COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (25 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news. We’re you ever tested? Just wondering if you might have had an asymptomatic case or just somehow managed not to catch it from your wife.

That's a good point. I'm wondering if both can take an antibody test to see if she developed the antibodies as well.

Going back to the issue of restaurants taking your information for purposes of contact tracing, it's a losing battle insofar as privacy protection is concerned. I ordered online from a good local Chinese restaurant on Thursday. Now, I had called in orders there before, had dined in several times, and had done pickup there once or twice.

Once I entered my name and email, they obviously had my information because the fields began to get filled in automatically.
So it seems as though at least some restaurants already have pertinent information usable for contact tracing. If that's bothersome to you--and I can understand why it might be--it seems as though it's too late to be concerned.
If you have a computer and a cellphone, unless you are some OCD level defender of self-privacy(with the technical competence to boot), you have given far more away in the last 5 years than you could ever imagine in the next few months.

Consumer data collection is a billion dollar industry and almost anything digital you touch has been wanting to get in on the game.

Which isn;t to dismiss valid concerns of citizenry privacy, but in this case, it continues to ring hollow to me. If there was ever a scenario where this could be justified, its now. When it’s over I just hope people can be as alert and upset toward this then, when it really should matter, as they flirt with being now.

Well...I may not do my study after all.

Here's the problem...the benchmarks are very clear with the states that are following the White House and CDC phased reopening plan, but those that are not using it aren't actually saying how they plan to reopen.

Let's take California for example. They use a four phased reopening plan, but it's INCREDIBLY vague. Here are the phases. Phase 1. Strictest restrictions in place (March 19-May 7). Phase 2. Lower-risk businesses can reopen with social distancing (March 8-current). Phase 3. Higher-risk business and venues may reopen with social distancing (no date set). Phase 4. Concerts, conventions and sports with a live crowd can reopen (no date set). https://www.latimes.com/projects/ca...-tracking-outbreak/reopening-across-counties/.

According to the California governor, “Politics will not drive our decision making, protest won’t drive our decision making, political pressure will not drive our decision making. The science, the data, public health will drive our decision making." But unfortunately, the rationale for the science and the actual metrics used to drive decision making is a mystery.

There is no transparency and it appears that the California governor is relying on his local governments to make decisions. It's not a HORRIBLE idea because, believe it or not, California does have a fair amount of diversity. You have a few area of the state that are incredibly population dense and very liberal, but then you have the rest of the state that is much more rural and some counties are even conservative. There is no transparency of how the counties/cities of California are actually making decisions. So, while I'd like to believe that their decisions are truly driven by science and metrics, we'll have to take their word for it.
Not entirely true. The benchmark is no deaths over the course of a set amount of time, declining number of cases, and less than a certain number of infections per 100,000 people. The northern and Sierra parts of the state in some cases have completely cleaned out all the new infections for a couple of weeks. Without any new cases, the governor is letting them open back up way quicker. In say Tulare county which has been averaging 30-60 new cases a day and 2-3 deaths, in a county with a population of just over 300,000, they are not going to be opening any time soon SF and LA have also extended their shelter in place, modified it a bit, but as we are seeing density isn’t a good thing with Covid, so they are taking more careful steps.
California is a very varied state. From LA,SD, SF to very sparsely populated counties with little movement in them. So yeah a one size doesn’t fit all in the state.

If I'm interpreting the way you're describing it properly, it's your web browser doing that, not the site itself. So that would be Google or Microsoft or Apple that has your info.
Can't Mozilla get a little love too? Seriously though, I don't think Mozilla harvests people's personal data, but Firefox has an autofill feature that does it too.

Great news. We’re you ever tested? Just wondering if you might have had an asymptomatic case or just somehow managed not to catch it from your wife.
Thank you! Yes I was tested and was negative. I was also given the antibody test and that was also negative. However, the antibody test at that time had a 50% fail rate :hm:

Last edited:
Not entirely true. The benchmark is no deaths over the course of a set amount of time, declining number of cases, and less than a certain number of infections per 100,000 people. The northern and Sierra parts of the state in some cases have completely cleaned out all the new infections for a couple of weeks. Without any new cases, the governor is letting them open back up way quicker. In say Tulare county which has been averaging 30-60 new cases a day and 2-3 deaths, in a county with a population of just over 300,000, they are not going to be opening any time soon SF and LA have also extended their shelter in place, modified it a bit, but as we are seeing density isn’t a good thing with Covid, so they are taking more careful steps.
California is a very varied state. From LA,SD, SF to very sparsely populated counties with little movement in them. So yeah a one size doesn’t fit all in the state.

Please forward me the documentation because it would really help me. I’m sure they are basing their decisions on something it’s just not very transparent publically.

Yeah but it sure does make it easier filling out forms :hihi:

Maryland eased it's stay-at-home rules today, so I'm looking forward to trying to get a haircut tomorrow.

Personal update: after almost 4 weeks of COVID, my wife is feeling better. It was touch and go for a while, to the point that her PCP said 2 weeks into it that if Abby didn't show marked improvement, she was going to recommend hospitalization. We managed to stave that off and, even though still short of breath, Abby has been able to return to some light activity around the house. She went outside for the first time in 23 days on Wednesday. The things we take for granted....

Get her setup outside in a lounger with the warm sun on her.

Please forward me the documentation because it would really help me. I’m sure they are basing their decisions on something it’s just not very transparent publically.

Operation Warp Speed

We have a President that named the quest for a vaccine after a scene in the movie SpaceBalls?
Originally from the TV Star Trek. New York is a largely rural state. My parents moved to a county that had more cows than people when I was 9. It hasn't changed much since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom