Crying Georgia not in Sugar Bowl if One plus playoffs (1 Viewer)

YoYo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Let see if it was a true plus 1 LSU would have played in the Sugar bowl against Hawaii and it would have been USC against Ohio and then it would have been LSU against Ohio/USC in the plus one. Georgia would have played in maybe in the GMAC Bowl or some other Bowl game no one talks about with Illinois or Kansas after all they were a Third place team in the SEC.

A true plus one doesn't work that way. A true plus one would have the winner of the now NCG play the now 2nd ranked team, which is Georgia.

What your speaking of is a 4 team playoff complete with seeding.

No, a "true plus one" pairs the top two teams following the bowls. Under this system, USC or UGA would have played LSU for the natoinal title.

A "seeded plus one," like a four team playoff, seeds the top four teams and lets them play in a playoff.

Your saying that UGA wouldn't play in such a playoff presupposes that the existence of a seeded plus one system wouldn't have affected the voting in the final polls. It was widely discussed among the media that many people (including Harris Poll voters and probably some coaches) had "eliminated" UGA from title contention since they did not win the SEC. Would there have been a similar backlash against UGA if there was a seeded plus one? One can't really say for sure, but I think more voters would have been inclined to vote UGA #2 or #3.

A true plus one doesn't work that way. A true plus one would have the winner of the now NCG play the now 2nd ranked team, which is Georgia.

What your speaking of is a 4 team playoff complete with seeding.

No. I think if they go to the plus one it's either:

1) Get rid of the NC game all together and play the four major bowls with there old conference affiliations. Then vote on #1 vs #2

2) Have a seeded 4 team "playoff" with 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 and the winner playing in the "plus one"

What your saying is #1 would play #2 and then whover won would play the new #2 team. That doesn't seem very fair to the team that wins the 1 vs 2 battle having to play a "tougher" game than whoever the new #2 had to play.

Last edited:
Yes but Georgia would not have got to the second spot if they had not played in the Sugar Bowl in place of LSU the Sugar Bowl bid would have gone to LSU as the winner of the SEC.

What you saying is #1 would play #2 and then whover won would play the new #2 team. That doesn't seem very fair to the team that wins the 1 vs 2 battle having to play a "tougher" game than whoever the new #2 had to play.

Your right. That's not fair. That's why the ACC and SEC commissioners are backing the seeded plus one system.

1) Get rid of the NC game all together and play the four major bowls with there old conference affiliations. Then vote on #1 vs #2

2) Have a seeded 4 team "playoff" with 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 and the winner playing in the "plus one"

What your saying is #1 would play #2 and then whover won would play the new #2 team. That doesn't seem very fair to the team that wins the 1 vs 2 battle having to play a "tougher" game than whoever the new #2 had to play.

I think thats the way it will end up being, fair or not. The BCS Bowls aren't going to give up the top matchups for the sake of being fair. Who knows how they'll decide it. But I doubt they agree to a seeding system as that gives them no choice over who plays in their bowl.

What your saying is #1 would play #2 and then whoever won would play the new #2 team. That doesn't seem very fair to the team that wins the 1 vs 2 battle having to play a "tougher" game than whoever the new #2 had to play.

#1 So it would still be up to someones vote as to which 2 of the 4 Bowl winners would play for the plus one for NC.

#2 The seed teams would be chosen how? by a system like the BCS?

#2 The seed teams would be chosen how? by a system like the BCS?

They'd have to be. College football isn't a level playing field. A computer driven formula that takes strength of schedule into account is probably the fairest way to do it.

If you had a plus-one like many are talking about then you would have had Ohio St. vs. Oklahoma and then LSU v. Virginia Tech

It still would have stunk.

And if you had an 8 team playoff West Virginia is left out. Oklahoma is in, but West Virginia is out.

Go back to the old way and enjoy the debates.

Georgia shouldn't even be considered for a playoff considering they not only didn't win the SEC, but they couldn't even get to the championship game.

As far as this not being a rule, how about common sense? Obviously if you're not goot enough to even play in your conference championship you do not deserve a shot at the BCS trophy.

I honestly kinda like the fact that Georgia was burned this year. After Richt had his team storm the field and dance around like a bunch of idiots in the endzone against the Gators that told me all I needed to know about him, the man lost a lot of respect from people around the country.

Georgia shouldn't even be considered for a playoff considering they not only didn't win the SEC, but they couldn't even get to the championship game.

As far as this not being a rule, how about common sense? Obviously if you're not goot enough to even play in your conference championship you do not deserve a shot at the BCS trophy.

I honestly kinda like the fact that Georgia was burned this year. After Richt had his team storm the field and dance around like a bunch of idiots in the endzone against the Gators that told me all I needed to know about him, the man lost a lot of respect from people around the country.

I honestly don't think anyone lost respect for Richt this past season except for people like you who, for whatever reason, have some sort of axe to grind with Georgia.

Mark Richt is one of the most well-respected men in sports -- respected not only as a coach but also as a person.

That has to be the one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on this board and that is saying a lot. Richt is one of the classiest people in all of college sports. He has adopted kids from other countries and he is extrememly involved in the community. Whenever jobs open up, his name never comes up because he is happy where he is as opposed to most other places. FSU where he coached for several years went and got Jimbo because they knew Richt wouldnt leave and Miami, his alma mater, didnt even bother calling.

He original intent was not for the whole team to run on the field but for the 11 on the field to get a penalty. He apoligized after when he had no reason to. He energized his team and they went on a tremendous run to finish the season. You obviously don't pay attention to sports because every person I have seen talk about the UF game has said it was a great move and Richt is probably the only coach could pull it over because of the type of man he is.

I thought that was a great show of team unity. Was it a bit of an insult? Sure, but you are there for your team, not theirs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom