COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They include MWF school days with Tue-Thur being done via video platform. Also, strict refusal of any kids without required vaccinations. Class sizes will be reduced and the school day may be lengthened. This is just one school district but plans are in place to get them back in the classroom.
I can only imagine the burden that kind of educational system is going to put on all families. Single parent families epically. Don't quote me but I think I saw a report here in Houston that reported something like 30% of school age kids didn't attend any online classes. Reasons given were lack of technology access to, patent(s) working no supervision, having to take care of siblings etc. At least a school environment offered some stability, access to meals, caring adults. Online learning for primary education just digs the disadvantaged a deeper hole IMO.

I can only imagine the burden that kind of educational system is going to put on all families. Single parent families epically. Don't quote me but I think I saw a report here in Houston that reported something like 30% of school age kids didn't attend any online classes. Reasons given were lack of technology access to, patent(s) working no supervision, having to take care of siblings etc. At least a school environment offered some stability, access to meals, caring adults. Online learning for primary education just digs the disadvantaged a deeper hole IMO.
That's a good point to make. We have a strong internet connection, and had no issues with myself, my wife, and our two kids all online at the same time. But my son's friend just three doors down told us he had regular trouble connecting with the online content.

I've seen some of the preliminary plans that at least one school system plans to put in place to get kids back in classes. They include MWF school days with Tue-Thur being done via video platform. Also, strict refusal of any kids without required vaccinations. Class sizes will be reduced and the school day may be lengthened. This is just one school district but plans are in place to get them back in the classroom.
The school’s I’m involved with have about 4 contingency plans
Some teachers are not only in the dark about what/how they’ll be teaching but even if they’ll be teaching

On a personal note, the college my kid is entering this fall announced they plan to be on campus and are doing the same "start early, end early" model that Notre Dame, UVa, Charleston and others have announced. No fall break and home by Thanksgiving.

Love ❤️ it! Made me cry 😢

Nice to see some positive joy 👍🇺🇸👏
The younger one had a hard time processing
I read it as:
Mom was in danger
There’s a disease
Maybe mom got it
Should I hug her
- and then her daughterness kicked in

I’ve seen my 6 yr old have similar unstated questions/concerns about ‘outside’

Covid update Austin TX. Past two days there have been 88 and 75 new Corona cases. The highest two day total so far. 88 in one day on June 1 was highest spike recorded.

It's evident warm weather isn't slowing down Corona like it does with the typical flu. No telling what the real number is. Not everyone with flu like symptoms goes and gets tested. There are many who can't afford to go to a doctor in normal circumstances. With many people unemployed just trying to survive the day and somehow pay the bills is the number one priority.

Covid update Austin TX. Past two days there have been 88 and 75 new Corona cases. The highest two day total so far. 88 in one day on June 1 was highest spike recorded.

It's evident warm weather isn't slowing down Corona like it does with the typical flu. No telling what the real number is. Not everyone with flu like symptoms goes and gets tested. There are many who can't afford to go to a doctor in normal circumstances. With many people unemployed just trying to survive the day and somehow pay the bills is the number one priority.
I disagree and think warm weather does slow it down like the typical flu, it's just a more contagious virus. So it spreads a lot more in than the flu in the fall/winter but it also spreads a lot faster than the flu in warmer weather too. Where the flu transmission drops below 1, covid does not.

Aren't average ICU occupation rates even in normal times around 70%?

Seems to be in the 60s (per citation below). That does suggest that considering anything over 70% to be worrisome may be too critical - but if places like Maryland are over 90%, that's still a significant concern.

Seems to be in the 60s (per citation below). That does suggest that considering anything over 70% to be worrisome may be too critical - but if places like Maryland are over 90%, that's still a significant concern.

Only reason this is worrisome is because it is slightly above average outside of flu season. Overall, it's actually a pretty good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom