Covid Sports (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Catchall for whatever you’re watching

I usually get a few innings of KoreanBaseball before the boys get up

Sometimes I’m up early enough to watch New Zealand rugby or even Aussie Rules (this is the one I would really like more timely access to)

I have VERY much enjoyed midday weekday EPL and Serie A matches)
I would love if MLS spread it’s schedule around but I realize they’re navigating Florida heat
— I do appreciate that MLS on ESPN is the only sport/broadcast to use only ambient sound (even mls on fox does fake crowd noise even though there aren’t any stands much less crowds)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I think we are missing a chance to think outside the box.

I think we should have a professional ping pong league. Mask and gloves, with only the competitors in the room.

Could probably try to bring bowling and pool back to their glory days.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I think we should have a professional ping pong league. Mask and gloves, with only the competitors in the room.

I tend to not watch rebroadcast games (except saints and some lsu), but I have no idea why cornhole is wall to wall when this would be the perfect opportunity to make much more of The Ocho

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 of the odd Covid things I’ve seen
- when pro soccer guys score, their instinct kicks in and the head to the corner to celebrate with fans - they get 2-3 steps in and are like ‘oh yeah - no fans’
Then they just kind of do a watered down version of their regular celebration

- Korean baseball still has cheerleaders in empty stadia
If you’ve seen Korean (or Japanese) baseball before Covid, you know they are raucous affairs similar to college basketball
In KBO cheerleaders seem like they are a huge part of the experience (very kpop)
So I can see why the stadium would still want them, and I imagine Korean broadcasts focus on them much more than ESPN (which tends to be 2 somnambulant guys awkwardly interviewing an even less interesting person), but it’s just bizarre seeing cheers being lead with zero followers

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Catchall for whatever you’re watching

I usually get a few innings of KoreanBaseball before the boys get up

Sometimes I’m up early enough to watch New Zealand rugby or even Aussie Rules (this is the one I would really like more timely access to)

I have VERY much enjoyed midday weekday EPL and Serie A matches)
I would love if MLS spread it’s schedule around but I realize they’re navigating Florida heat
— I do appreciate that MLS on ESPN is the only sport/broadcast to use only ambient sound (even mls on fox does fake crowd noise even though there aren’t any stands much less crowds)
I actually like the fake crowd noise. I watched some Bundesliga games that did not have the fake crowd noise and it just felt weird. The EPL games with the fake crowd noise just has a better feel to it. Don't know about MLS. I've tried to get into it, but I can't. Not sure if it's the level of play or just lack of a team I care about.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like the fake crowd noise. I watched some Bundesliga games that did not have the fake crowd noise and it just felt weird. The EPL games with the fake crowd noise just has a better feel to it. Don't know about MLS. I've tried to get into it, but I can't. Not sure if it's the level of play or just lack of a team I care about.
The ambient broadcast does have more of a scrimmage feel to it
But I like the realism
The piped in noise in MLS not even playing in stadia, feels like a scooby doo cartoon where they have a laugh track - and once you start trying to untie that knot, it’s hard to think of anything else

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

this would greatly improve my ability to take naps. Although bowling would jar me awake every minute or so. Maybe nerf bowling.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The ambient broadcast does have more of a scrimmage feel to it
But I like the realism
The piped in noise in MLS not even playing in stadia, feels like a scooby doo cartoon where they have a laugh track - and once you start trying to untie that knot, it’s hard to think of anything else
I think the NBC Sports broadcasts do a decent job with the EPL game crowd noise. Not sure if it's someone at the stadium or part of the broadcast crew, but they do a decent job of having the crowd noise match the action on the pitch without is being overbearing. But, if MLS is just pumping in ambient crowd noise, I can see how that could be really odd.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wish Golf would pipe in some crowd noise on the TV broadcast. How I miss hearing, "Get in the hole!!!".

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score
Who would have thought that someday "The Ocho" would actually be the biggest source for live sports?

KiwiSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I’m trying my best to get into AFL here in Oz...adopted a team, the Western Bulldogs, but it’s just making me miss football more and more. I’ve allowed the Saints’ seasons to become an integral part of my annual routine. With the season hanging by a slim thread, I feel a growing anxiety about a year with no football. I know it’s irrational to let football rule your life but unfortunately it’s my reality.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m trying my best to get into AFL here in Oz...adopted a team, the Western Bulldogs, but it’s just making me miss football more and more. I’ve allowed the Saints’ seasons to become an integral part of my annual routine. With the season hanging by a slim thread, I feel a growing anxiety about a year with no football. I know it’s irrational to let football rule your life but unfortunately it’s my reality.
Western killed it this am
They were up something like 70-30 after 3
Which was about the time my 6 yr old wrestled the tv away so I didn’t fight him over it

It’s fun bc the fox broadcast ofAFL seems to just play the Aussie feed, so you get to see ads for Farmer wants Wife and many things involving kangaroos

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Formula 1 racing.

Austrian Grand Prix 2 weeks ago was electric.
Styrian Grand Prix qualifying was intense last week. The race was just ok.
The Hungarian Grand Prix is this weekend. Actually got up this morning at 4a to watch Practice 1.

Lots of story lines. Lots of drama. F1 delivers.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Formula 1 racing.

Austrian Grand Prix 2 weeks ago was electric.
Styrian Grand Prix qualifying was intense last week. The race was just ok.
The Hungarian Grand Prix is this weekend. Actually got up this morning at 4a to watch Practice 1.

Lots of story lines. Lots of drama. F1 delivers.
Who broadcasts F1 these days? I used to watch F1 all the time when I was younger, but haven't come across it on TV for years. I always found F1 much more interesting than NASCAR or Indy/CART.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Source: Saints LS Zach Wood to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list after negative tests Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints long snapper Zach Wood retests negative, still in COVID-19 protocol SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints to activate linebacker Kaden Elliss from reserve/COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints announce signing of LB Nigel Bradham, activate LB Kaden Eliss from COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints linebacker Kaden Ellis cleared from COVID-19 list, long snapper Zach Wood to be cleared pending second negative test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LB Kaden Elliss to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 7: Sean Payton happy with Jameis Winston and two players added to reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LB Kaden Eliss, long snapper Zach Wood on COVID-19/reserve list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LS Zach Wood, LB Kaden Elliss on reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
COVID-19 deadline has passed with no additional Saints opting out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2 Saints players put on Covid-19 list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 71
N/S Raiders lied to players about Gruden having Covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints attempting their own semi-bubble to cope with COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Training Camp: Opt-Outs and COVID-19 Report (Week 1) SR News Page Articles 0
RedJem Jags place Gardner Minshew on Covid list - UPDATE: Deemed good to go [Mod Edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
faceman Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 113
Andrus Saints haven't reported any positive COVID-19 tests yet SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Fifteen new COVID related cases today in NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Dan in Lafayette Nineteen new COVID related cases yesterday NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton says he won't be surprised to see games affected by COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
jrdbrn Beau Rivage and the COVID Everything Else Board 4
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Saints land on Forbes' top 50 list again for most valuable sports teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints QB Drew Brees used unusual sports this offseason to help him throw a 60-yard pass Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tulane alumni talk return of pro sports on webinar Saints RSS News Feeds 0