Crazy question...or is it possible? (1 Viewer)

Teachersaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If the college season was to be cancelled, and let’s say a team drafted a player In April who was going to eligible after next season, would they have his draft rights? Larry Birdish situation?...

The draft will be over before the next college season

if the season is canceled and a player is eligible for the draft or staying in college it would be like any other year as the player would declare after the season played or not

It's not possible for a few reasons. First, as previously stated, you can only draft player declared for the draft. Also, once a football player declares he can't play college football (NCAA)--although this might actually be the result of hiring an agent. Anyway, a player must be out of High School for 3 years before they are draft eligible.

I think it will be more interesting if heaven forbid that the NFL season is cancelled. Then the following year NFL teams will have new rookies and rookies who have had 1 year to learn the playbook and prepare for the NFL.

It's not possible for a few reasons. First, as previously stated, you can only draft player declared for the draft. Also, once a football player declares he can't play college football (NCAA)--although this might actually be the result of hiring an agent. Anyway, a player must be out of High School for 3 years before they are draft eligible.
Different question here really - I can't remember where I read this, but I thought NFL was considering allowing a player to return to college for another year if they declared and then went undrafted? (or something to that affect)

I think it will be more interesting if heaven forbid that the NFL season is cancelled. Then the following year NFL teams will have new rookies and rookies who have had 1 year to learn the playbook and prepare for the NFL.

Here's a bigger question. Say the 2020 season is cancelled. What happens with the 2021 draft? Within that question, there are lots of other questions. Will the NCAA grant 2020 seniors an extra year? Who will take it? What about underclassmen? How much does having one whole year less to scout every player affect player rankings and scouting? How do we determine the draft order? Keep it the same as this year, do a lottery, sell the picks, come up with some kind of decade-long average to determine a new order?

Different question here really - I can't remember where I read this, but I thought NFL was considering allowing a player to return to college for another year if they declared and then went undrafted?

That's not a NFL rule. They don't care. it's a NCAA rule. I know once a player hires an agent he isn't allowed back into college. It may also be that once you declare the NCAA says no more.

Here's a bigger question. Say the 2020 season is cancelled. What happens with the 2021 draft? Within that question, there are lots of other questions. Will the NCAA grant 2020 seniors an extra year? Who will take it? What about underclassmen? How much does having one whole year less to scout every player affect player rankings and scouting? How do we determine the draft order? Keep it the same as this year, do a lottery, sell the picks, come up with some kind of decade-long average to determine a new order?
I think it should be like fantasy football. Draft in the opposite order so it's a snake draft.

This isn't an answer to your question, but something I thought of. In regards to cancelled seasons, there have been players who have had mediocre/underwhelming college careers overall, but had excellent senior seasons and went on to play in the NFL. Makes you wonder if there will be any football careers lost because of this happening. That would be tough.

Right.

If they cancel 2020, now colleges have 25-30 incoming freshman, to add to an already full roster assuming they grant upcoming seniors another year, which they really have to because they didn’t play.

And how would they establish the NFL draft order?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom