Curtis Lofton just said he is ALARMED at the lack of success ... (1 Viewer)

gtaz21

Groundskeeper
Reaction score
Well, that makes two of us.

It's a broken record, but it is the truth. We should have picked up a starting guard in the second round or in free agency.

Without time, it doesn't matter how many weapons Drew has. Doesn't matter.

Well, that makes two of us.

It's a broken record, but it is the truth. We should have picked up a starting guard in the second round or in free agency.

Without time, it doesn't matter how many weapons Drew has. Doesn't matter.
If Arnstead has to miss time this could get ugly (uglier).

They needed to take the OL seriously and they did not.

They haven't taken th Ol seriously in years. The downfall started when they lost Nicks since they used the tag on Drew

They haven't taken th Ol seriously in years. The downfall started when they lost Nicks since they used the tag on Drew

The downfall started when we lost Nicks and replaced him with an high priced free agent Ben Grubbs? We traded our freaking super star tight end for a center. We used a high draft pick on a tackle. What exactly is not serious about that?

The downfall started when we started whiffing on draft picks and free agents in 2013-14 and had to let go of very good players to hit the reset button.

The downfall started when we started whiffing on draft picks and free agents in 2013-14 and had to let go of very good players to hit the reset button.

2013 was one of our best drafts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Terron Armstead
John Jenkins
Kenny Stills
Rufus Johnson

Has the gap between this preseason and previous ones been that wide? Our offense is mediocre almost every preseason.

2013 was one of our best drafts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Terron Armstead
John Jenkins
Kenny Stills
Rufus Johnson

Jury is still out on Vaccaro if you ask me
Armstead...check :9:
John Jenkins...nothing special about him
Kenny Stills....traded to Miami
Rufus Johnson....who???

I don't think any notable free agents from that year are still here....

Folks, seriously, let's just take a deep breath and relax. Am I concerned about obvious flaws, yes. Unfortunately we didn't extend Drew this off-season and thus no money to make a move for a guard or another pass rusher. It's also unfortunate that we don't model ourselves after the Patriots in this regard, and that's stock piling draft picks instead of trading them away. I'm cautiously optimistic for a winning season, but in reality, we're a year away from being where we want to be

2009 week 3 we beat the Raiders 45 to 7
We scored in our first three possessions
Brees was 14/17 179 yards 2 TD

2011 week 3 we beat the Raiders 40 to 20
We scored on our first two possessions
Brees was 15/23 189 yards

2012 week 3 we beat Houston 34 - 27
We fumbled, and then scored, 3 and out, then scored
Brees was 17/25 179 yards 2 TD

2013 week 3 we beat Houston 31 - 23
We scored, 3 and out, and then scored
Brees was 4/6 106 yards 1 TD

2014 week 3 we beat the Colts 23-17
Touchdown, stalled, and then touchdown
Brees was 9/15 128 yards 2TD

2015 we lost to the Texans 13-27
Brees had one drive that led to a FG
Brees was 4/6 40 yards

2016 we lost to the Steelers 14-27
3 and out, stalled, touchdown
Brees was 9/12 78 yards 1 TD

The downfall started when we lost Nicks and replaced him with an high priced free agent Ben Grubbs? We traded our freaking super star tight end for a center. We used a high draft pick on a tackle. What exactly is not serious about that?

Somebody else said they weren't serious, but okay. Let's say you're right. Let's say they have been serious about the OLIne over the last few seasons. Then, you explain to me how the OLine is such a mess if they've been serious about it.

Has the gap between this preseason and previous ones been that wide? Our offense is mediocre almost every preseason.

I don't know if that's true, and I don't know where to get the stats for past preseasons.

I can tell you this, though. I don't remember Preseason Game 3's where Drew didn't play at least the whole first half. I suspect that Payton's not playing him as much because he's not confident in the line's ability to protect him.

2009 week 3 we beat the Raiders 45 to 7
We scored in our first three possessions
Brees was 14/17 179 yards 2 TD

2011 week 3 we beat the Raiders 40 to 20
We scored on our first two possessions
Brees was 15/23 189 yards

2012 week 3 we beat Houston 34 - 27
We fumbled, and then scored, 3 and out, then scored
Brees was 17/25 179 yards 2 TD

2013 week 3 we beat Houston 31 - 23
We scored, 3 and out, and then scored
Brees was 4/6 106 yards 1 TD

2014 week 3 we beat the Colts 23-17
Touchdown, stalled, and then touchdown
Brees was 9/15 128 yards 2TD

2015 we lost to the Texans 13-27
Brees had one drive that led to a FG
Brees was 4/6 40 yards

2016 we lost to the Steelers 14-27
3 and out, stalled, touchdown
Brees was 9/12 78 yards 1 TD

Ahh, yes, here are some stats. Based on the tradition that the 3rd preseason game is the one that most closely resembles a real game with starters playing into the second half, this indicates that the Saints preseason offense has diminished somewhat in the last couple years.

Folks, seriously, let's just take a deep breath and relax. Am I concerned about obvious flaws, yes. Unfortunately we didn't extend Drew this off-season and thus no money to make a move for a guard or another pass rusher. It's also unfortunate that we don't model ourselves after the Patriots in this regard, and that's stock piling draft picks instead of trading them away. I'm cautiously optimistic for a winning season, but in reality, we're a year away from being where we want to be

It's easy to say, "We're a year away ... etc.,etc." There is nothing in that statement that is realistic. That's just the talk of someone who knows THIS season doesn't look good. In "reality" we could be 5 years away from another winning season. Nobody knows. I do know this. Based on what I've seen of the offensive line this preseason, we should have drafted a guard in the second round or made guard the highest priority of all in free agency. I challenge anyone to argue with me that there was a more important acquisition in free agency this year than guard looking at the way Drew is being pressured.

Yes, I was screaming for a pass rusher this offseason. We got him in the 1st round. Then, we spent picks on other positions, I guess BPA. But, right now those picks don't seem as important as a starting guard would have been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom