COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're at a mid-season filler episode.
Pretty much. Just waiting to see what all the beach going, rioting and partying is going to lead to. After talking to my principal whose mom was in the hospital 5 weeks and the rest of her family who had Covid, I’m perfectly fine sitting in my backyard and wearing a mask.

Pretty much. Just waiting to see what all the beach going, rioting and partying is going to lead to. After talking to my principal whose mom was in the hospital 5 weeks and the rest of her family who had Covid, I’m perfectly fine sitting in my backyard and wearing a mask.

Yeah, you want be catching me out for anything other than food, medicine, or work. All with a mask on. I do think New Orleans is doing great right now, but I don't really see how it won't come back strong within a month or so. Hope I'm wrong.

I think you are thinking of the draft reopening guidance for businesses, churches, schools, etc., that Trump quashed. I've seen a copy - it does not address when to go to Phase 2, just what entities should do once there.

I'm pretty sure the Phase to Phase guidance is what I linked above - its not hard - if you meet the gating criteria (availability of testing/beds/tracing), go to Phase I. If Phase I does not lead to a spike and you can still meet the gating criteria, go to Phase II. Repeat for Phase III

If there is some double secret standard that LaToya has, she should share it. Because up until now she and all the official City outlets have used their "dashboard" (linked in my post above) as their stated metrics for making these calls.

It does seem that New Orleans is much better on the gating criteria than many places that have eased earlier - they never really had the downward trajectory to start with. LA has a clear top and down slope.

I think she thinks that New Orleans has a much higher population density than most of the south and perhaps the community more at-risk and wants to be careful. Too much perhaps.

Well, if we're still doing this, then here's Florida..

1591069881513.png

1591069995399.png

1591070023096.png

1591070075284.png

1591070135734.png

Louisiana has 16,000 less cases than Florida, but 600k less tested than florida too.

1591070297773.png

1591070684734.png

And the logarithmic chart shows how well, overall we're doing. We were on track to hit 10M cases by mid April. The measures have done a lot.

1591070756238.png

Louisiana has 16,000 less cases than Florida, but 600k less tested than florida too.

1591070297773.png

Yeah, while the New Orleans area is doing a lot of testing and the numbers are going down, much of the State is not doing as well. My wife is from Alexandria, Louisiana (right in the middle of that map) and her sisters say the numbers are going up and it's hard to get tested because there few mobile testing stations in the area and you can't get tested at a hospital unless you are admitted to the hospital first. I suspect much of the State just doesn't want to know the numbers so they aren't testing. And frankly, I think the only reason the entire state will go to Phase 2 on Friday is because the Governor knew that the Republican caucus in the state legislature were going to vote to override his order.

1591070297773.png

The big number of total cases reflects our huge initial spike but we are testing at above target statewide (not just Orleans, which is basically the South Korea of LA parishes) and our curve is pretty damn flat.

We also have something to the tune of 16 million less people.

Louisiana got our arse kicked early but we are in as good a shape as any state IMO.

We suck at everything except cooking and football but we seem to have figured this out.

I wish the stories would catch up with the numbers.

1591073409240.png1591073693163.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom