COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my question is when (not if) things eventually completely spiral out of control, do they just let it burn? After a certain point they won't be able to pretend things are fine, but will they keep trying?
Trump, Kudlow and Mnuchin have all said repeatedly they will not shut down the economy again and that shutting down was a mistake.

So yeah, they'll pretend all is good until they finally realize how bad it is getting and then they'll blame China, Mexico and Protestors.

Oh, for the days when millions could drop dead of a mystery illness.

In certain parts of our country, they like to refer to these as some concept called "pneumonia," I heard.

xsz6G2c.jpg

That's terrifying.. Will you go to the doctor and get some albuterol or similar? Hope you are able to do that. I had an asthma attack first time I moved here and think it was due to the elevation. Scariest thing, I really thought I'd have to be airlifted at one point because I was still on the trail and felt like I was suffocating. Luckily I sat down and it went away after several minutes.

Probably like you, I just know nothing good can come from getting it, which is why I still am staying away from large groups and going out in public as often. It seems it might have adverse health long term effects even on folks who dont show any symptoms.
I'll mention it to my doctor and get a new nebulizer, meds, and a rescue inhaler. I haven't needed it for a long time. I had found that sugar would trigger an attack. This time I had eaten tamales. I don't know what happened this time.

Abbott still won't make facial coverings mandatory, and has berated the Dallas county judge who suggested stiff penalties for people not wearing them inside of public establishments. All he did was call-out 20 somethings for being careless with facial coverings and not social distancing. Like they care.
That's ridiculous. I work in a steel mill and masks are mandatory. The difficult part is enforcing the policy.

At work today at a state medical school. Just saw 3 students in a small room together and none wearing masks.
A medical school, you say? I guess they haven't covered the spread of disease yet in all that learning they have to do.

This really pisses me off. The selfishness and arrogance of people who refuse to wear masks is something I never could have conceived of seeing in this day and age when there is a worldwide pandemic that has killed over 100K Americans already. Aww, it isn't comfortable? It gives you a rash? You're sticking it to the man cuz freedom? Congratulations on killing grandma and grandpa and putting God only knows how many people through a preventable virus because you're too stupid and selfish to care about anything but your own comfort. I'm getting to the point where I hope everyone who refuses to wear a mask and follow the physical distancing guidelines catches and suffers from this virus.

Here's a fun article with a bunch of COVID related poll results going back to when it first started getting attention in the US.

538 does a really good job, IMO, of tracking polling results and dumbing them all down so that you don't need to remember everything you forgot from taking statistics in college to understand the results.

This really pisses me off. The selfishness and arrogance of people who refuse to wear masks is something I never could have conceived of seeing in this day and age when there is a worldwide pandemic that has killed over 100K Americans already. Aww, it isn't comfortable? It gives you a rash? You're sticking it to the man cuz freedom? Congratulations on killing grandma and grandpa and putting God only knows how many people through a preventable virus because you're too stupid and selfish to care about anything but your own comfort. I'm getting to the point where I hope everyone who refuses to wear a mask and follow the physical distancing guidelines catches and suffers from this virus.

To repeat a quote that seems appropriate:

“If you hate wearing the mask, you’re really not going to like the ventilator.”

This was pretty much the most predictable thing possible during this entire saga.

Citizens have treated this as if it would go away simply because they were tired of dealing with it, and that's because that's the attitude their leadership at the top has displayed.

They're being told that this is nothing to worry about and to live their lives like normal, and now those of us that believe in science over the random thoughts and selfish desires of "him" have to pay the consequences for it.

Buckle-up my friends, because we are just getting started.

It seems very cultural
We have a very quick risk/reward cycle
(Our overwhelming lack of saving for the future is testament)
So we go through a little bit of risk management (2+ months staying at home)
Then we get all these signals that it’s time for our reward - we just don’t do delayed gratification that well

I was talking about this with my wife this morning- I was adjacent to the AIDS crisis in NY 80s/90s
the amount of incredibly shortsighted behavior - somewhere between rolling a 20 sided die and a 6 sided one and hoping it doesn’t land on 1

I’m not sure we have demonstrated a reason anyone should be surprised

It seems very cultural
We have a very quick risk/reward cycle
(Our overwhelming lack of saving for the future is testament)
So we go through a little bit of risk management (2+ months staying at home)
Then we get all these signals that it’s time for our reward - we just don’t do delayed gratification that well

I was talking about this with my wife this morning- I was adjacent to the AIDS crisis in NY 80s/90s
the amount of incredibly shortsighted behavior - somewhere between rolling a 20 sided die and a 6 sided one and hoping it doesn’t land on 1

I’m not sure we have demonstrated a reason anyone should be surprised

Exactly. And both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of it.

A large portion of one side flat-out refuses to adhere to the policies, and a healthy portion of the other side becomes more prone to take the risk and test the waters more and more often until suddenly, they're living like they normally did again.

Toxic combo.

And now, "he" has the convenient built-in excuse of the protests to blame for something that was already set to happen on its own.

This has probably been posted before but I'm interested to see why certain blood types may be at a lower risk of COVID infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom