Cowboys had top 5 defense before injuries (1 Viewer)

jokerface

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The more I research Rob Ryan the more I like. The Dallas defense was top 5 at the beginning of the year and that was without getting any turnovers like the overated Bears. They lost 7 starters to injuries but still managed to finish 19th in overall defense. This article details the significance of those injuries to the backbone of the Dallas defense.
Five Healthy Starters Left On Cowboys Defense After 11 Games - Blogging The Boys

"After 11 games, that leaves five healthy starters on defense, as the following graphic illustrates:"

Attachments

• Cowboys_Defense_Injury_Status_large.jpg
    Cowboys_Defense_Injury_Status_large.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 43
Eventually he's going to have to coach a Saints defense with injured starters. You don't get points for coaching without your best players. You have to win with who you have.

Eventually he's going to have to coach a Saints defense with injured starters. You don't get points for coaching without your best players. You have to win with who you have.

I hear ya.. but they lost 7 starters...and still finished 14th in overall defense. How many starters did we lose for the year? I believe besides Hawthorne and Vilma no other starters missed significant time and we finished 32nd. Worst in NFL history. It also seems from reading the cowboys forums and comment sections they were not happy about Rob Ryan being fired. They said the Defense was playing well especially with all the injuries and it was Romo choking and Jason Garrett's poor game management that cost them games. One of my favorite quotes from a disgruntled cowboy fan...

"Nice going Jerry, the Saints got Sean Peyton and Rob Ryan from us, funny didn't they get Sproles and Brees from the Chargers? And people say Romo is the problem, how's about stupid GM moves like fireing a guy when his D which was missing half the starter came through in the clutch but the offense choked"
Y! SPORTS

Not a real fan of the guy, although I like him more than his brother, but the Dallas D was the only side of the team that made them even close to contenders.
If he does come here, I'll be pulling for him to make good and all, but I'd feel better if he could bring along Sean Lee :)

If the Saints would have finished 14th in D this year, we would have been in a hometown Superbowl.

outvoted said:
Not a real fan of the guy, although I like him more than his brother, but the Dallas D was the only side of the team that made them even close to contenders.
If he does come here, I'll be pulling for him to make good and all, but I'd feel better if he could bring along Sean Lee

u may like him better than rex but rex is the better coach

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

If the Saints would have finished 14th in D this year, we would have been in a hometown Superbowl.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I've been saying that to my coworkers all year long. With the offense that we have, all we need is an average defense. Sure, I'd like a top 5 defense, but it's not needed with the offense that we have. Look at our record with the worst defense. And then, our offense seemed off also. It's scary how good this team can be if the defense is just middle of the road. And also, one of my coworkers is a diehard Cowgirls fan. It would be nice to snag Ryan and then beat them next season. lol

You have to be fair in the criticism though. He did better than us, and we had most of our starters on the field. GW never coached with that many number 1s on the bench. Ryan has some things to prove, for sure, but he was fishing with a broken hook last year. Again, and still did better than what 13-14 teams?

The more I research Rob Ryan the more I like. The Dallas defense was top 5 at the beginning of the year and that was without getting any turnovers like the overated Bears. They lost 7 starters to injuries but still managed to finish 14th in overall defense. This article details the significance of those injuries to the backbone of the Dallas defense.

Well there ya go.

Let' not act like we have the same talent on D.

With 7 starters out for the year, I would say Saints talent level would be higher than the 7 backups they were playing with. I agree they have more talent if we are comparing starters but they were ranked 19th this year in total defense with 7 backups playing for them.

Sean Lee and ratliff were huge, but when you gut a D up the middle you have problems, injuries you have to prepare for , but some you can't. If we lost Drew Brees our offense would not be top 10 and I don't care who replaces him

I get what you are saying OP, but our ****** d forced 10 more turnovers than Dallas did last season. And we do not have a Claborine or Ware.

Don't even need that, just need to be solid on 3rd down, be in top 5 on redzone defense, force turnovers like in 2009.

Dallas Defense played well when the season started, then they had a run on injuries at Linebacker, DT and Corner...they had street free agents holding down the linebacker unit towards the second half of the season. Rob Ryan will bring that aggressive style the players on the Saints responded well to under GW and despite some fans wanted a fresh face at the position (which I agree with) it wont be a bad hire if Payton decides to go with Ryan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom