COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a very disappointing article in The Atlantic this morning. I wish I could say that I was surprised by anything I read, but I am not. Most of those 120,000 dead could have been prevented easily, almost without effort. That's more lives lost than the US lost in WWI and it doesn't look like it's stopping there.
That is a very long article. I don't care. Everyone should read it anyway

I'm also hearing now that all the bars are closed in Florida that people in the panhandle and in Pensacola Beach are driving over the bars on the Alabama coast making them really crowded.

This is the busiest time of the year for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. Very little or no vacancies so unless they are all driving drunk home, I doubt there's more than maybe people from Perdido and Innerarity Point headed over in their boats. Many bars on P'beach are still open. With the 4th this weekend and the Blues next weekend, most will stay open as they also serve food.

This is the busiest time of the year for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. Very little or no vacancies so unless they are all driving drunk home, I doubt there's more than maybe people from Perdido and Innerarity Point headed over in their boats. Many bars on P'beach are still open. With the 4th this weekend and the Blues next weekend, most will stay open as they also serve food.

We have noticed that vacation rentals in Hilton Head, Kiawah, and the Charleston beaches (IOP and Folly) are also booked solid.

I think this makes sense as people in the region are opting to drive to a vacation at beach houses instead of going places like the Bahamas and Disney World. Sure, many are going out to bars and restaurants and not being responsible. But even for those who are being responsible, a beach rental seems like a decent option for some kind of a summer vacation. I'm not surprised they're very busy.

FYI, they (unknown they, but it was in the PNJ) will be streaming the blue angels show this year. So that should be cool for everyone.

Not directed at you, but the tweet is pretty useless. Looking at it through the partisan lens is pretty simplistic. They could have simply said that the Virus started in major Hub cities, like NYC, Chicago, Miami, NJ (more for being connected to NYC), and we're now seeing it in other cities, like Houston, Dallas, SF, LA.

Or, that coastal cities saw the first wave, and now inland cities and non-urban areas are seeing the next wave. So, areas that were mostly spared, so maybe didn't appreciate it, are getting nailed.

Not directed at you, but the tweet is pretty useless. Looking at it through the partisan lens is pretty simplistic. They could have simply said that the Virus started in major Hub cities, like NYC, Chicago, Miami, NJ (more for being connected to NYC), and we're now seeing it in other cities, like Houston, Dallas, SF, LA.

Or, that coastal cities saw the first wave, and now inland cities and non-urban areas are seeing the next wave. So, areas that were mostly spared, so maybe didn't appreciate it, are getting nailed.
Possibly but it is a problem exclusive to America and Brazil which leads to some pretty damning evidence. Combine that with mask data, policy, social distancing practices combined with leadership in the different areas the evidence becomes overwhelming. Not to be that controversial person but we are forced to stare through that lens by political leaders and their actions (or inactions).

That data looks weird @buzd it's definitely not even... Their testing volume is all over the place.

1593538459581.png

edit:

My guess is there is a back log, since the other data (a week old) isn't showing those kind of spikes.

1593538730505.png

Just caught the tail end of something on NPR about many states switching to sending in tests in much larger batches than they have been so far. I didn't catch the logic as to how or why they're doing this. Anyone hear about this?

Weird that in that OK chart it's only Sundays and Mondays that have testing numbers in the hundreds while every other day is in the thousands.

Summer officially started yesterday, with 'school' ending. As more people venture out, now that Toronto is in the next phase of re-opening, the Mayor and City Council announced mandatory masks indoors.

Possibly but it is a problem exclusive to America and Brazil which leads to some pretty damning evidence. Combine that with mask data, policy, social distancing practices combined with leadership in the different areas the evidence becomes overwhelming. Not to be that controversial person but we are forced to stare through that lens by political leaders and their actions (or inactions).
Understood. I didn't say it was wrong, just simplistic. It lacks nuance.

There are two types of people.

1. People who categorize everything into two groups.
2. Those that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom