COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (30 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
It should have never been "political" but maybe the tide is finally turning?

If this is based on polling or whatever, that is fine. Just wear the damn masks and try to do something, anything, to slow the spread. I want my kids to go to school. I want to buy $3 beers at Tulane football games. Wear a mask.
4 months in. I'll never forgive them for the way they politicized freaking masks, constantly lied, minimized the virus, created one conspiracy after another, had months of inaction, slowed testing, refused to accept tests from WHO early on and used the treasury to put this country in extreme debt.

But
Better late than never.

bclemms

Reaction score
My neice in Plano, Tx who works at a restaurant tested positive today, high fever, difficulty breathing and had to go to the hospital. She's only 19 but has a rare heart condition that makes it particularly worrisome.

My long time friend's daughter tested positive today, she is 18 and has high fever and exhaustion. She works at a gym.

Friend I used to chase storms with has two sisters. One lives in Argentina and the other in South Carolina. They both tested positive today, one is a nurse in SC and the one in Argentina is roomates with a nurse who passed it on to her.

Friend and guy that helps on my WXChasing page, his brother and grandmother in Alabama got tested on Friday and their results came back positive today. His brother is only showing mild symptoms but his grandmother is not doing well at all, neither of them know how they got the virus.

Been a rough day and I'm know well over 20 people now that have/had covid.

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
:covri:

We were talking about whether to head over to the (FL) coast for a couple days, but no way am I going right now.
Good choice, buzd. I know you remember Ziggy/Terry from the golf outings at Audobon Park. He just returned Saturday from his annual Fathers Day trip to Navarre Beach. He rented his usual condo. As the pandemic unfolded, he and all of his family (wife, three kids, and now 8 grandchildren) all were meticulous in taking all precautions. They all cooked all their meals at home and had very limited exposure to grocery stores.

He tried to continue that over in Florida, but not all the other visitors were doing it. Anytime they left the condo it was with masks on. He inferred that even though the weather was perfect and they had a good time, they just weren't comfortable. It's not much of a vacation if you feel uncomfortable. You might come back more stressed than when you left. Maybe try a virtual vacation if there is such a thing or try preparing some new exotic dishes you've never tried before. Also, the word was being spread amongst the locals that the condo rentals are going to be shut down again.

I'm hearing the Alabama beachgoers are even more relaxed with their precautions.

bclemms

Reaction score
I’ve seen average time to death around 18 days. That’s a broad average but it shows that the disease takes a while. The current spike began in earnest in mid-June. We’re really only two weeks in, so it’s too early to be making calls about severity as some are.

But maybe there are factors in it being less severe. Perhaps seasonality. Perhaps ‘mutation to the benign’ as they say. Too early to call.
Way too early. Just interesting to see how it plays out.

Until we can see demographics and outcomes after the spike is well over we wont really know. Just throwing out some thoughts on the Vitamin D. I do feel pretty confident that the original spread of the virus likely happened in the younger people first before spreading to the older generations. It explains how the outbreak could get so out of hand in some places before it was noticeable. I think NYC went from 1 case to 100k cases in a matter of a few weeks.

bclemms

Reaction score
I'm hearing the Alabama beachgoers are even more relaxed with their precautions.
I'm also hearing now that all the bars are closed in Florida that people in the panhandle and in Pensacola Beach are driving over the bars on the Alabama coast making them really crowded.

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
It should have never been "political" but maybe the tide is finally turning?

If this is based on polling or whatever, that is fine. Just wear the damn masks and try to do something, anything, to slow the spread. I want my kids to go to school. I want to buy $3 beers at Tulane football games. Wear a mask.
So only NOW they say this? After all of this unecessary death, loss of business and widespread illness...only NOW they are saying, don't politicize the masks. SMH.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I read a very disappointing article in The Atlantic this morning. I wish I could say that I was surprised by anything I read, but I am not. Most of those 120,000 dead could have been prevented easily, almost without effort. That's more lives lost than the US lost in WWI and it doesn't look like it's stopping there.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I think a lot of Governors and local politicians are trying to walk the tightrope. They want everyone in masks when it's an appropriate setting. But some know, if they force it, they might actually get less compliance, or force a 'police state' and that will cause a back lash.
Personally, I think that's an impossible tightrope to walk, and they shouldn't be trying to walk it.

Because the very act of not making something a requirement implies that it's not absolutely necessary; the logic being that if it was necessary, then it would be a requirement. It's essentially the "it's not illegal so it's OK" line of thinking. It's not right - there's plenty of things that are legal but can be seen as immoral - but as soon as you have a system of law that appears comprehensive, that line of thinking becomes systematically implied and fairly widespread.

For example, look at seatbelt laws. You wouldn't think they would be necessary - seatbelts clearly protect the wearer as well as others, and they're not especially inconvenient. And yet, research shows (pdf) without any seatbelt laws, use would be much lower and fatalities significantly higher.

There are differences in the circumstances of course, but it seems wildly optimistic to think high rates of mask usage could be accomplished without requiring it over the space of weeks, when we couldn't manage to get people to wear seatbelts over decades without requiring it (and even with requiring it in most states, the usage rate is only something like 90%).

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Personally, I think that's an impossible tightrope to walk, and they shouldn't be trying to walk it.

Because the very act of not making something a requirement implies that it's not absolutely necessary; the logic being that if it was necessary, then it would be a requirement. It's essentially the "it's not illegal so it's OK" line of thinking. It's not right - there's plenty of things that are legal but can be seen as immoral - but as soon as you have a system of law that appears comprehensive, that line of thinking becomes systematically implied and fairly widespread.

For example, look at seatbelt laws. You wouldn't think they would be necessary - seatbelts clearly protect the wearer as well as others, and they're not especially inconvenient. And yet, research shows (pdf) without any seatbelt laws, use would be much lower and fatalities significantly higher.

There are differences in the circumstances of course, but it seems wildly optimistic to think high rates of mask usage could be accomplished without requiring it over the space of weeks, when we couldn't manage to get people to wear seatbelts over decades without requiring it (and even with requiring it in most states, the usage rate is only something like 90%).
For something as unpopular as wearing a mask in public, the government typically responds with massive education and awareness campaigns. Elected leaders, athletes and celebrities will all get together and educate the public using a united voice. It's difficult to that when the federal government is not only failing to comply with basic protocols established under the Bush Administration but completely undermining anyone who does try to encourage people to do the right thing. Public shame and ridicule from ordinary citizens and businesses refusing to provide service to non-compliant people is what we're left with as a result.

CTSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I read a very disappointing article in The Atlantic this morning. I wish I could say that I was surprised by anything I read, but I am not. Most of those 120,000 dead could have been prevented easily, almost without effort. That's more lives lost than the US lost in WWI and it doesn't look like it's stopping there.
That was a great article. Thanks for posting. I highly recommend everyone here read it. I have to be honest. I had a bad feeling when
the first outbreaks from Wuhan were reported. I had no faith our government was going to handle it well. It's 6 months later,and we should
be talking about training camps opening. Instead we now have state governments debating whether to go back into phase 1

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That was a great article. Thanks for posting. I highly recommend everyone here read it. I have to be honest. I had a bad feeling when
the first outbreaks from Wuhan were reported. I had no faith our government was going to handle it well. It's 6 months later,and we should
be talking about training camps opening. Instead we now have state governments debating whether to go back into phase 1
I had no faith people were going to handle this well.

bclemms

Reaction score

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's from April 2.
It is, but I think it's illustrative of the disconnect between the federal guidelines and what the states are actually doing. It was never going to work without the states working hand in hand with the CDC. I'm a traditional states' rights guy, but this is a case where the CDC has to lay down the law and we all stay put for a month until the disease is eliminated. Other countries have done it, and we can, but only if every state commits to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Saints long snapper Zach Wood retests negative, still in COVID-19 protocol SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints to activate linebacker Kaden Elliss from reserve/COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints announce signing of LB Nigel Bradham, activate LB Kaden Eliss from COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints linebacker Kaden Ellis cleared from COVID-19 list, long snapper Zach Wood to be cleared pending second negative test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LB Kaden Elliss to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 7: Sean Payton happy with Jameis Winston and two players added to reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LB Kaden Eliss, long snapper Zach Wood on COVID-19/reserve list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LS Zach Wood, LB Kaden Elliss on reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
COVID-19 deadline has passed with no additional Saints opting out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2 Saints players put on Covid-19 list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 59
N/S Raiders lied to players about Gruden having Covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints attempting their own semi-bubble to cope with COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Training Camp: Opt-Outs and COVID-19 Report (Week 1) SR News Page Articles 0
RedJem Jags place Gardner Minshew on Covid list - UPDATE: Deemed good to go [Mod Edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
faceman Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 113
Andrus Saints haven't reported any positive COVID-19 tests yet SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Fifteen new COVID related cases today in NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Dan in Lafayette Nineteen new COVID related cases yesterday NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton says he won't be surprised to see games affected by COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
jrdbrn Beau Rivage and the COVID Everything Else Board 4
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
jmalon3 NFL COVID Opt out list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
ktmoze Saints Training Camp: Battling COVID-19 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Andrus Saints salary cap space update after the latest signings and opt-outs SR News Page Articles 0
jasonsw N/S Derek Carr tired of being disrespected.(Update,Suspected of using burner account) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
Pelicans shootaround update: Without a doubt, Grizzlies matchup is ‘big game’ Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: New Orleans emphasizes aggressive approach vs. Utah Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: Starter minutes may increase in final scrimmage Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0