CPAC Minority outreach (1 Viewer)

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I have begun to realize just how far away we are from being over race.

What is really interesting, if your into the whole science thing. You know that we all came from Africans.

The only genetic superiority I know that any white person might have is lactose tolerance. Enjoy your milkshakes my fellow members of the white master race.

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
As a pretty tree-hugging liberal, I find this story hard to believe. Can someone find this anywhere else besides ThinkProgress?

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As a pretty tree-hugging liberal, I find this story hard to believe. Can someone find this anywhere else besides ThinkProgress?
Here's an article about it by Alexandra Petri at the Washington Post (I've only skimed it but below is quoted portion of that exchange):

How Not To Sound Racist: The most awkward CPAC panel ever

Posted by Alexandra Petri on March 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — No part of this story is a joke.

The tea-party sponsored a panel called “Trump The Race Card: Are You Sick And Tired Of Being Called A Racist When You Know You’re Not One?”

[...]

A man who identifies himself as Scott Terry of North Carolina says that he fears this is all at the expense of “young white southern males like myself.” He had been studying up on history and “I really came to love my people and my culture… I know that’s anathema… I feel like my demographic are being systematically disenfranchised. Why can’t we be more like Booker T. Washington Republicans? Unified like a hand but separate like the fingers.”

Did he just ask that? the girls next to me murmured.

Smith began to talk about how Frederick Douglass had forgiven his master of 20 years, and Terry spoke up, “For giving him shelter? For doing all those things?”

How Not To Sound Racist: The most awkward CPAC panel ever

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I have begun to realize just how far away we are from being over race.

What is really interesting, if your into the whole science thing. You know that we all came from Africans.

The only genetic superiority I know that any white person might have is lactose tolerance. Enjoy your milkshakes my fellow members of the white master race.
Just to add a religious context to your point. The Bible has Eden as being relatively near to Ethiopia, though not necessarily IN Africa as it mentions middle-eastern regions as well. Judging by location though it stands to reason that the Biblical first man wasn't "white" either.

That said, there's loons in every bunch and people have a right to ask their questions or state their views just as me and you have a right to disagree with them.

Take this op-ed published in the LA times for example:

Extremist 'patriots' imperil the United States - latimes.com

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
The ThinkProgress link has a video of the exchange. I particularly enjoyed the look on the face of the girl in the front row.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I just find it funny. It was one idiot who shocked everyone in the room with his ignorance. In no way do I think CPAC should be painted with that brush. It was clear they thought he was an idiot. A few years ago the exact same opinion was stated by an active member of this very board. Its a dumb view but one that is not at all surprising.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thank goodness it's just one idiot. Otherwise the Republican party would be in real trouble.

Oh, wait.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Thank goodness it's just one idiot. Otherwise the Republican party would be in real trouble.

Oh, wait.
Their great hero is a guy elected in part because of his racist "welfare queen" speech.

Then there's this:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/phillips-southern.pdf

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all know that strategy doesn't work anymore, as Bill O'Reilly so colorfully illustrated on election night:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bEelLKhMteY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Their plan of using racism to manipulate middle and lower class whites into supporting deregulation and regressive taxes may continue to work in some areas of the country, but hopefully it is over at the national level.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
As long as anyone looks at another to subconsciously define themselves. Their self image will be flawed.

Maybe it's just inherent that people like him exist in a world of otherness.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
My favorite part is the emphasis (and look around the room) he gives after he uses the word "anathema." It's almost like he's fishing for compliments over using a word with multiple syllables.

He's also BSing at the beginning when he talks about studying lit. It's such a transparent "smart people read, don't they? I'll let them know I read. That'll give me authority" move that it's sort of hilarious. Maybe he has Kipling's "White Man's Burden" framed above his bed.

And I say this as a white male to other white males: stop trying to play the whole "disenfranchised" card. No one is buying it and for damn good reason. The second you invoke it anything you say afterwards has zero credibility. None.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
You are correct there. I'm sure there are racists in all political parties. It just happens to be more pervasive in the GOP, especially in the south.
Especially the south yes.. remember not too long ago in the 60s, it was the Democrats filibustering the Civil Rights Act.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Especially the south yes.. remember not too long ago in the 60s, it was the Democrats filibustering the Civil Rights Act.
You're talking about Strom Thurmond, a segregationist who played a pretty big role in the branding of the modern GOP as the white party. He was a Republican Senator from 1964-2003.

He claimed the Democratic Party had become the "party of minority groups" when he left it.

The Southern Strategy was a result of the 60s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom