guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How far do you let it go?

we all know the scenario:
you on cruise control in right hand lane
You are approaching a slightly slower moving car
In your rear view you see a car in the left going slightly faster than you...

what’s your play?

Unless the approaching car is going significantly faster, I speed up, go around the slower car, and then get back over. I would consider this to be a display of average intelligence.

Unless the approaching car is going significantly faster, I speed up, go around the slower car, and then get back over. I would consider this to be a display of average intelligence.
That’s good but I think we can do better
Anyone of above average intelligence want to weigh in?😜

Depends on how fast the car in the left is going.

1) Really fast: I just wait until he passes even if it requires canceling cruise and RES once he passes me and then I complete my pass.

2) Not that much faster than me and not fast enough to reach me before I reach the car in front of me: I get over, pass, and get back as soon as I can without interrupting my cruise. Sometimes I feel bad if there ends up being a line of cars to pass instead of just one.

3) Middle of the road fast, enough faster than me to be closing ground quickly, but not fast enough to fly past me. This is the tricky one that requires quick analysis. Can I get over and back without him having to break hard? Is there a line of cars in front of the car I'm passing or a line of cars behind the car that's approaching? I feel like I generally get over, accelerate over my cruise, and then get back over and drop back down again.

Adaptive cruise control FTW.

I hate my adaptive cruise control. Lately it broke and it doesn't see normal size cars in front of me, which is great because I've been trying to figure out how to turn it off anyway.

Try to time the lane change so that it occurs right as the car behind you is about to catch up. Set cruise control to make sure you pass the car in the right lane as slow as cruise control will allow. Allow car behind to swerve into right lane to pass before getting back into the right lane.

Required intelligence to pull maneuver: above average.

How far do you let it go?

we all know the scenario:
you on cruise control in right hand lane
You are approaching a slightly slower moving car
In your rear view you see a car in the left going slightly faster than you...

what’s your play?

I see you have really settled into the commute to and from the North Shore. Your day is now consumed with thoughts of how to better navigate the Causeway.

2) Not that much faster than me and not fast enough to reach me before I reach the car in front of me: I get over, pass, and get back as soon as I can without interrupting my cruise.

Unfortunately, this is where you find out that the car you are attempting to pass is not capable of using the cruise control and speeds up as you are passing. It then becomes a battle of wills to see how fast you are willing to go or ducking back behind them so they can once again slow down.

Unfortunately, this is where you find out that the car you are attempting to pass is not capable of using the cruise control and speeds up as you are passing. It then becomes a battle of wills to see how fast you are willing to go or ducking back behind them so they can once again slow down.
Yes, dirtbag wildcard
Always part of equation

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom