Cromartie @ 10 or is that a reach? (2 Viewers)

there is no way this happens. he will not be the best player available at number 10. and personally, i feel that we dont have two or three years to let more players develop. we are talented now, and need to win now. i dont care if its a corner or a backer, but we need an impact player now. esp. if you take into consideration who we drafted in the first round last year.

Well, it's all about risk. There is no way to know who (if anyone) can instantly start for us and improve our team in the first year. Even if we had this information, we would not make a decision based soley on this, because that's not how you build a winning team over time. Would you rather a mediocre starter or a guy who could be an elite shutdown corner in 3-4 years? It's a gamble, but it's the kind of thing you have to do through the draft, because you basically cannot expect to buy these kind of players in free agency anymore.

ManningAndCromartie-1.jpg

:smilielol:

Well, it's all about risk. There is no way to know who (if anyone) can instantly start for us and improve our team in the first year. Even if we had this information, we would not make a decision based soley on this, because that's not how you build a winning team over time. Would you rather a mediocre starter or a guy who could be an elite shutdown corner in 3-4 years? It's a gamble, but it's the kind of thing you have to do through the draft, because you basically cannot expect to buy these kind of players in free agency anymore.

I'll take the mediocre starter please. If we had a few more average caliber starters on D we'd be in the playoff chase. The NFC won't always be this bad and this next couple years is our window to win. In 4 years we won't necessarily have a lot of the offensive firepower now in our pockets... We need guys who can help us win now, we are not building for the future anymore. We signed the big time QB drafted the playmaking RB and got lucky and found #1 WR in rd 7. We've got these guys now, let's try and win with them now before injuries and free agency change our team.

I am a big DRC fan, but Mike Jenkins was the highest rated at the first of the year, and his 40 was good, I would have to look at film to decide, but I don't like Mckelvins hands. I also like the porter kid. and talib. real good class and we get pick of the litter.

Two words.... Senior Bowl.

Here's another two words: Devery Henderson

Henderson lit up the North's secondary in the Senior Bowl, leaping his draft stock from a late first day selction to the top of the 2nd round... problem was, all the things that plagued him in college have resurfaced in the pros.

DRC played at a division II school -so that body of work MUST be considered over how he played in one game against division I players.

I'm not saying he's not any good.. he could very well be the next coming of Deion Sanders. But keep in mind, Usama Young came from Kent State and wasn't invited to the combine... he has size and speed, but he struggled against NFL receivers. I just don't see how one game and gaudy workout numbers translate into the tenth best player in the draft.

Henderson lit up the North's secondary in the Senior Bowl, leaping his draft stock from a late first day selction to the top of the 2nd round... problem was, all the things that plagued him in college have resurfaced in the pros.

DRC played at a division II school -so that body of work MUST be considered over how he played in one game against division I players.

I'm not saying he's not any good.. he could very well be the next coming of Deion Sanders. But keep in mind, Usama Young came from Kent State and wasn't invited to the combine... he has size and speed, but he struggled against NFL receivers. I just don't see how one game and gaudy workout numbers translate into the tenth best player in the draft.

But DRC WAS invited to the Combine. So what does Usama have to do with it? DRC dominated in D1AA, dominated the Senior Bowl, and dominated the Combine (was top 3 in most every drill that matters for a CB - 60-yard shuttle, the 40, 3-cone drill, broad jump, and vertical jump). He's done everything he possibly can to prove his worth. Usama isn't a good comparison at all since he was a good CB in college, but never did what DRC has done. If the NFL was limited to just D1A players, a ton of talented guys would've been left out. Pro Bowl CB Rashean Mathis wouldn't have a job. Neither would Colston or Jahri. Let's not treat D1AA like it's D3.

QUOTE]

The problem with that statement is that Devery was always a speed guy, not noted for his hands. Devery didn't have an outstanding well rounded skill set. DRC does. He has height, body build (long arms and legs), speed, agility, quickness, playmaking skills and work ethic.
Would we like to get a starter in the first round, someone who can contribute right away?
Definately.
Can DRC do that?
Look at our current corners and safetys and tell me absolutely that he couldn't contribute.
Might he take a season or two to develop?
Probably, but I think he'll be worth it in the long run.

Its a huge reach.

i'll take it one step further, who are the top receivers in this draft... yeah Jrs. there was no one to cover in the sr. bowl... and the top QB's??? yeah not to many of them either. Its a weak class to base anything on. He was covering average WR's with average QB's throing to him. He may be great and he may stink. Problem is NONE of us know, and you can't base anything on performance because none of us have seen that either, try and find a game he played in other than the Sr. Bowl.

I am taking Jenkins, Mckelvin, or Talib over him just because I have more to go on and they didn't disapoint IMO. Cromartie is a wild card, he is not a fix all end all. If our team backs him and takes him at 10 (he WILL be there, I guarentee it) I will support him because I see the upside and I really like the kid, I think he could be a star. Problem is what do we really know we have nothing to base it on.

Comparisons to his cousin are so off IMO. his cousin was the best corner in NCAA before his injury and was highly recruited by just about EVERYONE and chose FSU. He had a horrifc injury and teams shyed because of the injury. He was known as one of the best in the nation pre-injury. His cousion was off of at least 117 teams radars that I know of. If its Cromartie at 10, I will support because I think we need a corner, I will trust my coaching staff on the one they think is best for thier system that I know limited amounts about. But lets try and embrace them all because any one could be a saint in about a month and this pre draft stuff is what guets us hating our own players. Oh I wanted Mario Williams or Vince Young, I hate Reggie Bush or Drew Brees. Lets just be happy with whoever we get with high hopes.

P.S. I think we get Sedrick Ellis or Glen Dorsey. But i'll settle for Long, Clady, other Long Gholston, Cromartie, Rivers Jenkins, Mckelvin, Lofton, Mayo, Cason or Talib. Who ever our coaches decde can help us the most. Only way I am upset is if we pick any skill positon on the offesne. No QB/RB/FB/WR/TE, anything else i would accept, thou I hope wouldn't go interior O line with a 10 pick.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom