Current Salary Cap - Saints [post Ivory trade - MERGED] (1 Viewer)

saintsfanfl

They call me Boudreaux
Reaction score
Not sure where the additional money has come from because I don't recall any recent releases or restructures since about 2 weeks ago when we were listed at apporx 2.5 MIL under the cap, but SPOTRAC currently has us at: $3,512,707 under so it looks like we picked up 1 million from somewhere.

Cap Sp. '12 Rollover 2013 Adj. 2013 Cap 2013 Cap Hit Avail.
2,700,000 + -576,763 + 123,000,000 - 121,610,530 = 3,512,707

Yep, find it here:

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Salary Cap Breakdown

I've found them to be the most reliable. I've viewed two of these sites, and this is the one that actually had removed Ivory and his cap hit from the figures that evening.

Yeah, that's where I got the data from, I just completely drew a blank on the Ivory trade when I looked at the new figure being lower.

If I recall, the amount we have left is in the ballpark of our rookie salary pool.

Gonna hijack my own thread for a minute.

I just noticed on the list of rookies at the bottom of the Spotrac page, that Joe Caprioglio is listed. He is a OT from Colorado St. I haven't seen his named linked to the Saints before this, and the only thing I see on the web is a KFFL link that has him being picked up by the Cardinals as a UDFA.

Anyone know different?

Our lowest 9 contracts all have a $405,000 cap space hit.

So for every rookie contract and FA we sign above that amount, you can subtract $405,000 from that amount for the actual cap hit.

So we are in pretty good shape.

Only Vaccaro will have a cap hit that even approaches $1,000,000 and I think it will be much less than that, probably in the $600-800 K range after subtracting out the $405K.

In other words, we have room to sign a couple of more FAs who can have an impact on this team in 2013. And there will be more cuts coming up that we never see coming (although this year, it's more apparent who are vulnerable).

Our lowest 9 contracts all have a $405,000 cap space hit.

So for every rookie contract and FA we sign above that amount, you can subtract $405,000 from that amount for the actual cap hit.

So we are in pretty good shape.

Only Vaccaro will have a cap hit that even approaches $1,000,000 and I think it will be much less than that, probably in the $600-800 K range after subtracting out the $405K.

In other words, we have room to sign a couple of more FAs who can have an impact on this team in 2013. And there will be more cuts coming up that we never see coming (although this year, it's more apparent who are vulnerable).
That's not exactly true.

Spotrac still hasn't included cap information for Will Herring. After his inclusion, that leaves the lowest number of the top 51 as Greg Romeus at $552,456, followed by numerous others at $555,000. This means that any player who signs below that price essentially will have zero effect on the offseason cap calculation. Of course, their signing bonuses will count as dead money should they later be released, however.

Vaccaro is in fact the only rookie whose cap hit this year (when signed) will be above that limit, thus, he is the only one who will count. At this point you would subtract the cap hit of Romeus ($552,456).

To put it plainly, nobody is going to affect our offseason cap number at all, outside of Vaccaro. This stuff about rookie pool is really immaterial at this point.

The inclusion of Joe Caprioglio is simply a mistake, and irrelevant anyway.

We can sign whomever we want, but now the question isn't so much who can we squeeze in for three million or so, but do we really want to use that space now or roll it over to next year when we'll really need it?

Thanks WxM.

I was thinking that Sportrac only listed the top 51, but they are listing everyone.

So yes, it's a bit higher at $552,456, which is good, because it's even more to subtract from whomever we sign.

And yes, only Vaccaro will impact the salary cap, and not by much.

You make a great point about carrying over to next year, when we will be forced to sign Graham to a long term deal costing us millions on the salary cap.

Then again, we always have huge cap savings coming up in 2014 in cutting players like Harper, Greer, Bunkley. Restructure guys like Colston, Grubbs, and maybe even Evans.

You want to take several million in space into the season. You'll need it when injuries happen and you've got to sign bodies to fill the roster.

We can sign whomever we want, but now the question isn't so much who can we squeeze in for three million or so, but do we really want to use that space now or roll it over to next year when we'll really need it?

I think technically with Will Smith & Roman Harper coming off the books next year (assuming they'll be cut and I think we all think that's a legit possibility), we are in a much better shape next year compared to this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom