COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (24 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I'm speechless. I got nothing. :covri:
I'm interested to see if upper management shows up, and how many.

This is a safety meeting. They have a young girl who had been an intern in the department for too long. They just hired her. I'm guessing that they're going to throw her in a room with us and leave her on her own.

To be clear, I applaud the very recent efforts of the White House and Congress. It’s still too politicized in Congress (both sides). Trump is still not fully embracing that this is an emergency. But we’re finally mobilizing our vast resources - which is a good thing, even if a few weeks later than it needed to be had we been more smart and serious about this. It’s real.

To be clear, I applaud the very recent efforts of the White House and Congress. It’s still too politicized in Congress (both sides). Trump is still not fully embracing that this is an emergency. But we’re finally mobilizing our vast resources - which is a good thing, even if a few weeks later than it needed to be had we been more smart and serious about this. It’s real.

I am scared to see how much pork is in this thing. Truth is that $350 billion for small businesses really wont go that far

I am scared to see how much pork is in this thing. Truth is that $350 billion for small businesses really wont go that far
I'm interested to see if they have prevented banks and businesses from taking the interest free/low interest loans, buying bonds with the money, and sitting on it instead of using the money to get things moving.

I'm interested to see if they have prevented banks and businesses from taking the interest free/low interest loans, buying bonds with the money, and sitting on it instead of using the money to get things moving.

God I hope so.

Supposedly they can't buy back stocks with it. And they're not completely without strings. I'm not sure the extent of all that. As with a lot of legislation, the devil's in the details.

I just meant generally (not me specifically), but from January to early March, there’s a lot of content - and a lot of it was “this is coming” and some of it was the “we need to be doing things” and some of it was “why aren’t we doing things?” How is that hindsight?

My point isn’t to argue with you specifically - my point is that it was fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that this was coming, especially without controls on importing it or containing it. And expecting it to come without containment means you have to plan on the impact on local healthcare systems - hospitals in outbreak zones are likely to be unable to handle the demand (based on observed rates of hospitalization). The primary needs shown in China and Italy were PPE, hospital beds, and ventilation.

And I don’t think any of us that were posting on this thread (during that period) are epidemiologists, public health experts, or even doctors. But even to our lay understanding, these were the facets of this epidemic. They were obvious - and the actual professionals and leaders involved should have a far deeper knowledge than us yahoos.

Being critical of the late, weak, and poorly managed US response isn’t hindsight.

There was plenty of "this is coming".... There was plenty of "this will blow over, it's just a flu" too... in hindsight, One was right, and one was wrong.

In hindsight... everyone should have bought a truck load of Toilet Paper back in January.... but "obviously", no one did.... and it's not helpful, insightful, constructive, or informative to point out either at this juncture... "The Obvious" varies from person to person, situation by situation, informed or non-informed (you know this)... Not all obvious is created equal.

It's easy now to say, "Yeah, we shoulda".... but what's the point?

That's all I was getting at.... and it's taking up too much space in a thread I visit everyday to get great information.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see if upper management shows up, and how many.

This is a safety meeting. They have a young girl who had been an intern in the department for too long. They just hired her. I'm guessing that they're going to throw her in a room with us and leave her on her own.

Do you think you’d get fired if you showed up in one of those cheap full body painting suits?

I'm curious to see how much trash is in it from both sides....

Donald Trump THANKING Rachel Maddow has to be the final sign of the coming apocolypse.

but, you know, this is how it *should* be

a freaking pandemic that's killing Americans should be something we can all rally around

I think you misunderstood
You have people who are blaming all inaction or wrong action that has occurred on the president

My point is that for that to be true people would have to be unable to think for themselves, have empathy for others, or sense of responsibility

How many Congressmen were sounding an early warning? They have access to the same info.
So @B4YOU
How about you explain how griping about the mistakes that were made a month ago in here is helping the situation?
Instead of just throwing in a face, explain how that is incorrect
I’m not saying it’s all the President’s fault. I specifically used “Executive branch“ to suggest there is an entire chain of people at fault and not all of them are elected officials. Congress doesn’t have access to info at the same rate as the Executive. One demands, the other asks. Also, the Executive asked for only 2.5B in funding and Congress voted for 8.4B. Compare this initial request to the 6.2B requested for Ebola in 2014.

Most Americans did not hear the message they needed to make an informed decision. The CDC could not give enough information because they lacked data and the ability to manage the data they did have. Also, pride and fear keeps people from bring forthcoming with deficiencies. When someone finally spoke out on Feb 25 the entire Executive went into spin mode. Read or listen to CDC’s Dr. Messonier and then look at the press conference a day later. Agencies model the behavior of the Executive. Leadership matters.

Most Americans can tell you what it means to “go viral” on social media but can’t look at a number set or chart of viral spread and know what’s coming. The risks and spread have been poorly communicated from the start. Education matters.

Lastly, if we don’t examine the past, we will repeat it. If we don’t call out those who have either lied by omission or just made stuff up, then people will continue to listen to the liars. Lies kill people in an outbreak. Truth matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom