COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (24 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it's a bit soon to get peer reviewed anything yet.

It doesn’t have to be peer reviewed - it can be pre-print, or even based on SARS and not SARS2. The AAO info is what it is but it isn’t supported, it’s just a statement. Clearly an eye infection (e.g. conjunctivitis) can result but I have seen some doubt as to whether the eye is a pathway to systemic disease. Yes there are ACE2 receptors there and maybe the connection to the sinus is the pathway. But I’m just saying I’d like to see more about that. After I get these kids to bed and if I’m not too drunk I’ll see what I can find.

Many moons ago I posted a medical piece on this thread that was skeptical.

Last edited:
Here's a May 9, 2020 paper (pre-print). Yes, it finds SARS2 infection of the eyes via ACE2 receptors. Yes, that means the virus can be transmitted from an infected eye via eye secretions/conjunctival fluid. Whether its a pathway to systemic disease is "suggested."

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.09.086165v1

Terrible terrible headline, that's just awful journalism.

My bolding for emphasis:
Last paragraph of the article: The sailors have been tested using the nasal swab. And in some cases the infection can be at such a low level that it is not detected by the test. It’s not clear whether cases like these are actual relapses, or if people tested negative without really being completely clear of the virus.

What is clear though was 5 of the soldiers who tested positive properly quarantined themselves for as least 2 weeks and tested negative twice before being allowed back on the ship before later getting sick again. Who knows whether it was a relapse or a reinfection? The point here is they came up sick again after being quarantined. They need to figure out the reason. Maybe that means the quarantine period isn't long enough. Or it means people who have gotten better may have not fully gotten rid of the virus. The article isn't perfect, but I thought there was enough in there to be concerned with what's happening on our naval vessels.

What is clear though was 5 of the soldiers who tested positive properly quarantined themselves for as least 2 weeks and tested negative twice before being allowed back on the ship before later getting sick again. Who knows whether it was a relapse or a reinfection? The point here is they came up sick again after being quarantined. They need to figure out the reason. Maybe that means the quarantine period isn't long enough. Or it means people who have gotten better may have not fully gotten rid of the virus. The article isn't perfect, but I thought there was enough in there to be concerned with what's happening on our naval vessels.
Chinese require 35 day quarantine for this reason.

We probably really won't know for some time.

Chinese require 35 day quarantine for this reason.

We probably really won't know for some time.

Yeah, true. It's interesting seeing people being released from hospitals 40 and 50+ days after being admitted. I've wondered often whether that 14 day number was actually any good.

Going back to the issue of restaurants taking your information for purposes of contact tracing, it's a losing battle insofar as privacy protection is concerned. I ordered online from a good local Chinese restaurant on Thursday. Now, I had called in orders there before, had dined in several times, and had done pickup there once or twice.

Once I entered my name and email, they obviously had my information because the fields began to get filled in automatically.
So it seems as though at least some restaurants already have pertinent information usable for contact tracing. If that's bothersome to you--and I can understand why it might be--it seems as though it's too late to be concerned.

Once I entered my name and email, they obviously had my information because the fields began to get filled in automatically.

If I'm interpreting the way you're describing it properly, it's your web browser doing that, not the site itself. So that would be Google or Microsoft or Apple that has your info.

The 14 day quarantine is just a made up number. I'm sure that it was a balance between allowing the disease to run it's course and minimizing the cost of a person being under care for too long.

About two weeks ago I posted about a coworker who had been suffering with COVID-19 for weeks. He's still going through it a month in.

If I'm interpreting the way you're describing it properly, it's your web browser doing that, not the site itself. So that would be Google or Microsoft or Apple that has your info.

True. But any place that you have ever ordered delivery from has you name, phone number, address, and probably credit/debit card number in their system. I know when I call the places to make a delivery order once they have my name or phone number, they know my address. I would think it's the same if you order over the computer. Especially if you are using Uber Eats, Grub Hub, etc.

Yeah but it sure does make it easier filling out forms :hihi:

Maryland eased it's stay-at-home rules today, so I'm looking forward to trying to get a haircut tomorrow.

Personal update: after almost 4 weeks of COVID, my wife is feeling better. It was touch and go for a while, to the point that her PCP said 2 weeks into it that if Abby didn't show marked improvement, she was going to recommend hospitalization. We managed to stave that off and, even though still short of breath, Abby has been able to return to some light activity around the house. She went outside for the first time in 23 days on Wednesday. The things we take for granted....

Maryland eased it's stay-at-home rules today, so I'm looking forward to trying to get a haircut tomorrow.

Personal update: after almost 4 weeks of COVID, my wife is feeling better. It was touch and go for a while, to the point that her PCP said 2 weeks into it that if Abby didn't show marked improvement, she was going to recommend hospitalization. We managed to stave that off and, even though still short of breath, Abby has been able to return to some light activity around the house. She went outside for the first time in 23 days on Wednesday. The things we take for granted....

Awesome to hear! Thanks for keeping us updated. :9:

Some insight. We've been through this before, and more recently these questions have been asked.

So apparently a Federal Judge in Louisiana found that Louisiana's Stay at Home Order is not Unconstitutional:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

In ruling, Judge Jackson quoted an old Supreme Court case, Jacobson v. Commonwealth of Mass that dealt with Small Pox vaccinations:

"Indeed, the Supreme Court has long recognized that 'liberty secured by the Constitution' is not absolute in the face of an epidemic, but rather that a community 'has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members,'"

I suspect this will get appealed to the U.S. 5th Circuit and has a shot to get granted Cert from SCOTUS since there could be many similar ruling in different states with different conclusions.

It will be interesting from a legal point of view because it contains issue of the 1st Amendment Free Exercise Clause which has mostly been found to be nearly inviolate. It usually takes a "Compelling State Interest" that is very narrowly tailored to survive the strict scrutiny the free exercise clause gets. Although it seems to unfortunately depend on what religion is seeking free exercise. The rights of Christians are almost always upheld, but Native Americans have been prevented from using Peyote in religious ceremonies and I think practitioners of Santaria have been prevented from sacrificing chickens. But I may be wrong about the second one.

Great news. We’re you ever tested? Just wondering if you might have had an asymptomatic case or just somehow managed not to catch it from your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom