COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (30 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thread about the school reopening (Ms. Ranny’s thread, not Mr. Roner’s)::

I'd like to note a couple of her tweets as being particularly interesting to me.
First, I agree that come fall, everyone will be symptomatic all the time with *something*. Cold, flu, allergies, whatever. Schools will be the same infectious gumbo they've always been. Except this year, somebody put ghost peppers in the roux.

Second, her tweet about money made the cynic in me laugh.
"We can't do this without money."
No, what you mean is that you can't do it right without money.
I fully expect DeVos to order schools to reopen with no extra funding. Except maybe for the private schools she loves so much.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I agree some of their logic is shaky, however, the part about this situation having an adverse effect on the achievement gap is real. Even though we ( as a country) have had a terrible response, we are at this crossroads where life has to go on ( I mean an adaptive sense). I don't want my kids to be part of an experiment but schools and child care represent a foundation for everyone to work. Fortunately, I'm in the category of those who can work from home but it's very difficult to be productive with young people that have to be monitored. This is the new normal and all of us have to find a way to function this environment.
Life has to go on because we are incapable of taking a few necessary steps to mitigate a very dangerous virus that pretty much everyone else has been able to deal with.

if we are just going on with “this new normal” and the 75% give or take who are willing to wear masks, I think we should take into account how our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed (already happening) and the death that is going to start touching everyone if this continues.

The idea that the current status quo is “the new normal” is flawed because it’s a worsening situation, so if you think we can adjust to how it is now, be prepared for it to get much much worse.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
Life has to go on because we are incapable of taking a few necessary steps to mitigate a very dangerous virus that pretty much everyone else has been able to deal with.

if we are just going on with “this new normal” and the 75% give or take who are willing to wear masks, I think we should take into account how our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed (already happening) and the death that is going to start touching everyone if this continues.

The idea that the current status quo is “the new normal” is flawed because it’s a worsening situation, so if you think we can adjust to how it is now, be prepared for it to get much much worse.
And our inability to even so much as pause normalcy is why the situation is worsening. Most of the rest of the world did it and got things under control. We couldn't go a few months without chips and salsa and chugging cheap light beer and this is where we're at. Sometimes you have to make extraordinary sacrifices to rectify a situation. We are unable to do that. Pretending we will be able to conduct school as normal is another part of that. People are so terrified of having their sense of normalcy upset that they're unwilling to make sacrifices that will be beneficial long term.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Whew, good thing it's almost not an epidemic anymore!
I don't know if I have ever seen it described as an epidemic before. Pandemic is the only description I have seen on this.

EDIT: Guess it is virtually the same thing.

I will say though, reading some of the other headlines on that website, I'd take this "news" with a grain of salt.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
10 grand says that woman runs for Congress
The company she works for will not take action against her because she is the CEO.

The covid epidemic is exposing the bigger epidemic in this country, mental illness.

After reading the full backstory, she is full blown crazy.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I will admit the fact that deaths haven't spiked yet is weird to me, but based on reports of ICUs and hospitals in general filling up, it looks like it's more delayed outcome than anything.
That and the number of COVID deaths that are being classified as pneumonia deaths, etc. in some states.

For my part, I don't really care what they call it. It's killed more than a bad flu year already and the number is rising. And, that doesn't take into account the impairment in lung function for many that recovered from the disease. Given the obvious bent of that website, it seems clear that this is similar to the idea that if we test less, we will have fewer case. Except, in this case it's if we don't have to call it an epidemic, then we don't have to worry about it.

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I agree some of their logic is shaky, however, the part about this situation having an adverse effect on the achievement gap is real. Even though we ( as a country) have had a terrible response, we are at this crossroads where life has to go on ( I mean an adaptive sense). I don't want my kids to be part of an experiment but schools and child care represent a foundation for everyone to work. Fortunately, I'm in the category of those who can work from home but it's very difficult to be productive with young people that have to be monitored. This is the new normal and all of us have to find a way to function this environment.
Please don't take what I am about to say as an attack on you, because it's not. I understand that mental discomfort is a factor not just for the kids but for everybody but geesh, I am not impressed with that argument. It hasn't even been six full months since the first lockdown and people are acting as if they were asked to actually sacrifice a loved one; when all we as nation were asked to do was: social distance, wash hands, wear masks. And we couldn't be bothered enough to do it. And guess what? Everything that we were warned about is coming to fruition. Had we JUST stayed at home for 3 weeks in March, we'd be past this.

Now, the bill is coming due and we are going to have to pay a higher price than we would have paid before. This "Life has to go on" when it hasn't even really been a year, is a frightening ideology. Many MANY more people are going to die with this. If I had children, I'd be willing to keep them home at LEAST 2 years until they sort this mess out rather than them risking permanent damage, death, or me getting sick. People aren't willing to mildly sacrifice and get beyond this mess and now it's worse. This country is an embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 16)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints attempting their own semi-bubble to cope with COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Training Camp: Opt-Outs and COVID-19 Report (Week 1) SR News Page Articles 0
RedJem Jags place Gardner Minshew on Covid list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
faceman Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) [mod edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Andrus Saints haven't reported any positive COVID-19 tests yet SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Fifteen new COVID related cases today in NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Dan in Lafayette Nineteen new COVID related cases yesterday NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton says he won't be surprised to see games affected by COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
jrdbrn Beau Rivage and the COVID Everything Else Board 4
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
jmalon3 NFL COVID Opt out list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
ktmoze Saints Training Camp: Battling COVID-19 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints training camp: Rookies, veteran players testing for COVID-19 soon SR News Page Articles 0
FlySaint Jameis on the shelf? (Speculation about Covid roster strategy) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on COVID-19 adjustments to CBA - Season is a Go Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
Pelicans shootaround update: Without a doubt, Grizzlies matchup is ‘big game’ Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: New Orleans emphasizes aggressive approach vs. Utah Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: Starter minutes may increase in final scrimmage Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans shootaround update: New Orleans welcomes back Zion; encouraging defensive signs Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Update on Pelicans forward Zion Williamson Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0