Curtis Johnson leaves Bears staff {MOD EDIT: Reportedly rejoining the Saints' staff} (1 Viewer)

Ya know, this crossed my mind too. When we rebooted the roster we should have rebooted the coaches.

Yet then i realized the reason for not doing it. Those assistant coaches are just as important as SP himself because they help carry the message to the new guys of how this is done. That's the reason you bring back a Roman Harper etc. So guys like Vitt/Johnson needed to be here to help reestablish that culture among the new faces.

If you fire them same time as the roster reboot its possibly harder for SP to get his message around without the guys like Drew, Vitt, Harper, Johnson, McMahon etc etc relaying expectations.

Now that the lockerroom has been rebuilt (and you hear about the FO saying they believe they have the right guys) its much easier to walk away from the other position coaches because now the new players are in their 3rd year and know how it goes so they can sort of relay the message/culture to the rookies/new guys to the team.

In short...you needed them to reestablish the culture during the roster reboot and now that that's done you can introduce some change because the foundation is solid.

I agree, very well said. It stands to reason that we needed to get the players and locker room straitened out first before making wholesale changes in coaching too at one time.

This would be huge if he is brought back. The best Saints passing game ever happened with this guy at the wheel!!!..............:plus-un2:

Cooks_Brandin.jpg

"I'm being used wrong Coach"

4801448.jpg

".............."

i

".......Never mind coach"

Love it! LOL!

Best WRs coach in football. Morton obviously did a great job but CJ is even better. This entire receiving group is young and smart allowing him to continue developing each one. Similiar to his last SB group here but more talent. Couldn't be happier the Saints have a coach getting promoted to an OC position which bodes well for future coaches deciding on us as the best place to rise up through the ranks. Best thing is we have replaced that guy with someone even better and CJ is not likely to ever leave again.

I would like to have an official word by the team on hiring Curtis Johnson. They had already made it official with Nolan, but have yet to say anything regarding Curtis.

Is there any chance Curtis Johnson might coach Colby Fleener into being a better receiving TE or will they not really work together?

Team officially announced the signing of both Curtis Johnson and Ryan Nielsen

Is there any chance Curtis Johnson might coach Colby Fleener into being a better receiving TE or will they not really work together?

He can't teach Fleener to play up to his size. I mean he can but a lot of that is mental to an extent. Some people play big or up to their size....others not quite so much. Steve Smith played like he was 6'6 when the ball is in the air... Fleener at times plays like he's 5'11...key word at times as I don't want to rag. He did come down with quite a few tough grabs in traffic just not nearly as consistent enough and not enough to be considered a Seam threat in traffic. Thats why that portion of our offense disappeared. It's why I have a close eye on the Ole Miss TE Evan Engram. He could be there in round 2 and would be a good 50/50 compliment to Fleener with Hooman doing a lot of the blocking work.

He can't teach Fleener to play up to his size. I mean he can but a lot of that is mental to an extent. Some people play big or up to their size....others not quite so much. Steve Smith played like he was 6'6 when the ball is in the air... Fleener at times plays like he's 5'11...key word at times as I don't want to rag. He did come down with quite a few tough grabs in traffic just not nearly as consistent enough and not enough to be considered a Seam threat in traffic. Thats why that portion of our offense disappeared. It's why I have a close eye on the Ole Miss TE Evan Engram. He could be there in round 2 and would be a good 50/50 compliment to Fleener with Hooman doing a lot of the blocking work.

That's definitely a mental thing. There must be a way to toughen a guy up, mentally, to get him used to...or not scared to be physical when receiving. Just an idea, but maybe throwing the guy some high balls while a couple guys stand around him with pads, hitting him as he tries to catch? There has to be something that'll help.

That's definitely a mental thing. There must be a way to toughen a guy up, mentally, to get him used to...or not scared to be physical when receiving. Just an idea, but maybe throwing the guy some high balls while a couple guys stand around him with pads, hitting him as he tries to catch? There has to be something that'll help.

Maybe Curtis Johnson yelling obscenities at you from across the field? Then making you hold a ball the rest of the day/night? :ezbill:

Toughness....we all know he don't have. All I need from him is just catch the ball when it comes his way. Too many drops last year that kill important drives. The drop touchdown pass he had at the end of the first half in the Detroit game and the Atlanta game still bug me.

I would think another man calling out your toughness would be enough. You have to believe Dan Campbell has at least had a conversation to him about it.

At the end of the day, he's just not a physical player and I don't think you can be 'taught' that.

We should focus on fixing his drops first because he was dropping wide open passes too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom