COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (27 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this moment just over 1% of active cases in the UK are in critical care. (Worldwide it’s 5% but different testing levels make it harder to use that percentage for the UK)
1% of the 4 million is 40,000. Over 18 months that’s just over 2,000 per month
NHS nightingale will have the capacity to deal with that on its own.
4 million was the number projected to be hospitalised. It's 15% of them who would be projected to need critical care, not 15% of all cases.

1% of all cases generally would be 1% of 39,600,000 people if we're talking 60% of the population, which would be 396,000 people. Or 22,000 a month over 18 months...

I’m not saying it’s all the President’s fault. I specifically used “Executive branch“ to suggest there is an entire chain of people at fault and not all of them are elected officials. Congress doesn’t have access to info at the same rate as the Executive. One demands, the other asks. Also, the Executive asked for only 2.5B in funding and Congress voted for 8.4B. Compare this initial request to the 6.2B requested for Ebola in 2014.

Most Americans did not hear the message they needed to make an informed decision. The CDC could not give enough information because they lacked data and the ability to manage the data they did have. Also, pride and fear keeps people from bring forthcoming with deficiencies. When someone finally spoke out on Feb 25 the entire Executive went into spin mode. Read or listen to CDC’s Dr. Messonier and then look at the press conference a day later. Agencies model the behavior of the Executive. Leadership matters.

Most Americans can tell you what it means to “go viral” on social media but can’t look at a number set or chart of viral spread and know what’s coming. The risks and spread have been poorly communicated from the start. Education matters.

Lastly, if we don’t examine the past, we will repeat it. If we don’t call out those who have either lied by omission or just made stuff up, then people will continue to listen to the liars. Lies kill people in an outbreak. Truth matters.

I completely agree that there will be a time to evaluate and create new laws/policies and procedures but nothing constructive in that regard will happen right now

But this isnt just about a lack of education. People here lack the basic level of empathy to give a damn about how their actions endanger others.

Zero dollars for me (dual income couple above the cutoff line) but $25 billion for the airlines that can't stay out of bankruptcy even in the best of times and charge a premium for the privilege of checking a bag. Awesome.
Corporations are people right?

If they made $75k or less they should get $1,200.

Not sure if my view of it lines up with anyone elses but here goes......my wife is an essential worker and has to go into a hospital every day and risk her and our family's safety in order to care for people. Congress is an essential job to care for people....you can bet your bottom dollar I'm 100% all for them going to work. Let them share some risk.
Hospitals should be booking hotel rooms for staff with families. The government should front the money which would support the industry and provide state tax dollars. Families would be protected. Covid spread would be reduced. The government can take a slice of the industry or demand a % reimbursement.

I completely agree that there will be a time to evaluate and create new laws/policies and procedures but nothing constructive in that regard will happen right now

But this isnt just about a lack of education. People here lack the basic level of empathy to give a damn about how their actions endanger others.
We agree on the lack of empathy. Empathy makes hard choices like “not going to church”, “not socializing”, “not eating out”, etc. doable.

Nothing to add... Except I see this guy flying all over this thread... :D

source.gif

Lots could have been handled better from every Country... top to bottom... Lots could have also been handled much worse...

It's easier to judge after the fact....

Let's just hope everyone does what's right from here on....

Plenty of time to bicker and judge once this is over....

Stay safe... Stay Home...

That's all I got.
Unfortunately, there are over 13,000 posts in this thread and if you go back, you find a ton of posts that don't support your hindsight theory. If anything, this thread has been ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, there are over 13,000 posts in this thread and if you go back, you find a ton of posts that don't support your hindsight theory. If anything, this thread has been ahead of the game.

Agreed... Not sure why it has to be "all or nothing" with some people... I didn't say the thread wasn't informative... I didn't say this thread wasn't ahead of the game...

I said there is too much Hindsight discussion going on in an otherwise great thread I read daily, and we'll have plenty of time to bicker and judge "what should have been".... once this is over.... In the current setting... It's pointless.

I expressed my feelings on that... No need to keep up the game. It's not a "theory"... It was an observation and point of contention for me... I said my peace.

4 million was the number projected to be hospitalised. It's 15% of them who would be projected to need critical care, not 15% of all cases.

1% of all cases generally would be 1% of 39,600,000 people if we're talking 60% of the population, which would be 396,000 people. Or 22,000 a month over 18 months...
Who is projecting 15%?

There are 6,200 in hospital with Coronavirus, 163 of those in critical care. That’s 2.63%, not even close to 15%.

My maths was off, I was assuming that we were only testing those hospitalised, that doesn’t seem to quite be the case.

Hospitals should be booking hotel rooms for staff with families. The government should front the money which would support the industry and provide state tax dollars. Families would be protected. Covid spread would be reduced. The government can take a slice of the industry or demand a % reimbursement.
how can i vote for you?

Corporations are people right?

If they made $75k or less they should get $1,200.

This is kind of tongue-in-cheek, but reveals an important fact.
Corporations want to be people when it suits them and not-people when that's most advantageous.
If us meatsacks don't stop them, it won't be long before we're second class citizens.

That's kind of a funny deal though....I wouldn't want to be separated from my wife and heaven forbid she did get sick so wouldn't be near her if she did. I get it that 1 of us sick is better than all of us.....just not entirely sure how I feel about that. I would much rather see the hospitals doing everything in their power to keep their staff safe and that just isn't happening.

Example. They are floating some nurses to be screeners for people coming into the hospital. They wouldn't give them masks because they said it scares the people coming in....most mentally challenged crap I've ever heard. They said it was a low risk area so no need. So the area of the hospital that has all the incoming traffic going through it and the screeners have to get close to all of them is low risk?

Smart idea, and there are a multitude of ideas like this out there. My company is making heaters for provisional hospitals and temporary shelters, we are doing so at cost. Many companies out there who could provide goods and services that would assist with this effort would be more than happy to do so just to cover their overhead and direct costs... it is a lot better than just eating the overhead, if they even can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom