COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I know is that WHEN we come out of this, we better keep our foot down on the gas pedal for production of masks and ventilators. There will be a next time. There had better be a massive surplus of masks and ventilators sitting around waiting for it. There will be absolutely, positively, ZERO excuse for there not to be.

There was a story I saw on the local San Diego news where they talked about having a stash of masks stored somewhere but they had been sitting around so long that the elastic band deteriorated. I believe they were looking for volunteers to help sew some new bands on.

It's really hard to listen to Trump speak on the virus and discuss it here in the context of the coronavirus and not make negative remarks about his abilities as president. In fact, I would say it's impossible to separate those concepts.

I try to catch my local press conferences live because they're very informative and stay on point. I try to catch the recap of the national task force because I don't want to hear rambling nonsense filled with random interjections about how big and beautiful some conference room happens to be or other random words strewn together.

One thing I know is that WHEN we come out of this, we better keep our foot down on the gas pedal for production of masks and ventilators. There will be a next time. There had better be a massive surplus of masks and ventilators sitting around waiting for it. There will be absolutely, positively, ZERO excuse for there not to be.

after SARS, Ontario stockpiled a ton of masks, but the issue was the elasticized bands, apparently - as CB noted above. The masks, themselves, most people seemed to think were okay but agreed that these things could/should be inventoried better (they couldn't find all of them... whaaaa?) and rotated as stock. These supplies are always needed, so a couple of years before the extras expire, just release those to hospitals to use and don't order new ones.

It doesn't seem that difficult.

But reading about how states are bidding against one another for PPE is ridiculous.

I read where some states were trying to order them because the Fed told them to order it themselves, only to have the Fed bidding against them or seizing the ones that they'd ordered.

Every state needs them - why can't there be a central body or regional bodies to oversee the distribution of these things?

There was a story I saw on the local San Diego news where they talked about having a stash of masks stored somewhere but they had been sitting around so long that the elastic band deteriorated. I believe they were looking for volunteers to help sew some new bands on.
Surely, there's a way to vacuum seal either the whole mask with band or just the bands so that they don't deteriorate as quickly. In any regards, the production of masks needs to be around the clock for a while. A long while.

They should really just use the reusable masks with the replaceable filters.

I listened to a podcast about math education a Couple of months ago.

they talked about the need to have students who are more literate in data analysis and data management.

as we continue to try and make sense of all this data - domestic, time-lagged, international, testing rates, exponential growth, etc - I keep going back to that podcast and how it might just be as important as the podcaster claimed.

I think the goal should be for most high school students to finish calculus by the time they graduate. Or maybe at least pre-calc.

Among other things, you really develop a respect for the exponential function, when you learn the exponential function is its own derivative.

I'll just say this and drop out. ABC used a video of a night firing range from Kentucky and said it was Syria and it happened as a result of Trumps policy. So yes they do.

In October of 2019. And apologized for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom