Crawl Space moisture (1 Viewer)

BuffaloSaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I just bought a 120 year old house. Inspector suggested vapor barrier. Looking into it encapsulation companies say bad idea. Anyone got an opinion? Savannah and NOLA pretty similar weather wise. Thanks.

I have the same issue with a slightly younger home. I've had a contractor tell me not to do it. He said that moisture can form on top of the vapor barrier and this will allow the soil to stay moist and potentially provide a water source for pests. He said that if the soil under your house tends to stay dry or dry quickly then that is what you want.

The moisture to be concerned about under a home shouldn't be the ground moisture necessarily but the condensation that occurs on the foundation members themselves. During the hotter months we have our a/c's keeping the house cool and condensation forms under the subfloor in the warmer air under the home. If adequate ventilation is not present then this condensation sits on the wood and causes rot/fungus or mold growth. If the crawl space isn't constricted then just make sure you have plenty of unobstructed vent holes around the home (if the house sits on a brick chain wall). If the perimeter of the home is open then just make sure you don't have built up flower beds too close to the home to prevent air passage. Fans, intake and exhaust, can be used when crawl space conditions aren't ideal.

I am in Va and I have sand and vapor barrier down. I also have put new vents in around my house that automatically open and close based on the temp. You can get them at Home Depot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom