Votes: 9 15.5%
  • I like tacoes for Thanksgiving

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

TenTwo

local shortstop
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is upon us, and with it comes the annual tradition (at least in my house) of whether cranberry sauce is a must have side. I personally love it, canned or fresh. I mix it in with my dressing and I am in feast day heaven. Y'all got any strong opinions on this Thanksgiving treat?

Alright, I'll say it. I don't see the big deal about thanksgiving food. Turkey on it's best day is pretty meh, and in general most of the food is pretty gloppy. I do like oyster dressing, but most dressing is too bready. Most of the food is cooked for a bunch of people, so vegetables end up being over cooked, but even if not - vegetables. Cranberry sauce is fine, but I don't think it makes any of it better.

I mean for a holiday where a feast is a central part (and yeah, I get it, it's not the food it's the family - whatever), it has always been odd to me what traditionally ends up on the table.

I will add that the Food Network's Thanksgiving cooking challenge show does introduce some interesting takes on classic dishes, but they would be hard to scale for a group.

There, I'm done. Carry on.

Alright, I'll say it. I don't see the big deal about thanksgiving food. Turkey on it's best day is pretty meh, and in general most of the food is pretty gloppy. I do like oyster dressing, but most dressing is too bready. Most of the food is cooked for a bunch of people, so vegetables end up being over cooked, but even if not - vegetables. Cranberry sauce is fine, but I don't think it makes any of it better.

I mean for a holiday where a feast is a central part (and yeah, I get it, it's not the food it's the family - whatever), it has always been odd to me what traditionally ends up on the table.

I will add that the Food Network's Thanksgiving cooking challenge show does introduce some interesting takes on classic dishes, but they would be hard to scale for a group.

Thanks for ruining Thanksgiving.

I used to feel similar but my wife and I now host Thanksgiving for our family partly because I smoke a turkey. That really was a game changer along with us guiding the menu.

Back to the main topic. I always hated the canned cranberry "sauce" and never understood it. When my wife and I started dating we did a small thanksgiving at our house with her parents and she kept talking about cranberry sauce and I just kept rolling my eyes. Then she made it fresh and I have been hooked since.

I am not in any condition to do any major cooking this year, so I am getting most of my sides from Bergerons.

But turkey can be damned good if you are willing to put in the work. I make my own brine solution and then smoke it with pecan wood

Other than that, I love having the family around (I don't invite the ones I can't stand which happens to be most of them)

3 words
Tur.Duc.Ken

for me, it is the whole having to see other people thing.

bottle of jameson, aka irish liquid gold, mac 'n cheese, and black licorice.

all a fella needs to feel grateful.

I make mine homemade like my grandmother used to and it's awesome. Pretty much only my Mom and I eat it, but I still make it every year.

I don't like the kind in a can but don't mind homemade and could definitely leave it altogether. I'm with Buzd; I'm not a huge fan of Thanksgiving food. I do like my mom's dressing and my former step father made some killer cajun dressing. I also like pumpkin pie. Apart from that, I am not crazy about the rest of the food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom