Crazy thought. Hear me out (1 Viewer)

snake pliskin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I've been thinking and getting creative. Been thinking about Kamara's usage, durability, skill level, etc... Saints needs. What if the Saints move Kamara to more of a slot receiver role...D.J. Moore, Deebo Samuel type, and then draft a Johnathan Taylor as lead back. Murray the closer Can use Kamara sparingly in the RB role. No snarky remarks please. Just opening up a conversation, with level-headed thoughts.

ok..ok...to your question...I think you want Kamara to remain a running back..with...the option of being able to slide him out from time to time. I think thats what makes him so useful and dangerous. I have to believe the FO knows they need to get some help for MT on the opposite side, and they will take care of that in the draft this year. Kamara had a rough go of it during the middle part of the season but came back nicely at the end. I think he was still bothered by the injury bug. The other thing was our O-Line was not as nasty as it was in the past. I think that also hurt AK. I truly believe they will upgrade the guard position in place of Peat.....Now...how was my civil discourse..jeez that was hard...

I'm proposing Kamara as mostly slot, dash of RB use. He clearly couldn't take the RB load. Taylor would provide a home run hitting, lead back to anchor a Bress-led, more managed offense. Deep WR class. Still draft one...And you couldn't resist the boogler flick at the end....but ok. Appreciate the post.

That would work as well.
I thought this team was much more effective when Teddy was in there and we were forced to play total team football. Having a true stud RB would give use that balance. And it wouldn't diminish Kamara at all. I think it would make him more dangerous.

I do want to see Kamara's passing game usage, and snaps in the slot or out wide increase next season.

But please don't tell me you would use the 24th overall pick on Jonathan Taylor for the Saints? Taking Running Backs early in the Draft just doesn't seem like a wise move. Both Super Bowl teams this year had Undrafted running backs as their featured backs.

Taylor is an impressive athlete, but measurables aren't the end all be all for the RB position. Vision, understanding of Pass protection, and receiving skills are much more important in a Sean Payton offense from the Runningback position than breakaway 4.39 long speed which only shows when you have perfect blocking and make it into the open field.

Taylor already has a TON of wear and tear from being over-used in college. 926 carries in 3 seasons before even taking a snap in the NFL.. and he fumbled 18 times...(15 lost) If there's one thing that Payton hates in his RBs.. it's fumbling issues.. he benched Ingram for fumbling early in his career.

Using a 1st round pick on Taylor for the Saints just doesn't make sense to me.. and we don't have a 2nd round pick... if you want a 3rd complimentary back you can find good ones much later with better versatility and less mileage... Eno Benjamin, Antonio Gibson, Josh Kelley can be had in the 4th rounds or later and are a much better scheme fit for the Saints.

If you're the Tennessee Titans and you lose Derrick Henry? Yeah sure I could see them using a First rounder on Taylor. Or even the Dolphins who have 3 first rounders and no legit RB on the roster currently.. but the Saints already have 2 proven, starting caliber Running backs on the roster; to spend an early pick on a RB.. we'd be the laughing stock of the league.

I think we learned Kamara is best used in doses, not as a bell cow. Murray is what, 30? I think RB is a bigger need than we realize, especially in the 40-plus Brees era.

If there's one thing we do well, it's find amazing gems in undrafted free agent RBs. So many other positions should be upgraded before RB. Now, if Alvin for some reason was switched to WR, then maybe, but still not early in the draft.

If there's one thing we do well, it's find amazing gems in undrafted free agent RBs. So many other positions should be upgraded before RB. Now, if Alvin for some reason was switched to WR, then maybe, but still not early in the draft.
Point well taken. Keep thinking about when we had Ricky and drafted Deuce. Seemed nuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom