Which would you rather?

• 10 pounds of perfectly cooked, spicy boiled LA crawfish

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • A perfectly steamed 2-pound fresh Maine lobster

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Tacoes (you weirdo)

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
Lobster if I'm by myself. If I'm hanging out with friends and a lot of ice cold beer, give me crawfish everyday.

I've had some of the best lobster Maine has to offer as well as the best lobster rolls in Boston.

Give me crawfish. Unless I have to choose between Royal Reds, then it gets tough. Unless scallops are also an offer, then it gets easy again.

Lobster. My second favorite food behind only steak, and I typically get both at any good restaurant.

Crawfish all day. Maine lobster has no flavor. I never understood why it is so expensive.

Crawfish all day. Maine lobster has no flavor. I never understood why it is so expensive.
it used to be trash food (literally)
it got marketed very well and it's also very difficult to farm

Was Lobster Always Expensive?
In the present time, lobster is famous for being expensive. However, it is amusing to note that there was a time when this wasn’t even close to being the case. In short, lobsters were once so common that European colonists could find them washed up on the beach in huge piles that measured two feet high. As a result, said individuals regarded lobster in a very poor light, so much so that it was considered the kind of food that one would feed to prisoners, servants, and other people with low social standing. In fact, it was so bad that having lobster shells about a home was seen as a sign of shame because it suggested that the inhabitants of the home were so poor that they were forced to subsist on an unfamiliar and unpleasant bottom crawler that fed on who knows what.
Over time, this changed because of canned lobster. To be exact, what happened was that the rail companies started feeding canned lobster to people from the inland who weren’t aware of its reputation with people on the East Coast. As it turned out, said individuals loved the taste of the canned lobsters, with the result that when they clamored for the fresh stuff when they visited the East Coast. On top of this, lobster received a further boost from the Second World War because it wasn’t rationed in those times, which is how a wide range of people from a wide range of backgrounds became introduced to its tastiness. Something that put lobster on the path to becoming the higher-prestige food that it is in the present time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom