Curious: How likely is an NFL lockout next year? (1 Viewer)

I wonder if these guys (both sides) realize that while they're fighting over this stuff which is worth millions and millions of dollars that there are people out there that are having trouble just putting food on the table. I realize sports in america is a huge deal but c'mon man.........see the bigger picture here. Both sides have it so much easier than 99.99% of the people in this country.

I wonder if these guys (both sides) realize that while they're fighting over this stuff which is worth millions and millions of dollars that there are people out there that are having trouble just putting food on the table. I realize sports in america is a huge deal but c'mon man.........see the bigger picture here. Both sides have it so much easier than 99.99% of the people in this country.

Put yourself in the owners' shoes. How much are you willing to give away? If you are used to making $2000 a week and next week something happens where you have to make a decision on whether to make more or less what will your decision be? I know what mine would be.

A Falcons fan that hasn't talked **** in either of his 2 first posts. I'm impressed, hopefully you'll follow the path of USAF HART rather than some of the scumbags we get here.

Man dont worry, I am here to have serious and civil discussion about the games and the season. I just hope to meet some fans here that can discuss things in a positive manner and not resort to trash talking and making crude remarks. Its kinda sad that the first thing anyone assumes is that a fan from another team only joins a board to trash talk.

I have been reading SR for years now and just finally decided to join. I am just a football fan that enjoys hearing from the other fans of teams on occasion and since i have viewed the board for years i thought i would attempt to participate. I want to commend you for having a good football team and loyal fanbase. The rivalry between the Saints and the Falcons is what makes football season fun and i cant wait for our Monday night match up .

I would like to say no, but one of my rules in life is "Never underestimate the greed and stupidity of sports owners in any sport."

It's happened in every sport, and I do believe it will happen to the NFL again next season.

If the owners have a lockout there will NOT be any scabs either. Its a lockout meaning a season of emptiness.

I believe a lockout also is going to happen. Owners and NFLPA are not even close. They may seem like it today but until there is Tentative agreements between the 2 there is no progress.

Pretty much. A lot of people confuse this possible lockout with the strike of 1987. Which was a 24 days strike by the players.

IMO-

Lockout that pushes back camp- 75%

Lockout that threatens preseason or necessitates Scabs to play it- 50%

Lockout that threatens the first quarter of the season or necessitates Scabs- 25%

Lockout that threatens anything past the first quarter of the season- Zero chance

There won't be any scabs, if there is a lockout, there's a lockout = no football.

I have hopes that there will be a season, but camp may be pushed back.

GET IT DONE!

Man dont worry, I am here to have serious and civil discussion about the games and the season. I just hope to meet some fans here that can discuss things in a positive manner and not resort to trash talking and making crude remarks. Its kinda sad that the first thing anyone assumes is that a fan from another team only joins a board to trash talk.

I have been reading SR for years now and just finally decided to join. I am just a football fan that enjoys hearing from the other fans of teams on occasion and since i have viewed the board for years i thought i would attempt to participate. I want to commend you for having a good football team and loyal fanbase. The rivalry between the Saints and the Falcons is what makes football season fun and i cant wait for our Monday night match up .

In that case welcome aboard!

Think we'll see the entire season canceled? :covri:

Anyone here have any opinions/good guesses/theories on the subject?

No.

The players have pretty much unanimously voted to decertify the union if a deal isn't struck by the deadline, which means that there can not be a lockout.

Personally, I don't think that it will come to their having to do that. Case in point: both sides agreed to push back the deadline for the players to file a collusion claim (if they decide to go that route).

Keep in mind that this is not about the owners versus the players. It's about the large market owners versus the small market owners and how the large market guys want to grab a larger piece of the pie (one can draw a parallel to college football and the BCS if one so chooses. I choose not to at this moment as it would detract from this discussion. However, I feel that the comparison is valid for a number of reasons. But I digress...) and the small market guys want to maintain what they currently have. They are using the players as pawns and using their power and money to influence the debate.

But in the end, more rational heads will prevail and the NFL will be fine. Take note: there was a lot of talk in the last couple years about the chaos and other madness that would ensue in an uncapped year. What's happened? Where was all of the insane player movement that an uncapped year was supposed to bring? I'll tell you. Rational minds prevailed. And they will again.

One of the frustrating things about negotiations from our perspective is that the parties have every incentive to wait until the last minute. Deadlines get deals done. Nothing else really does.

As fans, we would love for them to come out tomorrow with a new CBA so we would not have to worry about it. But, really, why would either side give up enough concessions at this point to get a CBA done? That's bad negotiating. Right now, both sides are putting on their "we can go a year without football if that's what it takes" face. And they will keep that face on until the proverbial 11th hour, at which point the actual dealmaking either will or won't get done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom