Speculation Current Saints that won’t be Saints next season. (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
The Saints will yet again be facing a terrible cap situation next offseason (approximately $60-$70M over the cap). They have some vets that are about to hit free agency, as well as some other players that will likely be cut because of their high cap number. Based on the predictions of Underhill and Triplett, along with a few of my own, here’s who could be gone.

WR Michael Thomas: Thomas really hasn’t played in 3 years, and he simply makes too much money to keep. He’s also made some comments on social media that hint that he is unhappy with the organization (especially the medical staff).

WR Jarvis Landry: Landry largely looks washed, and he won’t be re-signed.

QB Andy Dalton: Dalton is what he is… and what he is equals a decent backup caliber QB.

QB Jameis Winston: Winston stated he was told that he would not lose his job because of injury, and the Allen did exactly that, “Wally Pipp’ing” Winston for Dalton. Winston will want to leave and the Saints will let him.

UT Taysom Hill: I believe the Saints will cut Taysom Hill for salary cap reasons.

OG Andrus Peat: Peat is too expensive and too injury prone to retain at his current price.

DE Marcus Davenport: Davenport is set to hit free agency, and Mike Triplett stated that he sees Davenport getting more $$ than Trey Hendrickson got. Saints can’t afford that.

DT David Onyemata: Onyemata has fallen off over the last season or so, even though he’s flashed a little recently. DTs with pass rush ability get PAID. Even though Onyemata hasn’t really put up the numbers, someone is going to give him more than the Saints can.

DB Bradley Roby: Roby will be an UFA, and he is almost certainly going elsewhere.

The Player formerly known as “HoneyBadger”: Washed and lost his heart.

KR/WR Deonte Harty: Harty made it known that he wanted a new contract prior to the season, and then he underperformed before getting injured. Rashid Shaheed has now taken his spot, and the door is open for Harty.

LB Kaden Elliss: Elliss has really emerged as a very solid LB and pass rusher since taking over for the injured Pete Werner. Just in time for Elliss, who will be an UFA at season’s end. He will certainly test the market, and likely find bigger money elsewhere.

RB Mark Ingram: Washed and an UFA. Needs to be upgraded anyway.

The Saints will yet again be facing a terrible cap situation next offseason (approximately $60-$70M over the cap). They have some vets that are about to hit free agency, as well as some other players that will likely be cut because of their high cap number. Based on the predictions of Underhill and Triplett, along with a few of my own, here’s who could be gone.

WR Michael Thomas: Thomas really hasn’t played in 3 years, and he simply makes too much money to keep. He’s also made some comments on social media that hint that he is unhappy with the organization (especially the medical staff).

QB Andy Dalton: Dalton is what he is… and what he is equals a decent backup caliber QB.

QB Jameis Winston: Winston stated he was told that he would not lose his job because of injury, and the Allen did exactly that, “Wally Pipp’ing” Winston for Dalton. Winston will want to leave and the Saints will let him.

UT Taysom Hill: I believe the Saints will cut Taysom Hill for salary cap reasons.

OG Andrus Peat: Peat is too expensive and too injury prone to retain at his current price.

DE Marcus Davenport: Davenport is set to hit free agency, and Mike Triplett stated that he sees Davenport getting more $$ than Trey Hendrickson got. Saints can’t afford that.

DT David Onyemata: Onyemata has fallen off over the last season or so, even though he’s flashed a little recently. DTs with pass rush ability get PAID. Even though Onyemata hasn’t really put up the numbers, someone is going to give him more than the Saints can.

DB Bradley Roby: Roby will be an UFA, and he is almost certainly going elsewhere.

KR/WR Deonte Harty: Harty made it known that he wanted a new contract prior to the season, and then he underperformed before getting injured. Rashid Shaheed has now taken his spot, and the door is open for Harty.

LB Kaden Elliss: Elliss has really emerged as a very solid LB and pass rusher since taking over for the injured Pete Werner. Just in time for Elliss, who will be an UFA at season’s end. He will certainly test the market, and likely find bigger money elsewhere.

Quite a story. All 3 QBs (Winston, Dalton, and Hill) gone, and without a 1st round choice.

Of that group, I'd be surprised they cut Hill. Need to find a way to keep Elliss. The rest, need to find a starting QB, and find a DE and DT because Cam Jordan is getting closer to the end of his career and need someone who can fill his shoes. Davis as well, but Elliss and Werner have been solid.

And yeah, we need a safety to replace HB.

Without a first round pick, we'll need to use FA to find an answer at QB.

Last edited:
Michael Thomas is too expensive to let go.

Taysom Hill is not going anywhere.

Landry isn’t washed up but he might not return for salary reasons.

Ellis is good but he won’t command a big contract. I think we keep him.

I hope Davenport leaves. Not productive enough.

Would be nice to move on from Peat also.

Winston will leave. Don’t really care. Dalton probably stays as we look for a young QB.

It's not a productive conversation without looking at the cap cost to cut guys under contract.
This. Like damn.. put in some effort and do the cap math to get us out of the $60 million hole.

And Post June cuts don't create cap space till June. Must be in cap compliance in March.

Last edited:
Michael Thomas is too expensive to let go.

Taysom Hill is not going anywhere.

Landry isn’t washed up but he might not return for salary reasons.

Ellis is good but he won’t command a big contract. I think we keep him.

I hope Davenport leaves. Not productive enough.

Would be nice to move on from Peat also.

Winston will leave. Don’t really care. Dalton probably stays as we look for a young QB.
Michael Thomas leaving is a foregone conclusion according to Underhill and Trip… they say he’s a June 1st cut and as good as gone.

Taysom has a big contract for a team that is way over the cap… I think the only way they keep him is if they go with him as the starting QB, and Dennis Allen won’t do that…

So if DA stays, Taysom probably gone

Literally 0% chance this happens

Michael Thomas leaving is a foregone conclusion according to Underhill and Trip… they say he’s a June 1st cut and as good as gone.

Taysom has a big contract for a team that is way over the cap… I think the only way they keep him is if they go with him as the starting QB, and Dennis Allen won’t do that…

So if DA stays, Taysom probably gone
Where did Underhill say that?

Post June 1st cuts of Winston, Davenport, Peat, Harty, Hurst, Roby, Trequan and Onyemata saves $44.5 million of the $54.5 million we are over the cap.

Cutting restructuring or something HUGE then has to happen with Michael Thomas, Cam Jordan, Honey Badger and Marcus Maye.

It seems like there's no way around something big happening with Cam and Michael. Their contracts are very high and we are so far over the cap.

Dalton, Landry, Tuttle, PJ, Ingram, Elliss, Evans and Gray could all be gone as well as they're all UFA and I don't see how we have the money to afford them. I hate it and really hope we can bring some of them back. I'm just not sure what kind of offers they'll get and I sort of don't expect players to stay with our team as much as they have the past 16 years.

Then again I'm no Khai Harvey or Mickey Loomis so we probably sign all of these guys and sign several big FA's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom