COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught the tail end of something on NPR about many states switching to sending in tests in much larger batches than they have been so far. I didn't catch the logic as to how or why they're doing this. Anyone hear about this?

Weird that in that OK chart it's only Sundays and Mondays that have testing numbers in the hundreds while every other day is in the thousands.
It might be expedited results. Those cases probably do bat near 1.000.

It might be expedited results. Those cases probably do bat near 1.000.
That would make sense. Didn't even cross my mind. Then again, I haven't been really digging into the statistics and have really only been paying attention to New Orleans and the surrounding areas.

Summer officially started yesterday, with 'school' ending. As more people venture out, now that Toronto is in the next phase of re-opening, the Mayor and City Council announced mandatory masks indoors.

Any idea as to what they're going to do for enforcement? Just curious. I honestly think that wherever there is a mandatory mask order in place that people who refuse to comply should at least have to pay a fine. Kind of like seatbelts. $25 for a first offense and it just goes up exponentially from there. Slapping a fine on the business that doesn't enforce it isn't enough. We have to make people take this seriously and lots of people don't care about anything until it hits them in the wallet.

Understood. I didn't say it was wrong, just simplistic. It lacks nuance.

There are two types of people.

1. People who categorize everything into two groups.
2. Those that don't.
When two groups take opposite responses and get opposite results it becomes appropriate.

I'm not saying it is the only reason. I'm quite sure the hot weather is also playing an inverse impact by forcing people indoors and we're about to hit a really hot stretch in the southern and central plains as well as SW.

This constant need to not make it political has been trumped (pun not intended) by those that made it political. The only way thie USA's results can not be directly tied to it's response, specifically that of the White House, is through willful ignorance. It isn't some sort of political game, it's fact backed up by tremendous amounts of research, much of which started long before Covid. I'm not at all accusing you of either, just stating the reasoning why you we up with inverse relationship charts of red and blue state case load in a pandemic.

Any idea as to what they're going to do for enforcement? Just curious. I honestly think that wherever there is a mandatory mask order in place that people who refuse to comply should at least have to pay a fine. Kind of like seatbelts. $25 for a first offense and it just goes up exponentially from there. Slapping a fine on the business that doesn't enforce it isn't enough. We have to make people take this seriously and lots of people don't care about anything until it hits them in the wallet.
Not sure about individuals, but in South Florida, the bars that were violating the rules were ordered shut, or slapped with a $240-400 first offense fine.. then a pizza place that broke the rules twice, was hit with a $15,000 fine. No joke.

that's the big question. I am not sure yet - I haven't seen, but also haven't really looked. Most people up here have been compliant even without any law in place. Probably 80%.

I think the symbolic institution of a rule is going to add at least 10% to that number.

I think they are mostly relying on the good will. Stores refusing entry to customers. Restaurants refusing entry and service. Things like that.

I think the last thing the city wants is for the police to be given more latitude to engage negatively with the public. I imagine a fine, but not sure what it would be.

Not declaring any kind of victory yet, but nice to see the numbers backing off a bit in Florida. Might be due to a back log though. Also, while the real spike won't show up in deaths for another week or two (or three?), the rate was already doubled about 3 weeks ago, and we haven't see any uptick in deaths. So, that's good, so far.

1593540819760.png

I won't deny the political leaning playing into it, but another big factor is areas that haven't had a lot of cases are naturally lax...

You see bigger differences witht he "all or most of the time" numbers vs lumping it in with the "some of the time" numbers. Asian's and Hispanics taking it seriously. Overall though, 65% saying most of the time, and 80% saying most or some times is pretty encouraging as a whole.

1593541115315.png

More evidence that the age of the spike of cases is getting older . . . this from Louisiana. In other words, as we anticipated in our discussion here, the younger age of the beginning of the spike corresponded to young people being out and about (Memorial Day, bars, parties, protests, etc.) but that as the cases get more diffused into the community, the age will go up. We're seeing that now.

I won't deny the political leaning playing into it, but another big factor is areas that haven't had a lot of cases are naturally lax...

That's not as much fun though.

I think that is a major factor, along with education, socio-economics, age, politics, and local custom.

The doc we use for most employee related health issues says the biggest indicator of mask usage of patients that come in to his clinic is socio-economic. The vessel captains/supervisors that make six figures all wear masks. The deckhands and entry level field personnel do not, regardless of race or hometown.

That's not as much fun though.

I think that is a major factor, along with education, socio-economics, age, politics, and local custom.

The doc we use for most employee related health issues says the biggest indicator of mask usage of patients that come in to his clinic is socio-economic. The vessel captains/supervisors that make six figures all wear masks. The deckhands and entry level field personnel do not, regardless of race or hometown.

For a real life demonstration of this premise, if you have a Whole Foods and a Walmart nearby, go observe. The mitigation participation at Whole Foods will be much, much higher.

Not directed at you, but the tweet is pretty useless. Looking at it through the partisan lens is pretty simplistic. They could have simply said that the Virus started in major Hub cities, like NYC, Chicago, Miami, NJ (more for being connected to NYC), and we're now seeing it in other cities, like Houston, Dallas, SF, LA.

Or, that coastal cities saw the first wave, and now inland cities and non-urban areas are seeing the next wave. So, areas that were mostly spared, so maybe didn't appreciate it, are getting nailed.
But would not address how we had similar arcs as others countries then wildly diverged

A tweet from the LA health dept says today's tests results were from June 23 to June 29, so I think there is definitely a backlog being cleared.

We will need to wait til after the holiday weekend to see the real trend (data based on date of test, not when it was reported out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom