COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life has to go on because we are incapable of taking a few necessary steps to mitigate a very dangerous virus that pretty much everyone else has been able to deal with.

if we are just going on with “this new normal” and the 75% give or take who are willing to wear masks, I think we should take into account how our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed (already happening) and the death that is going to start touching everyone if this continues.

The idea that the current status quo is “the new normal” is flawed because it’s a worsening situation, so if you think we can adjust to how it is now, be prepared for it to get much much worse.

And our inability to even so much as pause normalcy is why the situation is worsening. Most of the rest of the world did it and got things under control. We couldn't go a few months without chips and salsa and chugging cheap light beer and this is where we're at. Sometimes you have to make extraordinary sacrifices to rectify a situation. We are unable to do that. Pretending we will be able to conduct school as normal is another part of that. People are so terrified of having their sense of normalcy upset that they're unwilling to make sacrifices that will be beneficial long term.

Whew, good thing it's almost not an epidemic anymore!

I don't know if I have ever seen it described as an epidemic before. Pandemic is the only description I have seen on this.

EDIT: Guess it is virtually the same thing.

I will say though, reading some of the other headlines on that website, I'd take this "news" with a grain of salt.

10 grand says that woman runs for Congress
The company she works for will not take action against her because she is the CEO.

The covid epidemic is exposing the bigger epidemic in this country, mental illness.

After reading the full backstory, she is full blown crazy.

I will admit the fact that deaths haven't spiked yet is weird to me, but based on reports of ICUs and hospitals in general filling up, it looks like it's more delayed outcome than anything.

That and the number of COVID deaths that are being classified as pneumonia deaths, etc. in some states.

For my part, I don't really care what they call it. It's killed more than a bad flu year already and the number is rising. And, that doesn't take into account the impairment in lung function for many that recovered from the disease. Given the obvious bent of that website, it seems clear that this is similar to the idea that if we test less, we will have fewer case. Except, in this case it's if we don't have to call it an epidemic, then we don't have to worry about it.

I agree some of their logic is shaky, however, the part about this situation having an adverse effect on the achievement gap is real. Even though we ( as a country) have had a terrible response, we are at this crossroads where life has to go on ( I mean an adaptive sense). I don't want my kids to be part of an experiment but schools and child care represent a foundation for everyone to work. Fortunately, I'm in the category of those who can work from home but it's very difficult to be productive with young people that have to be monitored. This is the new normal and all of us have to find a way to function this environment.
Please don't take what I am about to say as an attack on you, because it's not. I understand that mental discomfort is a factor not just for the kids but for everybody but geesh, I am not impressed with that argument. It hasn't even been six full months since the first lockdown and people are acting as if they were asked to actually sacrifice a loved one; when all we as nation were asked to do was: social distance, wash hands, wear masks. And we couldn't be bothered enough to do it. And guess what? Everything that we were warned about is coming to fruition. Had we JUST stayed at home for 3 weeks in March, we'd be past this.

Now, the bill is coming due and we are going to have to pay a higher price than we would have paid before. This "Life has to go on" when it hasn't even really been a year, is a frightening ideology. Many MANY more people are going to die with this. If I had children, I'd be willing to keep them home at LEAST 2 years until they sort this mess out rather than them risking permanent damage, death, or me getting sick. People aren't willing to mildly sacrifice and get beyond this mess and now it's worse. This country is an embarrassment.

Please don't take what I am about to say as an attack on you, because it's not. I understand that mental discomfort is a factor not just for the kids but for everybody but geesh, I am not impressed with that argument. It hasn't even been six full months since the first lockdown and people are acting as if they were asked to actually sacrifice a loved one; when all we as nation were asked to do was: social distance, wash hands, wear masks. And we couldn't be bothered enough to do it. And guess what? Everything that we were warned about is coming to fruition. Had we JUST stayed at home for 3 weeks in March, we'd be past this.

Now, the bill is coming due and we are going to have to pay a higher price than we would have paid before. This "Life has to go on" when it hasn't even really been a year, is a frightening ideology. Many MANY more people are going to die with this. If I had children, I'd be willing to keep them home at LEAST 2 years until they sort this mess out rather than them risking permanent damage, death, or me getting sick. People aren't willing to mildly sacrifice and get beyond this mess and now it's worse. This country is an embarrassment.

Welcome to the 3rd world.

It's cool how we skipped the whole 'decaying colonial nation no longer able to project power' phase and skipped right to 'hyperviolent banana republic'.

No offense is taken. I'm not anti-scientific, and by no means am I willing to risk my kid's health. My point is that this thing is not going away anytime soon and we have to figure out a way to function moving forward because the chances of a vaccine slim when you look at the time table of other viruses. I'm trying to figure out a pragmatic middle ground beyond just stay in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom