COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
At what point here does hospital/ICU space become an issue in the states?

I could recall the panic button being pushed within a couple of weeks during the first outbreak phase, yet this time around, it does not seem to be as big of a focus.

I spoke with my daughter earlier. she is a RN at a Gulfport hospital. If you need emergency treatment, paramedics will take you to Hancock county. This ain't no joke my friends

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I posted about this a number of months back, with regards to what a hospital was doing within their ICU. There was a concern for patients with the virus exhaling the aerosol droplets thru the intubation process and the virus spreading thru the ventilation system of the hospital. Now some experts say, it has been a concern since early on from anyone that has it and the virus being spread mostly in poorly ventilated areas, regardless of the 6 foot social distancing and sanitizing of hands...etc., due to the spreading of the virus by aerosol droplets.

While there has been no real testing (purposely infecting healthy people) and the fact this is only from laboratory experiments, it is still a valid concern. A study by professionals conducted on a choir in Portland, where one choir member unknowingly who had the virus was amongst the choir, where everyone wore masks, maintained a 6 foot spacing, many members still contracted the virus, may help support the results from the laboratory experiments. There is still disagreement amongst many expert medical professionals.

When you step back and look at the evolution of the conflicting and early on opinions, on having people wearing masks and their benefit/non-benefit, I think this aerosol spread disagreement, will end up being valid across all expert opinions. With some evidence that supports the spread thru aerosol droplets (exhaled air) from people that have the virus, wearing a mask still helps prevent the spread of the droplets, but is NOT a proven method that will 100% guarantee no one individual may still contract the virus.

The NBA bubble may actually be another test of the aerosol concern. We’ll see.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With some evidence that supports the spread thru aerosol droplets (exhaled air) from people that have the virus, wearing a mask still helps prevent the spread of the droplets, but is NOT a proven method that will 100% guarantee no one individual may still contract the virus.

The NBA bubble may actually be another test of the aerosol concern. We’ll see.
Don't believe this is breaking news. In fact, for those paying attention and not looking for information to help feed a thirst for confirmation bias, this is exactly the way it has always been intended to work.

We wear masks to protect others, not to protect ourselves. And certainly no one has ever said wearing a mask is 100% full proof in any situation; it's simply just one of several mitigation measures aimed merely at helping - the other main ones being social distancing and consistent hand-washing/sanitizing.

You can literally get the virus through your eyes, so no, the mask was never intended to be to 100% protect ourselves.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pool testing is an interesting idea, but I'd like to see more information from virologists and epidemiologists on how well it works when compared to traditional testing. I mean, the guy that wrote the thread is a Professor of Economics at NYU. I'm sure he is a very good economist, but I'm not sure whether he understands the medical and epidemiological issues involved with pool testing. Maybe he does, but I'd like to hear from experts in other fields more closely related to containing viruses.

One concern I have is if contact tracing isn't working, then how are they planning to track down all the people who were in the testing pool to test them again? I guess if they all go to a single school it works, but probably does not work for the general public. My other concern would be that it might not actually save money depending on how wide spread the virus is. And, even if it does save money, is it really the best way to do it? Is it just being pushed because the Feds refuse to spend the money necessary to do individual testing and/or didn't ramp up production of test kits fast enough? Is this just the next best thing we can do because we messed up so bad not making more tests and the Feds won't fund testing?

What I found concerning was the idea that we know that contact tracing isn't working. It was supposed to be one of the big pillars to build on to get the economy back open and now we are learning that it's basically impossible to carry out.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pool testing is an interesting idea, but I'd like to see more information from virologists and epidemiologists on how well it works when compared to traditional testing. I mean, the guy that wrote the thread is a Professor of Economics at NYU. I'm sure he is a very good economist, but I'm not sure whether he understands the medical and epidemiological issues involved with pool testing. Maybe he does, but I'd like to hear from experts in other fields more closely related to containing viruses.

One concern I have is if contact tracing isn't working, then how are they planning to track down all the people who were in the testing pool to test them again? I guess if they all go to a single school it works, but probably does not work for the general public. My other concern would be that it might not actually save money depending on how wide spread the virus is. And, even if it does save money, is it really the best way to do it? Is it just being pushed because the Feds refuse to spend the money necessary to do individual testing and/or didn't ramp up production of test kits fast enough? Is this just the next best thing we can do because we messed up so bad not making more tests and the Feds won't fund testing?

What I found concerning was the idea that we know that contact tracing isn't working. It was supposed to be one of the big pillars to build on to get the economy back open and now we are learning that it's basically impossible to carry out.
I was actually posting her thread, not his. She uses his as a launching point for the school discussion. I haven’t actually read his yet.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I remember us discussing here that because of the sheer size of the country, that contact tracing would become impractical once community spread gets beyond a certain point. Pretty sure we're well beyond being able to get the most out of contact tracing at this point.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was actually posting her thread, not his. She uses his as a launching point for the school discussion. I haven’t actually read his yet.
Sorry. I guess I clicked on the part that brought me to his thread. It is actually an interesting read BTW. Not sure I think pool testing is the way to go without more information, but it's an interesting idea.

Edit: Anyway, I looked at her thread, the idea that maybe kids can't spread COVID or aren't big spreaders is interesting, but I think we need a lot more research on that and at what age this strange transition to being a non-spreader takes place. Also, I noted that she cites a Reuters article saying that Denmark has not seen a rise because they opened schools. But, I don't think that's actually true. They are seeing a rise is their R rate that coincides with them opening schools and I know they are watching that very closely to see if it's a problem. And, the Danes have pretty much so crushed the virus in their country so it's certainly less of an issue to open schools when there is very little virus around than in the situation the U.S. is in. But, I do agree with her that opening schools should be driven by science. But what is really driven by science in this country anymore?

Last edited:

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember us discussing here that because of the sheer size of the country, that contact tracing would become impractical once community spread gets beyond a certain point. Pretty sure we're well beyond being able to get the most out of contact tracing at this point.
Yeah, but this kind of sounded like even on a small scale it's a problem because people either refuse to be interviewed by contact tracers or when they do get interviewed don't give them any information, whether because they don't recall or because they don't want to "rat" anyone out, I don't know. But, I suspect some of this has to do with a stigma attached to getting the virus.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score

Texas not looking so good.
2 weeks ago 7 day average was 3100 roughly. Now it is over 6900. this week there was 50000+ new cases of covid in Texas. In Over a month that would project to be 200000 plus new cases. the latest seem to be doing nothing to slow the virus down. At this point it seems it is too big to stop.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
Thread about the school reopening (Ms. Ranny’s thread, not Mr. Roner’s)::

She asks a bunch of questions she admits there are no answers to, then proposes a bunch of things that will never happen because of the reality of budgets.

Not criticizing you sharing it, but this just underscores my belief that no one has any idea what they're doing re: school reopenings. The Advocate had an article yesterday about how no one in the state is quite sure how to interpret the guidelines on student face mask wearing the state provided, and at the district level parents are falling into "must wear masks or they're not going," "who cares?" and "must not wear masks or not going" groups.

We're going to have a massive clusterfork on our hands come August. There's no way around it. Everything I see indicates a total lack of preparedness.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score

That 10.6% positive test rate is ominous. We're adding about a thousand a day now and trending upward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fleur-de-Links, August 10: Saints safety announces a name change and one player cleared from COVID list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LS Zach Wood to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list after negative tests Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints long snapper Zach Wood retests negative, still in COVID-19 protocol SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints to activate linebacker Kaden Elliss from reserve/COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints announce signing of LB Nigel Bradham, activate LB Kaden Eliss from COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints linebacker Kaden Ellis cleared from COVID-19 list, long snapper Zach Wood to be cleared pending second negative test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LB Kaden Elliss to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 7: Sean Payton happy with Jameis Winston and two players added to reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LB Kaden Eliss, long snapper Zach Wood on COVID-19/reserve list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LS Zach Wood, LB Kaden Elliss on reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
COVID-19 deadline has passed with no additional Saints opting out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2 Saints players put on Covid-19 list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
N/S Raiders lied to players about Gruden having Covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints attempting their own semi-bubble to cope with COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Training Camp: Opt-Outs and COVID-19 Report (Week 1) SR News Page Articles 0
RedJem Jags place Gardner Minshew on Covid list - UPDATE: Deemed good to go [Mod Edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
faceman Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 113
Andrus Saints haven't reported any positive COVID-19 tests yet SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Fifteen new COVID related cases today in NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Dan in Lafayette Nineteen new COVID related cases yesterday NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton says he won't be surprised to see games affected by COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints salary cap space update after the latest signings and opt-outs SR News Page Articles 0
jasonsw N/S Derek Carr tired of being disrespected.(Update,Suspected of using burner account) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
Pelicans shootaround update: Without a doubt, Grizzlies matchup is ‘big game’ Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: New Orleans emphasizes aggressive approach vs. Utah Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0