Crumpler not going to Carolina. Wants 4 mil a year (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to find the specifics on what we paid Johnson and what we will pay him if we don't cut him this year. I wanta say its around 3 million a year.

I'm pretty sure Eric Johnson was signed for only 1 year for $1 million.

I'm pretty sure Eric Johnson was signed for only 1 year for $1 million.

I found it.

http://www.*********************.com/030707ericjohnson.html

1 year 2 million dollars. Surprising. I thougth for sure we had signed him to a 2 year deal.

Edit: Have no idea why the link is doing that...but just trust me I guess. My guess is it will cost a little more to retain him, plus you've gotta pay Miller a little more then he made last year after stepping up. I didn't realize all our TEs were FA's. Guess we've got some moves to make.

Last edited:
Well we paid JD 4 million a year...what did we pay EJ this year?
This is a very good point. Crumpler would be an upgrade to the TE's we have. But I have a sneaky feeling we might draft one (after losing out last year)

This is a very good point. Crumpler would be an upgrade to the TE's we have. But I have a sneaky feeling we might draft one (after losing out last year)

Who did we lose out on last year? The FO passed on Olsen.....And, the Arizona State TE was gone by our second pick......IMO, the FO thought Johnson was THE guy.

I do think we'll draft a TE this year though......we have to, don't we?

Top 10 TEs

1. Antonio Gates
2. Tony Gonzales
3. Jason Witten
4. Kellen Winslow
5. Dallas Clark
6. Chris Cooley
7. Jeremy Shockey
8. Vernon Davis
9. Alge Crumpler
10. Ben Watson

He is definitely a top 10 TE, but his play seems to be declining.

No Tod Heap??????

I'd put ben watson higher just because he ran down Champ bailey runing the full length of the field

We have cap money... sign him already dammit! :mad:

The guy would be money in our system... he'd occupy the middle while our WRs work the edges... and he blocks... what exactly are they waiting for?

We have cap money... sign him already dammit! :mad:

The guy would be money in our system... he'd occupy the middle while our WRs work the edges... and he blocks... what exactly are they waiting for?

Christmas apparently. Saints want gifts, they want great talent at a bargain price, when it hasn't worked like that since, forever.

All I will say is that Crumpler is a very good blocker and catches the ball better than Johnson. I would pay 4 million a year for an offensive lineman who was athletic enough to get open and catch the ball and break tackles, especially if he made 5 probowls and isnt in the twilight of his career.

o well

hopefully we'll draft a TE

lots of great prospects in the later rounds

What is it that makes us think this idiot is so much better than what we have?

EJ went 48 for 378 hurt and Billy Miller went 27 for 328.

Crumpler's 42 for 444 isn't all that impressive to me.

How is Crumpler any kind of upgrade considering he's more expensive than the 2 guys we had last year that had 90 catches for 926 yds?

I found it.

http://www.*********************.com/030707ericjohnson.html

1 year 2 million dollars. Surprising. I thougth for sure we had signed him to a 2 year deal.

Edit: Have no idea why the link is doing that...but just trust me I guess. My guess is it will cost a little more to retain him, plus you've gotta pay Miller a little more then he made last year after stepping up. I didn't realize all our TEs were FA's. Guess we've got some moves to make.

you see, Jonson was 2 million a year. With Crumpler, we would have twice the tight end for twice the price, but we wouldn't need to keep around the 10 backup tight ends who can't make any other team, becuase Johnson has health issues, doesn't catch everything, and doesn't play every play a TE is on the field.

How is Crumpler any kind of upgrade considering he's more expensive than the 2 guys we had last year that had 90 catches for 926 yds?

Don't you think there's a huge difference in having Drew Brees throw the ball to you as opposed to Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman?

Crumpler had Leftwich, Harrington, and Redman as his QBs, not Drew Brees. I like to think Drew is better than all 3 combined. He's also a much better blocker than both Johnson and Miller combined. And with the numbers you provided, he's instantly an upgrade over Johnson on receiving alone, not even factoring in blocking or the fact Johnson caused 2 INTs by bouncing them into a defender's hands. And just why is he an idiot?

Because Crumpler only played 10 games last year. He had an ankle injury that sidelined him. The year before that he put up 800 yards with MV throwing him the ball. He is a real deal top recieving TE and a great blocker to boot. Hes what you call a complete TE. They are rare, and I hope we sign him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom