Cromartie @ 10 or is that a reach? (2 Viewers)

I'm a huge fan of this kid, but looking at several mock drafts I can't find him in the top 15 in many mock drafts. I believe that has alot to do with the "quiet love" for this kid, but McKlevin is dominating the experts boards. Kiper has DRC @ 19th overall rated player.

After looking about 15 post combine mock drafts I find him in the top 10 once, most often in the 20-30 range. I wouldn't be upset about drafting this guy, but is the smart money picking him @ 10, or shopping really heavily on trading back and landing DRC along with a linebacker like Mayo or Lofton.

Dream Scenario:

McFadden falls to #10 (Dallas can't take it anymore and calls us up)
We get Dallas 2 first rounders and land:

1a - DRC
1b - Mayo
2 - Laws

Then when round 3 comes around call Philly to see if Lito is available. Give them the #3 this year.

While I seriously doubt DRC will be available at 22 - or wherever, if your dream scenario plays out, I would die (of happiness).

I just remember watching the combine, and they were doing the drill where they back pedal, then move forward, back pedal again, then move forward and catch the ball. I saw the people before DRC and thought it was cool to see this stuff. DRC comes up and I immediately saw his back pedal and burst forward and knew I'd never seen anything like it. He was so fluid and fast, almost looked effortless. You cannot teach that type of athleticism.

I wish I could have seen that :( Is it available online somewhere? I searched the NFL's Combine website, but it was nowhere to be found. By me.

In Kiper's latest mock, he has him going #7 to the Pats. He's starting to make that move up on team's boards

If you watch NFL Network much (I know some people don't have it), they reshow bits of the combine all the time. You just have to keep your eyes open for the Defensive Back portion of drills.

I saw it too. And when DRC did his backpedal Deion and whoever else was doing the broadcast were like "Oh snap!" in mid conversation cuz his feet were moving so fast on the break. DRC has amazing closing speed and they attribute this to the way he makes choppy steps with his feet when changing direction. They talked about how some players prefer to just plant with one foot and some players like to keep their feet moving when making a break out of a backpedal (like Deion did). It has to do how you were coached or taught to do it early on...

While I think DRC is a "reach" at #10, I also think he is the best reach at #10. I'd love for McFadden to fall to #10 and happily take Jerry's 2 first rounders for him, but I'm not putting on those rose colored glasses. It's just too unlikely. If we're "stuck" having to pick at #10 with Dorsey and Ellis long gone, I think DRC is our best option. Clady is the player who would not be a reach at that point, but I personally would rather take the "reach" and fill our pressing need.

wow love that draft, DRC, Mayo, Laws, but It won't be Mckelvin he is too much like fred thomas

I keep seeing Baltimore connected w/ drafting a CB, but that doesn't make sense to me. I guess at that spot, CB probably would be up on their BPA list, but their offense is so mediocre, I think that's where they'd want to pick up talent. Ogden has been talking about retiring for a couple years now (if he hasn't and I missed it), maybe that'd be a position they'd look to.

Not much difference between player 10 and player 20 in this years draft. If we like him at 10, he's no more of a reach than any other player in the top 20.

Somebody needs to archive this thread and pull it back out in three years...

Mike Mamula was a workout stud who blew away scouts at the combine, went in the 1st round, and then the Eagles found out he couldn't play football.

DRC went to a Division II school -which in of itself isn't a bad thing, we have two players starting for us right now.. and people would argue that Marques Colston should have been a 1st round pick based on what he has done in the pros, but he went in the 7th.

Hype and workout numbers gets people excited, but has little (if any bearing) on how good a football player someone is... that's what tape is for -and even then you still end up with the Ryan Leafs, Jonathan Sullivans and so on -and no one will come back on this board and announce that they still stand by those guys as the best players at their position in the draft -yet someone had these guys ranked that high.

I'm not saying DRC is a bust waiting to happen... but at this point, he could be the next Deion Sanders or he could be the next Alex Molden.

I don't think he's the 10th best player in the draft at this point... but keep in mind, I haven't broken down a single piece of coaches film, nor have I talked to a single scout, or interviewed a single coach. I watched some of the combine, some clips on You Tube, and read a few write-ups about him.

Hardly in a position to determine whether he is a reach or not... but at this point, I'd say he's a reach to go in the top 10.

oh yea...
antonio%20cromartie%20pick%20ap%20chris%20park.jpg

:hihi:

That is just sick!!!!!!!

Hype and workout numbers gets people excited, but has little (if any bearing) on how good a football player someone is... I'd say he's a reach to go in the top 10.

Two words.... Senior Bowl.

My cousin is Jake Delhomme....I can throw a football maybe 50 yards.

Theory disproven.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

If the DTs are gone and we can't move down - DRC would be fine by me. See Guillermo's explanation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom