Saints Curious as to why we never try a fake punt (1 Viewer)

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Taysom always lines up as the up back in punt formations. We had 4th&1 early in the game and I can’t help but think a direct snap to Taysom who takes it to the edge can’t get one yard. Is Allen that much of a wuss? We needed some type of spark in this game and we had a few 4th&very short. The offense was not playing well at all and a momentum spark like that would have been huge!

Taysom always lines up as the up back in punt formations. We had 4th&1 early in the game and I can’t help but think a direct snap to Taysom who takes it to the edge can’t get one yard. Is Allen that much of a wuss? We needed some type of spark in this game and we had a few 4th&very short. The offense was not playing well at all and a momentum spark like that would have been huge!
They would only try fake punts if they seen something during the week that showed it may work. No team will try fake punts willy nilly.

It’s possible our long snapper sucks at directional snaps…or more possible that our coach doesn’t trust the long snapper

They kept their starting defense on the field today for most of our punts on 4th and 1... That's why we didn't run any fake punts. I understand everyone hates the coaching staff, but they're not idiots or "gutless".

Its not just fake punts, we run no trick plays. I'm not saying we need to run them every week, but what do they have to lose? All the speed we have no reverse? Just seams like it's more lack of imagination by Perte then anything

They kept their starting defense on the field today for most of our punts on 4th and 1... That's why we didn't run any fake punts. I understand everyone hates the coaching staff, but they're not idiots or "gutless".

This is 12 games of gutless. Doesnt have to be a fake punt, line Hill up under center and push. Something. Anything. Even if you fail, at least it gives the illusion that youre trying.

Apparently people in the gameday thread thought field position was a key to this game and we shouldnt attempt short yardage on 4th down, ever. We won field position in the first half with 0 points. But we did punt 4 straight possessions.

He is 100% gutless. Consistently punting on 4th and short tells your offense, we dont trust you to get 1 yard, so instead we are going to try to figure out how to win with 0 points.

This was discussed in pre-game on wwl, they keep the defense just changing a safety for a returner so we would be better off just going for it vs fake

This was absolutely a game where the Saints needed to steal a possession or two. Up against a good offense on the road. Reminds when when Coach Payton said that about his gameplan for the Superbowl. He knew he was up against the Manning offense and needed to "steal a possession" which of course resulted in Ambush. But yes, season on the line, up against a superior offense, we needed to steal a few possessions by either fakery or just straight up going for it on 4th. We did neither. And lost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom