be the difference between having your house laying in pieces all over the neighborhood and a roof leak.

Last edited:
The eyes have ACE-2 cells that can be infected and start the replication of the virus as it passes through the sinuses. It's no longer in question, it's a legitimate pathway.
Yep...

More occurrences of individuals redeveloping infection. This time US sailors.

More occurrences of individuals redeveloping infection. This time US sailors.

Terrible terrible headline, that's just awful journalism.

My bolding for emphasis:
Last paragraph of the article: The sailors have been tested using the nasal swab. And in some cases the infection can be at such a low level that it is not detected by the test. It’s not clear whether cases like these are actual relapses, or if people tested negative without really being completely clear of the virus.

I believe you - it’s sensible. You probably know way more about than than I do, but I think citation is valuable. Are there any papers on systemic SARS2 infection via the eyes?

I believe you - it’s sensible. You probably know way more about than than I do, but I think citation is valuable. Are there any papers on systemic SARS2 infection via the eyes?
I think that it's a bit soon to get peer reviewed anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom