Crawfish prices! Will the prices ever drop? (1 Viewer)

With lent being so late, the wholesalers and stores know they can artificially inflate the prices until after Easter (a form of price fixing).

I think the government should step in and regulate crawfish pricing. Maybe it should take control of the industry entirely and then distribute the crawfish evenly. We can have state boil stations where we bring our own trays and wait in line. Those of means can bribe state officials for larger bugs while those without will have to eat the dead ones.

Place in Zachary has a special every Wednesday... $4/lb.

Traffic is a birch doing this time because they operate a drive-thru window.:rant:?

With lent being so late, the wholesalers and stores know they can artificially inflate the prices until after Easter (a form of price fixing).
The guy we get ours from for Good Friday told us last year this is what they do. He said the Monday after they are practically begging them to buy the crawfish because they are sitting on so much they didnt sell before Easter to distributors like him.

Amazing every year crawfish prices drop the day after Easter isn't it?

Last edited:
The answer is supply and demand. Late 80's early 90's I bought them for 39 cents a lb live and boiled my own. I can't remember the
exact year, but the price went to 2.99 a Lb. live the following year. I asked the owner of the place I bought them from why. His exact
words were " Yankees have discovered our southern secret "

I have friends that are crawfish farmers. They don't make squat! It is barely worth it to them. The middle men and retailers make the real profits.
One of them put it to me like this... "If live crawfish costs you $4/lb at the Seafood store, I am getting $1 of that, if I am lucky".

I suggested to him that crawfish farmers should come together and start a CO-OP of sorts, perhaps put togther chains of storefronts, and sell them collectively directly to the consumer... and/or... Make deals with the restaurants directly for prices 10-20% less than the Seafood houses are selling crawfish to them. There were some licensing issues that he mentioned, but I am sure that could be overcome. This was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. However, I was surprised that something like that wasn't already in place. As it was, according to them the seafood houses controlled the price, and even quota.

I have friends that are crawfish farmers. They don't make squat! It is barely worth it to them. The middle men and retailers make the real profits.
One of them put it to me like this... "If live crawfish costs you $4/lb at the Seafood store, I am getting $1 of that, if I am lucky".

I suggested to him that crawfish farmers should come together and start a CO-OP of sorts, perhaps put togther chains of storefronts, and sell them collectively directly to the consumer... and/or... Make deals with the restaurants directly for prices 10-20% less than the Seafood houses are selling crawfish to them. There were some licensing issues that he mentioned, but I am sure that could be overcome. This was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. However, I was surprised that something like that wasn't already in place. As it was, according to them the seafood houses controlled the price, and even quota.
I wonder why they do not have places (like the fisherman's market) where they sell directly to the consumer and bypass the middleman. Seems like they could find a better way to make a lot more for their work.

Good news. Winn Dixie has them for $2.79 per pound this weekend. Not sure if they are from Louisiana or China.

I have a co-worker who owns a crawfish farm and he says the same thing. Complains all the time about how little he makes from it after all the work he does. From the way he talks, I'm not sure why he does it.

Good news. Winn Dixie has them for $2.79 per pound this weekend. Not sure if they are from Louisiana or China.
According to the email I received from Winn-Dixie the $2.79 per pound price is for live crawfish. I hope that's a typo in the email since I can get boiled for $2.99 per pound , therefore $2.79 for live wouldn't be a good deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom