Craig Robertson had his most snaps on defense last week. Interesting since we had our best game as well. (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Coming into last game he only had 20 snaps on defense which shocked me when I discovered it. Against the Skins he had 13 snaps and we had our best game of the season. I wonder if him playing more had anything to do with it?

Statistically he’s been our best backer the last two years yet he’s getting outsnapped by Alex Anzalone almost 4 to 1. He currently only has 33 snaps while Anzalone has 123. So hopefully with the big increase in snaps this past week, we have seen a sign of things to come. There is no reason at all that Anzalone should be getting that many more snaps than him IMO. I don’t know why they refused to barely play him on D the first 4 games, but I sincerely hope that he starts to outsnap Anzalone going forward. Or at least get close to the same amount.

I don’t get how a player can be your best statistically for two years and then not see the field hardly at all the following year. I can see if he did something to deserve it, but I don’t recall anything of note. Please play him and if he fails then I’ll shut up. But until then I’m gonna keep screaming that he needs to be out there making plays cause he’s been the best at it the last two years lol. He lead the linebackers in snaps, tackles, and a few other stats the last 2 years for crying out loud. He’s had to have done something to tick off coach Payton or Allen. I mean a player doesn’t just get benched after having two pretty successful seasons in a row. WEIRD!!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/2018-snap-counts.htm

Last edited:
Coming into last game he only had 20 snaps on defense which shocked me when I discovered it. Against the Skins he had 13 snaps and we had our best game of the season. I wonder if him playing more had anything to do with it?

Statistically he’s been our best backer the last two years yet he’s getting outsnapped by Alex Anzalone almost 4 to 1. He currently only has 33 snaps while Anzalone has 123. So hopefully with the big increase in snaps this past week, we have seen a sign of things to come. There is no reason at all that Anzalone should be getting that many more snaps than him IMO. I don’t know why they refused to barely play him on D the first 4 games, but I sincerely hope that he starts to outsnap Anzalone going forward.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/2018-snap-counts.htm

I may be wrong but I think his detractors cite a lack of speed as why he should not be playing/starting.

Imo, he overcomes any physical limitations he has with his fire, and knack for making a play. The other defensive players feed off of his energy imo. He’s just a good football player.

Hes usually the guy making the tackle on special teams and the guy making the play when he's out there. I agree, he should be starting

Robertson is one of my favorite Saints and I want him to play as much as possible. But I'm also not going to second guess the coaches when they're in the middle of a winning streak and see these guys in practice all week long while I only see them on Sundays.

Do I want to see more of Robertson on defense? Yes.

Do I want the Saints to keep up their winning streak? Yes.

Which do I want more? Not even a question.

This is classic false equivalence. What is 20 snaps as a percentage of the total defensive snaps? Not a significant percentage, that's for sure

Seems like to me that the coaching staff are trying their hardest to get Anzalone to pan out and not be a bust. I don't get it, you have to put the best players on the field and Robertson has been our best LB the past couple years.

Stephone Anthony led the team in tackles one year. Should we have kept him?

This regime has no worries about cutting a high draft pick. They’ve done it before and will do it again. Anzalone is on the field because he is the better option in the coaches minds.

I remember a couple years ago everyone here was really high on a safety in preseason and a bunch of people were upset when he was let go. Yes he made some great splash plays but he was always out of position. Could be something similar with Robison. Maybe he makes so many tackles because he is running behind his assignment.

Seems like to me that the coaching staff are trying their hardest to get Anzalone to pan out and not be a bust. I don't get it, you have to put the best players on the field and Robertson has been our best LB the past couple years.

Anazalone has the physical tools. So it makes sense to try and coach him up a bit and see if it translates. Robertson might not have the physical gifts that Anzalone has, but he seems to possess an instinct for the position and an intensity that Anzalone does not seems to have at this point. It makes sense to get Robertson in on more snaps. Especially situational plays where his intensity is best suited.

I like Robertson. I always have. He's always doing something good when he's in.

LMAO.. Robertson is the reason that we had the best of the year because of his 20 plays out of the 60 magically won us the game.

How about you go watch those 20 plays and see how they use him. It becomes pretty clear what his role is. If anything... He deserve Teo's plays(Which if I recall correctly, it's what he got since Teo was out), but everyone here loves to overrate him. So, they are gonna pick on the one guy that they don't like. Klein shut you guys up after preaseson, but then you have one hope to birch about Anazlone.

You guys love for average old school linebackers that can't cover is nauseating.

I understand that they might not feel like he is an every down player, but I can't believe he wasn't even playing a role until recently.

He might not be the most athletic guy on the field, but he's no slouch either. His intelligence and passion for the game can not be denied. The guy plays hard and has done everything they've asked him to do since he got here.

I wonder if Teo comes back if we see less of Robinson again.

Robertson is one of my favorite Saints and I want him to play as much as possible. But I'm also not going to second guess the coaches when they're in the middle of a winning streak and see these guys in practice all week long while I only see them on Sundays.

Do I want to see more of Robertson on defense? Yes.

Do I want the Saints to keep up their winning streak? Yes.

Which do I want more? Not even a question.

Agreed Job. Good points.

I understand that they might not feel like he is an every down player, but I can't believe he wasn't even playing a role until recently.

He might not be the most athletic guy on the field, but he's no slouch either. His intelligence and passion for the game can not be denied. The guy plays hard and has done everything they've asked him to do since he got here.

I wonder if Teo comes back if we see less of Robinson again.
Robertson will likely have his snaps reduced when Te'o comes back since that's who he was filling in for, but he could also end up sliding into another player's grave if they get injured just like he did with Te'o. He's our primary backup at all three positions and special teams captain. I love him to death and the way he plays and he also seems to rally the team too - but he's playing the position(s) we brought him here to play when we brought him in from Cleveland. He'll end up with plenty snaps as the season goes on and linebackers get nicked up here and there.

Like I said earlier, as long as we keep winning and improving on defense in the process, I'm not questioning any of the coaches' decisions on personnel. Start to regress to week one's type of performance, it's on. Until then, why mess with what's working?

WHO DAT!

Robertson will likely have his snaps reduced when Te'o comes back since that's who he was filling in for, but he could also end up sliding into another player's grave if they get injured just like he did with Te'o. He's our primary backup at all three positions and special teams captain. I love him to death and the way he plays and he also seems to rally the team too - but he's playing the position(s) we brought him here to play when we brought him in from Cleveland. He'll end up with plenty snaps as the season goes on and linebackers get nicked up here and there.

Like I said earlier, as long as we keep winning and improving on defense in the process, I'm not questioning any of the coaches' decisions on personnel. Start to regress to week one's type of performance, it's on. Until then, why mess with what's working?

WHO DAT!

Good gravy who’s gonna die?
?
I don’t want him to have to slide into anyone’s grave.

And spot on, I’m very impressed with how the defense has been coming together as a unit. Grateful and proud of em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom