COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (22 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had to cut to commercial on CNN. The mayor of Seattle just told Don Lemon that she hopes his buddy, Chris Cuomo, gets over his Covid virus......and Don Lemon was going to cry. He said, "I know, I am really worried about him."

Well......that did not last long. Don Lemon finally got his handkerchief and just cried. He said, "Chris is probably sitting at home laughing at me."

Kind of thinking about a trip out of the house tomorrow. Me and the kids have basically been here for 3 weeks. Thinking about taking them down to the woods where we hunt tomorrow and hiking looking for shed antlers and fish some ponds back in the woods. It's about 30 minutes away. I have plenty of fuel in the truck so we won't need to stop anywhere. It's in the middle of the woods so won't be another person for miles. I'm definitely a proponent of staying at home but this trip seems pretty safe to me and will do us some good mentally I think to get away a few hours and get some hiking in.

Kind of thinking about a trip out of the house tomorrow. Me and the kids have basically been here for 3 weeks. Thinking about taking them down to the woods where we hunt tomorrow and hiking looking for shed antlers and fish some ponds back in the woods. It's about 30 minutes away. I have plenty of fuel in the truck so we won't need to stop anywhere. It's in the middle of the woods so won't be another person for miles. I'm definitely a proponent of staying at home but this trip seems pretty safe to me and will do us some good mentally I think to get away a few hours and get some hiking in.

Go for it. Getting outdoors (responsibly) is hugely beneficial.

Go for it. Getting outdoors (responsibly) is hugely beneficial.
I really thought on it a few days now. Like I say...I'm on board with the stay at home thing. 2 of my kids haven't left the house at all in 3 weeks. My older son works so he's went to work a few days a week. There's just zero chance really we're going to need to stop and be around anyone else. I think it'll do far more good mentally than any risk there might be. If I felt like we were going to be around someone I definitely wouldn't go.

I really thought on it a few days now. Like I say...I'm on board with the stay at home thing. 2 of my kids haven't left the house at all in 3 weeks. My older son works so he's went to work a few days a week. There's just zero chance really we're going to need to stop and be around anyone else. I think it'll do far more good mentally than any risk there might be. If I felt like we were going to be around someone I definitely wouldn't go.

Is it allowed under your stay at home order? If so you should go.

We went out to a (not easily accessed) beach yesterday to walk and gather shells - no one in sight. My girls had a blast, it was good for everyone.

Last edited:
As soon as it gets warmer I’m going to start going backpacking. Normally I wouldn’t want to go camping in the mountains before late May, but I might not be able to wait that long this year.

A study in the UK today estimates the mortality rate of 0.66% - granted, that is still nearly 7 times more fatal than the regular flu, but it isn't exponentially worse.

I don't think you're getting the how much worse 7 times the death rate of the regular flu is because you are not looking at it in full scale.

If we're talking 100, 1,000 or even 10.000 people, the difference The difference in fatality rate between the flu and this is less severe.

Assuming the fatality rate is .66%. Then if all 10,000 people are infected then around 66 dead versus around 10 dead from the regular flu. Maybe that can be seen as not exponentially worse in scale.

Now let's take the population of the state of Louisiana which is approximately 4,670,724. Let's say just 10% of population gets infected, that's 467,072 people at a fatality rate of .66% that's around 3,082 dead versus around 440 dead from the regular flu. An extra 1,600 dead in the state is exponentially worse if you ask me. And remember, that was based on just 10% of the population being infected.

Now let's look at the population of the whole country which is around 330,300,000. Again let's assume only 10% of the population is infected, that's 33,000,000 at a fatality rate of .66% is around 217,800 dead versus around 31,114 dead. That means around 186,686 more dead than would be from the regular flu. Does anyone look at that difference and think, that's not exponentially worse. And again, those numbers are based on only 10% of the population getting infected.

Keep in mind that the serious illness rate, those need intensive care, runs much higher. If the number needing intensive care in an area is greater than capacity to provide care, then the fatality rate will climb because of lack of care.

I don't think you're getting the how much worse 7 times the death rate of the regular flu is because you are not looking at it in full scale.

If we're talking 100, 1,000 or even 10.000 people, the difference The difference in fatality rate between the flu and this is less severe.

Assuming the fatality rate is .66%. Then if all 10,000 people are infected then around 66 dead versus around 10 dead from the regular flu. Maybe that can be seen as not exponentially worse in scale.

Now let's take the population of the state of Louisiana which is approximately 4,670,724. Let's say just 10% of population gets infected, that's 467,072 people at a fatality rate of .66% that's around 3,082 dead versus around 440 dead from the regular flu. An extra 1,600 dead in the state is exponentially worse if you ask me. And remember, that was based on just 10% of the population being infected.

Now let's look at the population of the whole country which is around 330,300,000. Again let's assume only 10% of the population is infected, that's 33,000,000 at a fatality rate of .66% is around 217,800 dead versus around 31,114 dead. That means around 186,686 more dead than would be from the regular flu. Does anyone look at that difference and think, that's not exponentially worse. And again, those numbers are based on only 10% of the population getting infected.

Keep in mind that the serious illness rate, those need intensive care, runs much higher. If the number needing intensive care in an area is greater than capacity to provide care, then the fatality rate will climb because of lack of care.

Yes, it’s a big, scary number. And for me it’s not only about the corona cases. For example, my friend’s daughter, recently found out that she has brain cancer. Need to have surgery as soon as possible. And the hospital had to postpone her surgery due to the virus. It’s so sad?

Last edited:
Is it allowed under your stay at home order? If so you should go.

We went out to a (not easily accessed) beach yesterday to walk and gather shells - no one in sight. My girls had a blast, it was good for everyone.
Under the order it looks like we can...not completely sure though.
FAQ's:
Can I take my kids to the park?
Families will still be able to go outside, including to parks and outdoor spaces that remain open, and take a walk, run, or bike ride but should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Playgrounds are closed because they pose a high risk of increasing transmission.

Can I leave home to exercise?
Yes. Outdoor exercise like running or taking a walk is perfectly acceptable; however, exercise gyms, fitness centers and associated facilities are closed to reduce the spread of coronavirus. While exercising outside, you should still practice social distancing by running or walking at least six feet away from other people.

That makes it sound like we can but I'm not sure if they mean you can drive to one or it has to be a neighborhood type thing.

Under the order it looks like we can...not completely sure though.
FAQ's:
Can I take my kids to the park?
Families will still be able to go outside, including to parks and outdoor spaces that remain open, and take a walk, run, or bike ride but should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Playgrounds are closed because they pose a high risk of increasing transmission.

Can I leave home to exercise?
Yes. Outdoor exercise like running or taking a walk is perfectly acceptable; however, exercise gyms, fitness centers and associated facilities are closed to reduce the spread of coronavirus. While exercising outside, you should still practice social distancing by running or walking at least six feet away from other people.

That makes it sound like we can but I'm not sure if they mean you can drive to one or it has to be a neighborhood type thing.

As long as you’re responsible and avoid others outside your household I don’t think anyone’s going to give you a hard time about it. Try not to touch anything that may have had others touching recently.

I’ve been taking my son out on his scooter or bike around the neighborhood everyday. Anyone else out always leave the sidewalk and walk around us in the bike lane so my son doesn’t have to ride in the street.

In our area we’re allowed to drive to get where we need to go, as long as it is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom