Crawfish boiler (2 Viewers)

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be doing a mixed crawdad/crab boil this summer and I'm thinking of picking up this unit for the burner.

http://tiny.cc/56h42y

Anyone got any tips/tricks for a successful boil? It'll be my first one. Can you even get live mudbugs in late June?

Ha! You noticed.

I always figured anything but crayfish was fine.

I never really liked the defuser style burner (good for frying fish, shrimp etc.), I always went with the straight jet/ blow torch style. Just my thing.

I may have found my source. Seems it was/is illegal to ship Louisiana crawdads into Washington, but our local signal crawfish are tasty, large and available from May through the end of September.

https://www.crayfishathiseafoods.com

Seems the signals get pretty big:
crayfishintro.jpg

Ahhh my favorite topic!! Spring is right around the corner and I can't wait to do some crawfish!!
I would definitely go through the thread that buzd posted earlier. Good stuff in there.

I was going to recommend a burner for you beside the one you posted. The one you posted is often called a 'Banjo' burner. They put out a lot of heat but spread out more. I really have never used one but usually see them used for frying or sauteing. I haven't seen anyone boil on one but doesn't mean you can't do it. Says it has 210,000 BTU's which is pretty big.
I would recommend getting a jet burner for boiling. I have the Bayou Classic SP2 jet cooker. I have the link below. It is the same price as the one you posted but I feel puts out a lot of heat. Depending on your pot size it will get your water boiling in 10-15 minutes. It also gets your water back to boiling very fast after adding your food. I have had mine for several years and still going strong. they have a stainless steel version as well but it is twice the price, but will last longer.
1549900319632.png

Amazon product ASIN B001FTS32W
I also found this article which rates some burners on quality and such and found it interesting. Their top rated burner I have, also a Bayou Classic but just a regular burner which is good for many different types of cooking. It works for boils but will take twice as long as the jet burner. I have gone through two of them. They also have a high rated banjo cooker on there as well.
http://outdoormancave.com/best-propane-burner/

Now as far as actually cooking and prepping the bugs, look through that thread. All kinds of tips and tricks. I have a bunch but everyone kind of does things a little differnt.
Purge or not purge? Ice or no ice? Soak or no soak? etc/etc.
I can give you my step by step how I cook them but some people might tell you different. If you have never done it before definately look around and ask questions and get an idea of how you want to do it. Always have a game plan.

Give us an idea of what you plan to do and we can help. :cooking:
How much are you planning on cooking (in pounds)? How many people are you feeding?
Are you doing all the sides and extra fixings (corn, potatoes, sausage, etc.)?
What spices, if any, are you using?
What size pot are you using?
And most importantly, what are you going to drink with it?? :beerchug:

Let's us know buddy and we got your back!!

Ahhh my favorite topic!! Spring is right around the corner and I can't wait to do some crawfish!!
I would definitely go through the thread that buzd posted earlier. Good stuff in there.

I was going to recommend a burner for you beside the one you posted. The one you posted is often called a 'Banjo' burner. They put out a lot of heat but spread out more. I really have never used one but usually see them used for frying or sauteing. I haven't seen anyone boil on one but doesn't mean you can't do it. Says it has 210,000 BTU's which is pretty big.
I would recommend getting a jet burner for boiling. I have the Bayou Classic SP2 jet cooker. I have the link below. It is the same price as the one you posted but I feel puts out a lot of heat. Depending on your pot size it will get your water boiling in 10-15 minutes. It also gets your water back to boiling very fast after adding your food. I have had mine for several years and still going strong. they have a stainless steel version as well but it is twice the price, but will last longer.
1549900319632.png

Amazon product ASIN B001FTS32W
I also found this article which rates some burners on quality and such and found it interesting. Their top rated burner I have, also a Bayou Classic but just a regular burner which is good for many different types of cooking. It works for boils but will take twice as long as the jet burner. I have gone through two of them. They also have a high rated banjo cooker on there as well.
http://outdoormancave.com/best-propane-burner/

Now as far as actually cooking and prepping the bugs, look through that thread. All kinds of tips and tricks. I have a bunch but everyone kind of does things a little differnt.
Purge or not purge? Ice or no ice? Soak or no soak? etc/etc.
I can give you my step by step how I cook them but some people might tell you different. If you have never done it before definately look around and ask questions and get an idea of how you want to do it. Always have a game plan.

Give us an idea of what you plan to do and we can help. :cooking:
How much are you planning on cooking (in pounds)? How many people are you feeding?
Are you doing all the sides and extra fixings (corn, potatoes, sausage, etc.)?
What spices, if any, are you using?
What size pot are you using?
And most importantly, what are you going to drink with it?? :beerchug:

Let's us know buddy and we got your back!!

i have that exact burner.

PRO TIP- do NOT boil on asphalt.

That burner would take forever to bring a pot to a boil...

Anybody have experience converting a regular burner to a jet burner? I needed to replace my old one last year and someone bought me one and I'd rather make it interchangable than just go out and buy another and have two. This is the type of burner I have now:
AL10_615c9378-6d67-417b-bfab-b7403a0c3b81_large.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom