Covid19 outside of Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this belongs in another thread, move it if it does.
So, I am in Amish County, PA, surrounded by farms, mules and the old order Amish. I've got a zillion Amish relatives, as my mom was Amish until the family left the faith to be Mennonite.
My neighbors, dairy farmers, have assured me I will not go hungry!!! Lol, It would not hurt me to go hungry.

So in PA, the Amish ive talked to think this is all political. (?). They have complied and cancelled church (they meet in homes with about 50-75, and tons of children. Each church member has a turn to host). My neighbor told me the bishops met and decided church is resumed on Sunday. I'm not sure if this is for the whole county, or just this group. They've compromised by not having the huge meal afterwards. Sundays in Lancaster county have many buggies, with Amish dressed in their best enroute to homes. I expect this will not end well.

If the Amish were in charge, they would've shut nothing down, buried the dead, maybe gotten herd immunity, and said it was Gods will. Remember how they forgave with the Amish school shooting..one of which was a relative of mine.
So dont bash the Amish, but how is your area dealing?

Just an aside, I was just reading a Face book post about York County, how COVID-19 has hit the Latino population the hardest comprising 71.6 percent of the cases.

Do you have any Rumspringa stories? Genuinely curious!

Do you have any Rumspringa stories? Genuinely curious!
No. I was never Amish. My mom was, and they were too poor to do that when she was of age. I do see lots of open buggies with lots of youth in them, but mostly they go to youth events, singing, volleyball.

Just an aside, I was just reading a Face book post about York County, how COVID-19 has hit the Latino population the hardest comprising 71.6 percent of the cases.
York county numbers are way lower than Lancaster county. Lancaster county has lots of nursing homes, and luxurious retirement villages.

To answer you question, I have not heard that about York county.

To answer you question, I have not heard that about York county.
I know it's apropos of nothing but I just happened to read that right before I saw your post. I'm just keeping an eye on what's happening back home, so I'm interested to hear about the perspective of all this from the Amish community. I don't know personally anyone who's been affected directly either up there or down here where I am.

I know it's apropos of nothing but I just happened to read that right before I saw your post. I'm just keeping an eye on what's happening back home, so I'm interested to hear about the perspective of all this from the Amish community. I don't know personally anyone who's been affected directly either up there or down here where I am.
My parents lost a friend. My cousin and her husband have it. My other cousin has a son that has it. My parents friend who died was in a retirement village in my county. The rest are scattered. True to Amish tradition, my mom has 15 siblings and my dad has 11, so I have a zillion cousins.

Totally separate, my son in law lost an uncle in New Jersey.

I'm in Northwest Indiana.

7 midwestern states created a pact to coordinate when, and how, to re-open.

My county has been hit hard. We have the second most cases in the state and we're not really testing. Financially, the virus plus the oil price war is devastating our local economy.

The good news is that the state has 75% of its ventilators available though they may not be where they're needed.

I'm not sure if this belongs in another thread, move it if it does.
So, I am in Amish County, PA, surrounded by farms, mules and the old order Amish. I've got a zillion Amish relatives, as my mom was Amish until the family left the faith to be Mennonite.
My neighbors, dairy farmers, have assured me I will not go hungry!!! Lol, It would not hurt me to go hungry.

So in PA, the Amish ive talked to think this is all political. (?). They have complied and cancelled church (they meet in homes with about 50-75, and tons of children. Each church member has a turn to host). My neighbor told me the bishops met and decided church is resumed on Sunday. I'm not sure if this is for the whole county, or just this group. They've compromised by not having the huge meal afterwards. Sundays in Lancaster county have many buggies, with Amish dressed in their best enroute to homes. I expect this will not end well.

If the Amish were in charge, they would've shut nothing down, buried the dead, maybe gotten herd immunity, and said it was Gods will. Remember how they forgave with the Amish school shooting..one of which was a relative of mine.
So dont bash the Amish, but how is your area dealing?

Thank you for posting... I find this really interesting.. I hope that everything turns out well for everyone involved.

Here in the gulf coast of Alabama Gulf Shores is looking to reopen the beaches and restaurants with social distancing rules on May 1st. I live in a RV Resort about 15 miles North of Gulf Shores. As of right now Baldwin County has only 2 deaths and 101 cases. I expect Foley and Orange Beach to follow Gulf Shores, Fairhope, Spanish Fort and Daphne may have to wait a little longer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom