COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the big ones is that the employers need to provide PPE and sanitation to all employees. This isn’t quite such a big deal to some things, but it’s a major roadblock to schools reopening. For student safety and staff safety they are requiring not only social distancing to stay in effect, but also each student and teacher to have a mask. Now, in California with its “free public education” clause that means the districts have to provide not only the sanitation aspect, but also masks for every student and teacher. Say there are 5000 kids/employees in a district. Now add on additional costs to clean and handwash/sanitize, but also masks per student per day. If you can even get them now, which is difficult, at say 50 cents a day per student x 180 days is a half a million dollars just for masks and that 50 cents a piece right now is really optimistic. My superintendent was thinking better than a million all things considered. With a potential 20% cut to education she’s wondering how to do anything but distance learning. For everyone to get back going it’s going to take some really good and creative leadership to do it.

Distance learning just isn't the same. Especially for younger students. I sure hope they find a way to get back into school by the fall.

Going back to the issue of restaurants taking your information for purposes of contact tracing, it's a losing battle insofar as privacy protection is concerned. I ordered online from a good local Chinese restaurant on Thursday. Now, I had called in orders there before, had dined in several times, and had done pickup there once or twice.

Once I entered my name and email, they obviously had my information because the fields began to get filled in automatically.
So it seems as though at least some restaurants already have pertinent information usable for contact tracing. If that's bothersome to you--and I can understand why it might be--it seems as though it's too late to be concerned.

I feel like the point is being missed entirely. This is not a practical concern with the restaurant. I have an Android phone, use SR.com, and some social media. I use OpenTable for reservations. My information is out there. It's an issue of ethical and legal precedent in which the government can compel private businesses, in this case a restaurant, to collect, retain, and provide the personal data of its patrons in exchange for the promise of "safety". I can understand asking people to voluntarily participate. But to tell me that this is now a requirement for eating in a restaurant? That's something else entirely. The illusion of safety being provided for by governmental powers is not worth that compromise. And the notion that a city like New Orleans, which is saturated with corruption and dysfunction, being competent and responsible for such a thing is completely laughable. This is a deal with the devil. The only thing that keeps me from being super freaked by it is the ineptitude of New Orleans and the fact that the rest of the state isn't requiring it.

The 14 day quarantine is just a made up number. I'm sure that it was a balance between allowing the disease to run it's course and minimizing the cost of a person being under care for too long.

About two weeks ago I posted about a coworker who had been suffering with COVID-19 for weeks. He's still going through it a month in.

Wasn't that originally for people who had been exposed to wait out and see about onset of symptoms?

I mean, I've had minor respiratory infections that have persisted for 6 weeks or more.

I feel like the point is being missed entirely. This is not a practical concern with the restaurant. I have an Android phone, use SR.com, and some social media. I use OpenTable for reservations. My information is out there. It's an issue of ethical and legal precedent in which the government can compel private businesses, in this case a restaurant, to collect, retain, and provide the personal data of its patrons in exchange for the promise of "safety". I can understand asking people to voluntarily participate. But to tell me that this is now a requirement for eating in a restaurant? That's something else entirely. The illusion of safety being provided for by governmental powers is not worth that compromise. And the notion that a city like New Orleans, which is saturated with corruption and dysfunction, being competent and responsible for such a thing is completely laughable. This is a deal with the devil. The only thing that keeps me from being super freaked by it is the ineptitude of New Orleans and the fact that the rest of the state isn't requiring it.
Was watching Nova the other night. Google and Apple are corroborating on an app which generates random codes and broadcasts them while users are out and about. It's allows for anonymous tracing of people so if a person gets infected it can trace and alert users they may have been exposed.

More on the COVID-19 linked Kawasaki syndrome in children:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-dies-from-coronavirus-linked-kawasaki-diseae

A 9 year old boy died in France. According to the article, "The French public health authority, Santé Publique France, said research suggested the syndrome appeared on average around four weeks after the children were infected by Covid-19, and was possibly a reaction to the virus."

There's also link there to an article in the Lancet - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31103-X/fulltext - about the outbreak in Bergamo, Italy. They found a '30-fold increased incidence of Kawasaki-like disease'.

There's definitely something there. I would emphasis that a 30-fold increase in something rare to start off with is still something pretty rare, but it's certainly concerning and a reminder of how little we know about the medium to long term effects of this virus.

More on the COVID-19 linked Kawasaki syndrome in children:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-dies-from-coronavirus-linked-kawasaki-diseae

A 9 year old boy died in France. According to the article, "The French public health authority, Santé Publique France, said research suggested the syndrome appeared on average around four weeks after the children were infected by Covid-19, and was possibly a reaction to the virus."

There's also link there to an article in the Lancet - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31103-X/fulltext - about the outbreak in Bergamo, Italy. They found a '30-fold increased incidence of Kawasaki-like disease'.

There's definitely something there. I would emphasis that a 30-fold increase in something rare to start off with is still something pretty rare, but it's certainly concerning and a reminder of how little we know about the medium to long term effects of this virus.

Yeah, for all people saying we should to the herd approach, this is a concern I have. Could we be asymptomatic and still suffer medium to long term effects from this? I just feel like there's still a lot we don't know about this thing.

I'm not going to repeat all the stuff I have said in the past about Department of Health regulations on restaurants and the Census, but this article on Nola.com discusses why they are doing it and the reason is because it's what we need to do to open restaurants and also what we need to do to avoid having to shut the entire economy down again in the event of a spike in cases. This isn't just LaToya making up stuff. This is a Tulane epidemiologist explaining the reason for the logs.

Put simply, if you want the economy re-opened, and I know you do, certain sacrifices need to be made and this one is narrowly tailored for a very specific reason and only in effect for a short period of time:

"The local logging system has been controversial, but could play a big role if the city does need to tighten some restrictions after Saturday.

Dr. Susan Hassig, a Tulane University epidemiologist, said that if the city tied a surge in cases to a particular business or sector, officials might examine whether that one entity needs to close or adjust its practices, as opposed to reinstating restrictions for all newly reopened businesses."

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_2f64e622-96f4-11ea-90ab-97ebd314266d.html

If you want to see schools safer, then funding needs to be equalized across the board. Resources need to be spread out. We need to change our funding models for education. We need to change zoning. We need to change bussing.

Put a bunch of white kids in a school and we know that resources rise, expectations for support increase. This is a time when going back to school would be most effective with adequate allocation of resources.

But we've spent our entire national history building a system that does the opposite.

And this especially goes for the more 'tolerant' north and west coast states, which are more segregated than the south.

Time for those legislative liberals to put their money where their mouth is.

All this is doing is putting a microscope on these thing plaguing our system(s) since inception

today went to the nursery - first day it opened. The line circled the entire parking lot (and it's big) and out into the road. Easily hundreds of people. Everyone waited in line patiently. Distance was kept by everyone. 90%+ in masks. It was orderly and nice, actually.

I love gardening and it felt good to get outside and do something 'normal'. It's sunny and cloudless, with a cool wind. 55-60 degrees. Just perfect.

I don't golf but the driving ranges opened today and the one by our house was jam packed... relative to the distance standards in place.

The 'vibe' for slowly starting and doing so cooperatively was a positive one. I think that fed into my attitude as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom