Cowboys make Garrett highest-paid assistant in NFL (1 Viewer)

They're probably going to adjust Coach Phillip's salary. Either that, or we'll be talking about HC Garrett of the Cowboys for the 2008 season.

This seems like it has the making of a huge Cowboys meltdown next season. Garrett's stock will never be higher than it is right now.

This seems like it has the making of a huge Cowboys meltdown next season. Garrett's stock will never be higher than it is right now.

I completely agree! Every year there are 1 or 2 hot names and inevitably they are no where to be found the next year. If he winds up Coaching the Cowboys in 08' then good move, if he does wind up being the OC in 08', then he is taking a huge risk.

It is impossible for his name to be any hotter than it is right now, to not take advantage of that shows some lack of business sense and decision making ability.

I don't understand why this is a "huge" risk for Garrett. He will be making head coach money but doesn't have all of the responsibilities of a head coach and won't be taking the same heat that he would as being a head coach.

Also weren't people saying the same thing about Sean Payton when he turned down the Raiders job? I think that worked out ok for him.

I don't know, Gary Kubiak's name seemed to come up frequently during several offseasons (wasn't he considered a front-runner for the Saints' job before Haslett was hired and hadn't he also taken himself out of the running on other HC openings?) before ultimately taking the Texans' job. I know there have been other assistant coaches whose names get tossed around for a while before they move up to a HC position.

I can't say that Garrett hurt his career by not taking a current HC opening. But since this all just amounts to speculation anyway, another point to consider might be moving up too soon. David Shula was once a rising star on the sidelines also who seems to have disappeared after becoming the youngest head coach (I think) in league history.

What might look like a bad decision to some might end up being a wise decision in the long run.

Very dumb on Jerry Jones' part to pay that much for a coordinator and even dumber on Garret's part.

NFL head coaching jobs do not come around often for any individual person. The best case scenerio now is he ends up the headcoach of the cowboys down the road with his hands tied by Jerry Jones. Ultimately he will fail and never get another HC job.

Jerry has no clue. So what does this say to Phillips knowing he now has Jerry hands on his rip cord? Garrett and Phillips may get along great but the dynamics of the situation cannot be good.

Phillips: "What do I have to do to keep a HC job. I coached the team to the best record in team history, go to the playoffs, and they are already talking about my replacement?"

Garrett: "Yea, you can't touch me. Go get me some coffee and then I'll let you warm my seat while Jerry and I go play golf. Don't get too comfortable though"

You know he has to be laughing with his wife behind closed doors. He doesn't have to do anything but let others talk themselves into stuffing money in his pockets. How cool is that?

Garretts stock is only going to skyrocket now. Rich people will overpay for anything they are told they cannot have. His name will come up for every HC job with the likes of Cower, and JJ and he has not done anything yet. I guess those Princeton business classes are really good for him to position himself like he has.

I agree, but he'd only last 2 season as HC trying to rebuild Atlanta or Baltimore.

i think he's peaked as well.

It's only speculation that Phillips wouldn't be happy with the way it worked out. Perhaps, though, he's elated to retain his OC and have some continuity going into next season? As the article noted, Phillips is 60 -- how much longer does he plan to go and is it conceivable this is a win-win for all involved? Assuming the Cowboys remain competitive, Phillips coaches a few more seasons and steps down when he's ready on his terms (how do we know that wasn't part of the discussions?) and Garrett sits back and gets paid like a HC, honing his skills and biding his time. If the team struggles, they pull the plug on Phillips and promote Garrett. The most notable risk is if the offense nosedives and the finger gets pointed at Garrett -- but that's the same risk any coach faces anywhere and I don't expect that will happen as much as I'd be thrilled if it did.

Alas, I was hoping Garrett would leave because I think it would have posed a challenge for the Cowboys. At the least, forcing them to hire a replacement and possibly experiencing some setbacks (mild or otherwise.)

When Garrett was hired on in Dallas, he was hired as the OC before Wade Phillips was brought on board. It was whispered that if Jerry didn't find a worthy HC, Garrett would be named HC for the 2007 season. In essence, Jerry Jones has had intentions all along of having JG as the HC at some point. So he's not letting go of his grip on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom