COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point here does hospital/ICU space become an issue in the states?

I could recall the panic button being pushed within a couple of weeks during the first outbreak phase, yet this time around, it does not seem to be as big of a focus.

Very soon. Some states are pushing up against capacity. As of Thursday Arizona was at 91%.

I could recall the panic button being pushed within a couple of weeks during the first outbreak phase, yet this time around, it does not seem to be as big of a focus.

The next two weeks are shaping up to be disastrous on that front in several states.

re: Canada/US Border

So, my brother in law, who works on vehicles, is constantly getting parts in from the US. Sometimes, they don't ship across the border, so he has them delivered to a warehouse and every couple of months he crosses to pick up a shipment.

He just went a couple of weeks ago and it was the first time since the COVID outbreak. He said it was 'eerie' - no cars. He was the only one crossing at the time he went. When he crossed over into the US, they asked the typical questions - nothing really different.

When he crossed back into Canada, it was a different story.

The border agents asked him health questions and where he went - he had to give an address and it was deemed 'within the city' even though it was on the outskirts and he didn't even talk to anyone.

He was told anyone coming from the US and had any potential contact with anyone/anything in the US, it was a mandatory quarantine. 14 days. And if he was going home, his wife and kids had to quarantine for 14 days.

Every day, he got a call from Health Canada to check that he was at home and he was told that regional Health Canada officials could come to his house, take his temperature and give him a screening. He also had to submit information for contact tracing. And if he was found in violation, it's a 3-year prison sentence or 3-million dollar fine.

Canada is *NOT* playing around.

What is the status on all these ventilators we were supposed to be mass producing a while back at the various large automotive plants? I haven't heard a peep about it since then.

Someone called me hyperbolic way back in the thread when I said America was closer to a failed state than an exceptional superpower. There was zero hyperbole in that statement. This is what a dying former superpower looks like.

Honestly, that would be good. We don't need to be a superpower given all that implies and it's not necessary. Maybe it was when there was a U.S.S.R. but there isn't anymore. Being a superpower now involves a large military used to interfere in the internal politics of other nations resulting in hatred of America and out of control spending on something that helps nobody. We should shift our focus from being a military power to once again being a world leader in R & D, science, and education. We were that not long ago, but gave it up to play Team America: World Police.

Honestly, that would be good. We don't need to be a superpower given all that implies and it's not necessary. Maybe it was when there was a U.S.S.R. but there isn't anymore. Being a superpower now involves a large military used to interfere in the internal politics of other nations resulting in hatred of America and out of control spending on something that helps nobody. We should shift our focus from being a military power to once again being a world leader in R & D, science, and education. We were that not long ago, but gave it up to play Team America: World Police.

There needs to be some sort of world offset to the unscrupulous superpowers who would burn the world down for their own benefit (China, Russia). But right now, we are cutting off our noses to spite our face - we are doing at the cost of not investing in ourselves (and also turning our friends into enemies at this point).

There is room for a huge amount of compromise there if we are willing to do it (and unfortunately there is too much money and corruption in the military industrial complex). It's not necessary to be able to blow up the world 50 times when once or twice will do.

I was just thinking the same thing. I seem to recall hearing reports of ICUs filling open and having to open new wings in New Orleans when this first started. But those reports more or less came after we were already under the Stay at Home Order. Now we are hearing it in other places and the level of caution and action seems to be significantly less.

There needs to be some sort of world offset to the unscrupulous superpowers who would burn the world down for their own benefit (China, Russia). But right now, we are cutting off our noses to spite our face - we are doing at the cost of not investing in ourselves (and also turning our friends into enemies at this point).

There is room for a huge amount of compromise there if we are willing to do it (and unfortunately there is too much money and corruption in the military industrial complex). It's not necessary to be able to blow up the world 50 times when once or twice will do.

I agree you have to check Russia and China, but I think that would be done more effectively with diplomacy backed by an organization like NATO. Anyway, yeah, we should be investing in ourselves and making friends around the world, but instead we are leaving organizations like WHO, refusing to fund the United Nations, etc. And, yeah, it's not likely to change because the Boeings, Lockhead Martins, and Northrup Grummans, have so much control over our elected officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom